looking for advice for first time fishing santee cooper

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fisherman63650, Jul 3, 2008.

1. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
    comiing from missouri on aug. 10th looking for any pointers for catching some nice cats. I never fish a lake I always fish swift missouri, mississippi,and ohio rivers. but i am looking forward to fishing the santee

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Drop us a line a week or so before you go. Our water levels dropped to the lowest in 50 years back in the early spring, rebounded, and once again it's on the way back down dropping an inch per day. Let us know where you will be staying as that will help in giving advice. It's about 50 miles from the upper end of the lake to the lower end, so fishing methods vary some depending on where you are. Remember we have the 36 inch rule on blues. MOST IMPORTANTLY: This is a very dangerous lake system because of stumps and tree tops just under the surface. Also you can be several miles offshore and run into area that will only be 2-3 feet deep. Unless you are pretty familiar with the lakes, a general rule is once you get out of the river channel, you'd be advised to slow down. Also let us know what size boat you'll be in, it can get pretty rough with any wind over 10 mph. Every year here folks lose their lives from being in big water with a little boat.

3. fisherman63650

State:
    missouri
    i will defanatly talk to you all when i get closer to going . i have a 20 ft sea arc w/ 90 hp suzuki 4 stroke its deep and pretty wide.(sorry about my spelling)

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    In the summer I like to fish shallow at night. I usually fish any shallow water from bird island outside of harrys to 16 island outside of Rocks pond.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where will you be staying at?

6. fisherman63650

State:
    missouri
    dont really knw were we will be staying. ithink it is harrys fish camp or something like that. does anyone know any place good to lodge at? and does any one have info on catching bait ? at home we use a throw net to catch shad and use cappie rigs to catch herrinh(skip jack).

7. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Santee has lot's of lodging for fishermen. None of them or fancy, but if you are going mainly to catfish they'll all do. As far as bait, Harry's and most other places sell Herring and sometimes shad. Usually anywhere from $6-$8 per dozen and they are anywhere from 3-6 inches long. Lot's of folks catch white perch fishing a small hook and small piece of worm. Your cast net can yield a few shad, but they are easier to catch when the water is cold. I'd advise buying some herring or shad before leaving the ramp, then try your luck at baitfishing.......after that trial you'll know what to do the rest of the trip. Your 20 footer should do OK, but be careful I've been in a 25' foot boat at times when the lakes made me feel like I was in a 12' jon boat. Harry's is the best location on the lake to stay as far as having lot's of fishing options close to you

8. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like real estate its goes like this, hire a guide, hire a guide, hire a guide. I fish Santee at least twice a year, always hire a guide. I won't risk censorship by recommending one, But look for one that will clean and freeze your fish until you leave the area.

The Santee lakes system is home to some great catfishing, somedays it will be, we killed 'em" yesterday and some days it will be "wow I caught them today".

Go hire a guide and the rest will be history, been there many times and will be going back untill the rod no longer has line.

keep them lines wet

9. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I live in the upstate of SC and only make an occasional trip to Santee, but I have to agree the the others about the hazards. The lakes I usually fish are US Army Corp of Engineers Reservoirs where almost every hazard is marked. Santee is not like that at all. If I'm outside the channel markers its idle speed for me. Stumps everywhere! Watch the weather too. Those thunderstorms come up fast. I used a guide for the first time this year, mainly because of gas prices (didn't haul my boat down or stay over night). My son and I caught 132 lbs. of fish on an 8 hour trip. I learned some tricks too! Never fished there in August, but Its hot and buggy in the Low Country in August. I'd fish at late evening, nights and early morning. If a spot doesn't produce in 30 to 45 minutes I'd move.

10. TrophyCat

TrophyCat New Member

State:
    Berea,Ky
    You can also stay at Hill's Landing or Canal Lakes which are both located in the middle of the diversion canal at the bridge. You can then go upper lake or lower lake, personally like the lower lake better but have fished both. As far as bait goes, it can be bought at either one and the perch can be caught at either end of the canal just off the rocks. Both Hill's and Canal have ramps so dunking the boat is not a problem. Watch the weather as it can change fast and the water can and will get rough. With the 90, you need a head start in if drifting out in the middle if the weather turns bad so just stay aware of whats happening weather wise, other than that, Have a good time.