Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums, been reading up an flathead fishing and I was wondering if there are decent populations of flatheads in the Saline and Smoky Hill Rivers near the salina area, or would the only thing I catch be a tan and some skeeter bites?

I have also fished Ottawa State Fishing Lake recently and have heard that there have been some good sized flatties caught from that lake as well. I have not tried catfishing up there, just been there fishing for bass and panfish. caught a 5lb Saugeye on

Any tips for fishing a smaller lake, I was planning on using a free sliding three-way rig with a 2oz bank weight on a 8# and a 7/0 daiichi circle hook with a bluegill on a 30# mono leader. I'll be using a shimano spirex rg4000 with 40# power pro.

I am new to serious catfishing and am looking forward to any advice you can throw my way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, according to the KDWP's website all streams other than the Kansas, Arkansas, and Missouri Rivers are privately owned. There are a couple of access points listed in the Fishing Atlas, but if I want to fish either the Smoky Hill or Saline Rivers I am correct in assuming I need permission from the land owner correct?

Thanks in advance for the help, I do not know much about river fishing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, there are a few public access spots on the Smoky Hill river and probably the Saline river but if you want to fish a spot on private property, you need to get permission from the land owner. However, the KDWP has a program where they lease private waters and open them for public fishing. I would look for these spots. You should be able to find an atlas (the Kansas Fishing Atlas) that shows where all these spots are in just about any place that sells fishing stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there are several spots that i know where to catch flatheads on the salina and smokey. have you tried the falls at indian rock? if so and no luck all i can say is new cambria then. i dont go as much as i should but if you catch me when i can ill take you

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds like you got the right idea, tackle wise. The mono leader will be a good shock
relief if it is taken with a great amount of force. Some folks say that 3ways will break
and you should use a ball bearing barrel swivel. I've never been that particular, I just
use whatever is in my tackle box at the time. Those ball bearing swivels are nice but
they cost quite a bit. Whatever gives you confidence I guess. Glad to hear from ya!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.