Looking for Advice on a good Rod and Reel Combination for cats

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by pursuing_cats, Feb 16, 2006.

1. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I have been fishing from the banks of the Cumberland and the Steam Plant area for a few years and I am using a 7 ft MH ugly stik and a Rhino baitcaster. I want to get a more durable rod and reel that will handle heavier line and tackle and all sizes of catfish. If i were to catch a large fish I am afraid I will never get it to the net because of the tackle I am using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ugly sticks are great, a tiger and a 7000 is the best bet in a big river. You can catch a 50 pounder on a MH ugly cat. ugly sticks I could almost swear are unbreakable. Braid like Spiderwire is a good bet Ill go with 100 pound on that river. I never had any luck w/ mono. I recommend Catfish Connection.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    pursuing cats......seems that you may have better luck trying a spinning reel/surf rod combination from the bank which would allow you to get a farther cast. Just wonderin what would work better for you thats what most bank fishermen use around here I am a baitcast man myself but i always fish out of a boat. just thought you may want to consider a spinning reel combo from the bank. just my two cents

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Patrick The abu 7000C3 is hard to beat for casting distance and sized big enough to handle any cat you get into. I would load it with power pro super braid. I have 3 loaded with the power pro and love it. I use 18/80. 18 lb diameter, 80 lb break strength. Use 20 to 30 yards of mono backing to keep the braid froim slipping and fill it up with the power pro.

As far as a rod. I would recomend the tiger rod also unless you want a little more length for longer casting. Then I would recomend the ugly stik big water rod. They come in lengths to 15 ft. CAtfish connection has them on sale right now in the 10 and 12 ft size. I have a 10 and it is very stout. For an all around rod I would go with a 7.5 or 8 ft rod though. It would be a good compromise. I have 2 8s and 2 7.5s and can cast nearly as far with them as my ten footer. Also easier to use in case you would go fishing with someone on a boat.

For a good reel on a budget I really like the shakesphere tidewater and for a rod on a budget The american priemer pro looks like a great rod for the money. Catfish connection our sponsor have both. I also have one comb like that and it does very good for the money invested.

5. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Thanks guys for the info. I have spent the last few hours looking at the Catfish Connection website and I think I have narrowed it down. For me it will be the SHAKE UGLY STK TIGER 7ft CASTING, MH.and the 6500C3 or the SHAKE TIDEWATER T30L BAITCAST REEL and for my wife, since she does not like baitcasters it will be the BERKLEY GLOWSTIK 9ft and the SHAKESPEARE FREELINER. Again thanks for the information. Man I love this web site. If you have anymore info on the choices I made, I am not purchasing till Sunday.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Just a thought here. Don't count out a penn! I use abu's and recently bought a penn 209 which is just a little more than the shakespeare and wish i had a few more now that i bought one. A 209 or 309 holds alot of line and will winch in a truck. LOL No kidden take the time to look at one. You won't be disappointed.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You should probally read "Berkely Glowstick fishing rods? "thread before your purchace just a heads up

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Personal opinion here, but I would go with the Med. Tiger over the MH. The tip is more sensitive on the Med., a perch will bounce the tip.........but it has enough backbone to handle any cat. Mine spooled with 80# Power Pro made very short work of a 50#+ blue last summer.