Looking for a small gaff/billie stick

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jeremiad, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I carry a small hammer right now, but would prefer having a small 12-to-16" club with a gaff hook on it. This would be quite convenient to have tied off on my kayak and would serve a double purpose.

Has anyone seen something that would serve this purpose? I have seen a nice and quite expensive gaff made by XTOOLS, but it is far too light to serve as a dispatching club.

Maybe there's someone out there who has made one and can share some great tips!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You could visit your local truckstop and pickup a club like they check their tires with and possibly mount your own gaff in it... just a thought...

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Not a bad idea...in fact, I was considering making my own. I think its a little strange that there aren't more options out there in the marketplace.

I guess gafffs are no longer politically correct. Thank God for catch-and-release fishermen, but there are still some of us that catch-and-eat! :0a18:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There are plenty of gaffs available just get the Cabelas Salt Water catalog or Offshore Fisherman.Or go to their websites.You probably wont find a combo such as you describe,HOWEVER following the example of a guide, I have used a small childs aluminium baseball bat for the club portion quite succesfully.You will get some strange looks from time to time because you can hear the "Clonk" all over the lake.Now if you were to take that bat and drill and tap a hole in the handle end you could probably screw some type "Hook" into that end and have a dual purpose tool.:smile2:

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go to the local home improvement center, get a piece of 1.5" dowel (like for closet rod), cut it to length (if the store won't, but you can find short peices), screw-in a large heavy wall hook (drill a pilot hole 1st) from the hardware department. Drill a hole in the other end to loop a rawhide bootlace through it so you can loop it over your hand, and for $5 you got what you wanted :wink:

Smitty

6. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Someone did gently remind me that a gaff/club combo is probably not a good idea because I would be combining two tools that I need to use at the same time.

A fellow kayaker pointed this out; few others would even realize this. When in a kayak, you don't have much room for a thrashing fish on board. If you want to keep the fish you just pulled in, you would gaff it, then "subdue" it before you brought it aboard. This would require both the gaff and club simultaneously. The hook could be rather dangerous too when pointed back at you.

So much for my "Swiss Army Knife" solution!:tounge_out:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shakespeare makes and Ugly Stick billy that might be just right. Don't know how easy they are to find.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bass Pro sells the same billy under one of their brand names, calling it a "pacifier". Its solid fiberglass with a handle. Makes a pretty good whacking stick.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I once made a good billy using a length of water hose about 15" long and a 5" piece of rebar. I split one of the hose into quarters, inserted the rebar, then wound wire over that area to keep the rebar in place. A thong on the other end kept me from losing it out of my hand. I used it a lot on small sharks.

10. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    broken pool cues work good. Just drill a hole in one end and insert some cord for a loop and put a large framing nail through the other end and bend it the way you want.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I carried a sawed off sledgehammer handle treated in thompson's water seal for many years.I re-treated it about once a year.A fiberglass hammer handle may well work for your needs.You are going to need a float or tether line to your boat or you will lose it sooner or later,usely while needing it the worst.Many a gaff was made with a large Shark or Gator hook.Just bend down or file off the barb and bolt it through the eye and wire wrap the hook to a good solid sledgehammer handle.A oak or hickory sapling or limb the right size and length will make a excellent club or gaff handle.A large Stainless Steel welding rod will make a fine gaff.There is plenty of both of that in your location.The old south Florida shrimpers took a old steel Bluebird frozen orange juice can.Stuck a commode plunger handle in it and poured the can full of lead around the handle.The steel can was cut or allowed to rust off.This was popular to use on the big fish,Sharks and even Saltwater Crocodiles brought on board in the nets.You hit the Croc. in the knot on top of it's head.It was not how hard the lick,but where and how sharp a lick.As a kid,I saw these things on the boats.Did not look like much but they claimed that it "did the job".I love you brothers and sisters.peewee