Looking for advice

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by bmaultbay, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I am from Tennessee, fish for bass and crappie most my life. Did some small tackle catfish through the years, nothing serious. After seeing a 55 pounder back in the fall, while I was bass fishing, I was hooked. Now just looking for some advice or help with tackle and basic big cat knowledge. Look forward to hearing from anyone or if anyone in the Clarksville area is looking for a fishing partner(s) to coach, I have 2 buddies, one has a boat, we just need a guide and a point in the right direction. As most on this post I too am retired army.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Guess I would start off with a good baitcast reel that can hold 100-150 yards of at least 20lb line. Also I like the baitclicker feature for when I have more than one pole out.
    Some will say thats not enough but its a starting point. If your after that 55lber I would upgrade to a abu garcia 7000 or 10000. Penn's are also very popular and seem to be workhorses that hold more line than abu's. Couple one of those with a mh or heavy casting rod and you should have a good combo. I have a bunch of different combo's from bottom fishing with a abu 6500 on a mh ugly stick. To a 10' bobber flinging rod also with a 6500 that I use to position bait in precise locations at precise depths. Also is more fun for me since I like watching the bobber. I always have both these rods with me no matter where Im fishing.
    Wont be long and you should have alot more and better advice from some big cat catching people. I mainly target channels but will be targeting big blues in the near future, and I fear my channel setups wont hold up.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well derbycitycatman pretty much summed it up... most people use live bait like goldfish, shad, skipjack, bluegills, chubs, minnows, they use chicken livers, night crawlers, shrimp, sardines, chicken hears, home made stink bait, much much more hope this helps... :)

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    If you want to catch a big fish, use a big bait. Judy and I use large blue gill and sometimes skipjack, the bigger the better. We use a 10/0 Kahle hook on 50 pound test line, medium heavy 8 foot ugly cat sticks with Penn reels. We hook the bream and skips through the eyes and scrape a few scales off one side to make the fish seem injured and it releases amino acids into the water also. We fish the boils and float back bumping the bottom. When you hang one, it will be a good one so hang on. Oh and with a Kahle hook, there is no need to set the hook, just let the rod load up heavy and then do some reeling. Hope you catch a biggun buddy.

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I hear a lot of people talking about this circle hooks can anyone give me some info and why they set themselves?

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks to all who responded to my help request. I have searched through numerous other postings on the site, an unbelievable amount of information is available here. Once again thanks!:)

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Check out the terminal tackle threads. There are some great posts in there on circle hooks.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Brian, one day soon we'll get out there. You don't need a professional guide, you just need someone that knows how to read a depth finder and can show you how to do that. Sometime in the next week or so, we can give it a try if you want. I've done pretty good here and will show you some great spots we've found and at least get you pointed in the right direction. Tied up this weekend, but maybe sometime soon. I live 14 miles from the steamplant so it's not far for me either.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Matt, The way I understand it,the shape of the circle hook makes a fish hook them selves as they swim away with the bait. The point and barb must be exposed for the hook to work correctly.

P.S. The biggest mistake fishermen/women make is trying to set the hook! DO NOT SET THE HOOK while fishing with a circle hook.

10. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Good info here, just have to ask the right questions.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good luck. If you have heavy ba$$ tackle (flipping stick etc) you can start with that. take the reel off rod and use a small rubber band slid up pole from bottom, past reel seat , install large capacity reel. When fisshing cast out , tighten line then pull a loop in line just in front of reel put loop under rubber band, push free spool button on reel. then when fish runs line reases and you keep your pole.

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Bryan,

I would enjoy the trip/lesson with you. I too will be out of the area for about the next 2 months myself. I travel a lot with my job. But, when I do return I would definitely appreciate all the guidance and advice you can provide, I have a couple of buddies, both are active members of this site as well, I am sure who would feel the same way.

13. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Bryan where do u work I have just goten back in town and getting things setup to hit the river tonight and most of the day tomorrow hoping to getinto sone nice blues and flats. going to have my son get on some crappies while we are out

14. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I work for Westar Aerospace and Defense Group. I am currently in Knoxville, will be here for the next 3 weeks, then off to Texas for a couple, then Alabama. I do have weekends, occasionally, at home in Clarksville. I do plan to get in the Tennessee River while in Knoxville, I brought my new boat on this trip:) , and hopefully catch a little something. If anyone out there has any good advice for this area, I am all ears. As I have said before I am fairly new to the catfishing sport and am willing to learn from anyone.

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi brian gosh you have come to the right place as these folks truly do know the anwsers and are willing to share them . get yourself a realy big net because if your planning to catch a 55 pounder it is going to take one. also have alot of patience 55ers dont come very often ,and then have your camera handy take a pic. and turn that big bad dude back loose to fight again another day. bigcatman0816