Looking for a small, cheap boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by joecatfish, Apr 25, 2006.

1. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I would like to find a small, inexpensive boat to get me out on the water, as opposed to bank fishing. Rowboat, Jonboat, Canoe, Kayak, all would be fine. I really don't mind rowing or paddling, so no outboard is ok. Funds are limited at present. Any suggestions? Houston Area.
    Thanks
    JoeCatfish

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

For a small boat try any of the communities near a large lake or river, as those around here always have an abundance of old cheap boats for sale in people's yards or pawn shops.

For a canoe, try any canoe outfitter as they are usually replacing a few to many canoes every year and will let the rough ones go for a song.

Good luck.

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks, Tulcat. I think I should go up to conroe or Livingston for a weekend and just poke around for a good deal on a small boat. I actually did contact a canoe rental place, and they said they only sell once a year, and they seemed a little secretive about the date.

4. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Lawnman61 and I have a 10 ft 2 man boat with motor that we are selling for $500.00 if you are interested. We can email you pics if you are interested.

5. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I am interested, but $500.00, it would take me a little while to raise. What size motor is on the boat?

6. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Al knows and I will ask him tonight.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Joe, I don't know if you ever have occasion to visit Little Rock, but if you happen to be coming up this way, I've got an old 14' jonboat for $100. It's rough, and needs several rivits on the seats replaced or tightened. The transom seems solid.

8. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I would LOVe to get up there, Jerry, love Ark., and the boat is just what i am looking for, but don't know when I might have the time. Thanks.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hello Joe, Welcome to the BOC Sir.
    My fishin' buddy has a 14' flat bottom in pretty good shape, I think he is asking $400.00 , it has seats and an old trolling motor. I think he still has the Evinrude 9hp for it too. He never did get a title for it though.
    I've read where ya have to jump through hoops to re-title one. But at $400.00 it's not a bad deal. I've got pictures I can send ya if you would like to see it.

10. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks, T-bone. I don't have $400 to spend right now, but could have it in a few weeks, I think. I would like to see it, but it might be sold by then.
    Thanks,
    Joe

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Joe, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send ya some pics of it.
    It's just sitting out in the back at his house. No for sale sign so it will be there until someone comes along (like on the BOC) or one of his friends.
    I think the lil motor is probly worth $400.00 in parts alone.

12. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Can't PM because I don't have enough posts yet. Sorry, tomorrow I will think of something to post, other than just wasting a post, and PM you.
    Thanks again, T-Bone

Joe

13. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    have u ever thought about building a phram. its just a small wooden boat that pretty easy to make . i normal make 1 or 2 a yr for people .alot of people use them in there ponds
    eric

14. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I have considered it. I have (probably) most of the tools needed. You are talking about one of the little stitch-and-glue boats made from 1/4" plywood, right? I have never seen one, aside from the pics on the internet. I would like to ask how safe they are, how hard and long to build, and how much the materials? That could be the answer.
    Thanks, Eric
    Joe

15. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey Joe, the motor I have that goes with the boat my wife was telling you about is a 2 hp johnson 1962 model and it runs like new and it has a folding lower unit and the whole thing fits in a small carrying case.
    If you think you might be intrested in it, let me know and we could work out some kind of arrangements. I can send you some pics if you want.
    PM me and I'll get your email and send pics.
    This little boat can also hold a trolling motor, it's all ready setup for it but I don't have a trolling motor..

AL

16. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Joe
    Just remember that here in TX if your boat has any kind of motor on it, you have to get TX# on it. It can get kind of spendy to do that, depending on what you have to do to get the #'s.

17. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Does that include electric trolling motors? I would be very happy with a canoe stable enough to fish out of, or a row boat.

18. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Greetings Joecatfish,
    I have fished from canoes since 1968.
    If you are leaning towards one, I would not recomend one shorter than 15'
    You can use PVC pipe to make a set of outriggers if you are not comfortable at first.
    Regardless of the stories you may have heard, they are very stable.
    I use mine on the West fork of the White river here in Indiana and can go up river without alot of trouble. ( it does take longer of course )
    I generaly put in and go up river untill I find a good place to camp & fish and I am there for the night. ( that's living life)
    Good luck on your search. A local canoe rental here sells used ones for under $200 you might look around your area for one.

19. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    If I could find a canoe for under $200.00, I could aford to buy it right now.
    Thanks,
    Bill

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Joe, just to throw another bone out there for you to chew on... realizing that it is not an immediate answer to your needs, but ebay sells project boats very, very cheap. A lot of these boats are in the Houston area. The real cheap ones usually don't have a motor, and usually have a soft floor. BUT, they can be fixed up over a period of time to where they are right back up there with a $3,000 or $4000.00 boat. Of course you need a yard to be able to store it in while you work on it... if you have to replace the floor... it will run somewhere around $300.00 to $500.00 for new lumber and fiberglass. But if your able to put back $25.00 or so a month, it don't take long until your able to work... like I said, it is definetly not an overnight solution to your needs, but it could give you a real good boat on a shoe string budget. Luck.