Looking for Advice @Chickamauga Dam in Chattanooga TN

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Spongiform, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's been a tradition of mine to go visit my Grandparents in Chattanooga, TN. This year I'll be spending most of july there. For all the times I've been there I never did any catfishing, but that's about to change!

I took two shots of the map of that area and marked where I'll be primary fishing from (shore fishing). What kind of catfish can I expect in july from there?

I'll be fishing with chicken livers, worms and any cut or live bait I can catch at the same spot.

I'll put my penn 209 to the test then. I'll probably be using Big Game 25lb line.

Map1 (closeup)
    Map2

So any advice or stories for fishing those areas?

I'll be camping out at night along those spots with my Girlfriend, Dad and probably a friend from Canada who I havn't actually met yet! (long story :p)

~
    Brian

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Brian there are some good cats all up and down that river below the dam. I have fished from the dam to just about where you have marked. The fish you see me holding here come from there and the one in my profile did to.

That river is full of blues and I saw several people fishing from the bank. A real good place is right next to the dam. The local expert on this board for that area is Richard Simms he is a sponsor on here a real good man and an awesome guide.

http://www.sceniccityfishing.com/

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've heard it's pretty good fishing right above and below the dam but those spots are within walking distance from the grandma's house - plus I can camp there for free :)

4. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Brian, I fish that lake very often, but usually the upper and mid lake section. I really haven't heard a lot of fishing reports coming from the lower end of the lake. Bubbacat is right! The area below the dam (Nickajack lake) is really good for blue cats and I would suggest trying it while your in town. If you have the time get ahold of rsimms (Senic City Fishing), he fishes that area for cats a lot and has been having a lot of success with the BIG blues lately. I'm sure he would give you a trip to remember. Either way I hope you enjoy your visit and fishing on the TN river here in Chattanooga.

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll look into that - not sure if I can afford it, but we'll see :)

6. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Brian, I agree with Bubbakat and drc3 about Richard Simms and his ability to put you onto trophy cats. He is cheapest of any guide I know of and if nothing else I would suggest a 2 or 3 hour trip late in the day. I'm sure you will catch a Blue that you will remember for a long time. On his web site he posts a weekly fishing report as well as on Tennesse Wildside.
    http://www.sceniccityfishing.com/wavfiles/fishreport.mp3

Good Luck and I hope you have an enjoyable trip to Chattanooga