looking for advice

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by payton350, Mar 19, 2009.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi everybody, I am going to a local river this weekend the nishnabotna west fork here in Iowa for the last week and half know temps have ranged from high 50's to low 70's for the highs with high 30's to mid 40's for lows I plan to fish the mouth of a tributary. I plan on using cut bait of some kind whether I can catch something or go and buy chubs or goldfish and I always bring shrimp. I plan on going right around sunrise and fishing into the afternoon, this river also has a crap load of snags so I may try those as well but I am thinking that the tributaries are going to be a better bet. I want to fish both the shallow and the deep around the mouth and snags. Actually the spot I am going to has everything within 30 yards. I may even try live bait for flatheads even though it wall be day time and I am sure it is to cool yet. I went fishing about a month ago and the water temp was in the mid 30's so I am sure it has to be in the 40's by now. anything you guys would do different or advice would be appreciated. I also plan on giving a report afterwards, I hope I can have good news.

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Not much to add to that Aaron. Except to wish you "Good Luck"... Fished a local spot like that the other day. 18 foot just before the mouth 6 foot on the other side, some wood. Got one channel on cut gill at 2:00PM Only stayed til 5:30. Kinda wishing I stayed later... Plan on hitting it again this week..

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds like a plan to me bro,i think you got it right,but you may want to take a variety of baits like the shrimp,liver,you know just so if they dont like one thing you have something else to throw at them.Good luck and let us know how you did.

4. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    worms can work well in this type of area also this time of year.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would take some chicken liver and if you got any, some dip/punch bait.

6. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Payton, what section of the Nish are you fishing?

7. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished the section around the highway 34 bridge in Mills county just north west of hastings Iowa.

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    you pretty much have the info needed the only thing i can tell you for right now is here in so il the temps are about the same as they are there and here latley i have been using shad guts and they have been working like magic i have had over 50 fish and 2 new pb in about a month and a half its been fun but i thought i would relay the shad guts to you have fun and good luck bro:cool2: