Looking for best place to buy a Jon boat in Northern Central VA

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by rebcatman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I am starting to look into buying my first boat(jon boat), and would like to know which boat dealers I should visit, and which ones I should avoid. Thanks.

2. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When you get an idea of what you are looking for give Ed's Marine in Ashland a call. I have heard mixed reviews about their service but I did not have any issues with them during my purchase. They also had the best price I could find in VA but when I found a better deal in Maryland they beat it.

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    If you buy from Ed's in Ashland, VA pay attenton to the trailer. I bought a new 21 foot Carolina Skiff that they put on a 19 foot trailer rated for 2600 lbs. The boat, with a T-Top, fully rigged and loaded for fishing weighs in at close to 3000 lbs plus the trailers way too short. Now I'm in the trailer market!!!

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks all. I am looking for a jon between 16 and 18 feet, with a 9.9 and trailer.

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    I was looking for something similar for fishing the Occoquan and Burke Lake when I moved here. I was impressed by the people at Backyard Boats in Woodbridge. I'll get you the address and phone number if you want it. They have everything you could need to get rigged up in a nice john.
    If you don't mind the drive down to Fayetteville NC, you can get the best deal from some of the best people I have ever met. I guess it depends on how much that matters to you. Ed's is hit or miss at best, and you really have to know what you are looking at.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It may even pay you to go to A.K. McCallum in Fayetteville NC.
    He carries a few brands and has some package deals.
    Sometimes he has scratch and dents also.
    You can google them. They have a good website with availability.
    Its right off I-95 and would be worth the drive if you could save 500 bucks or so.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I went to backyard boats on Friday to get pricing on their boats. The only problem I see with them, is they only sale voyager boats, I'd like to see a couple of brands side by side to get a comparison. A 16 ft plus 9.8 and trailer there comes out to about 5,800.

8. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Mark J hit it on the head with the AK Mccallum suggestion. Those old boys have more on display in the showroom and yard than anywhere else I've looked. On top of the selection, you are dealing with guys that specialize in what you are looking for and have done so for a long time.
    I didn't buy my boat there, BUT I wish I had. I do have family in Fayetteville and drive down there quite a bit. 5-6 hours from here (I'm in Woodbridge), but I think you should definitely consider the trip even if all you get from it is a better idea of what you want. Just make sure you drive your tow vehicle!
    http://www.akmccallumco.com/

Good Luck.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They've been in business for a long long time which speaks volumes but I think the best thing is that they dont sell one brand, they sell several brands of jons and motors giving you more to look at and choose from side by side.
    They have had tons of repeat customers over the years.

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I checked out their site, and they do have a huge selection, so it may be worth heading down.

11. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can get you a sweet deal on a 19' center console with a 115 yamaha. If your interested of course.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    New/used...how much?

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks Rapp, but I will pass. I need to keep the motor to under a 9.9 so that I can use the boat in many of the lakes around our area.

14. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Almost new. It's an 04 seapro with low hours. Lowrance gps w/sonar and vhf. Great fishing boat. I have someone coming to look at it this weekend. 10,500/obo.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I was searching ebay a few months back for a canoe but ended up purchasing a river raft with a trolling motor mounted on it that will comfortable hold three fisherman floating down the river bass fishing. I would check on ebay too and see what kind of really good deals you could find. It will also help you get a price idea.

Wheelmobile07

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks Wheeler.

17. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Well, I think I might go out and play the lottery. The wife and I went out to look for a jon boat today, and much to my surprise, my wife "talked" me into getting a larger boat. She does not like the look of jon boats and said if I ended up with one, she would not go on it with me... Tough decision to make jon or larger boat. ;-)

So, while it is not exactly what I was looking for, or just right for catfishing, we ended up settling on a crestliner 17cx. I can still use it in the smaller bodies of water I fish, and also take it out on the rivers.

18. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Congrats on the new boat rebcat. Hopefully I will be getting mine at the end of this month. Anyho, glad your wife talked you into getting a bigger one anyway ;) Good luck on your trips.

Wheelmobile07

19. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks wheeler. Now, I just need to find an experenced boater to help me out for a while. Hope you get the boat you are looking for too.

20. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Head out on the smaller lakes like Burke or Occoquan Res. You'll learn pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry about too much since its a 17' boat. I went from jon boats to my 18' CC and love it. My kids are much safer and it runs the river and the bay without any issues. Congrats and enjoy the boat!!