Looking for a scope for my Remington Model 700

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Fry Guy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I just got a new 243 today and since it has been a while since I've done any hunting or had to by a scope I was wandering what would be good for this gun yet not cost an arm and a leg. I want something for some longer range shooting and something that is reliable. Any thoughts?

2. citori59

citori59 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i am very partial to tasco scopes and have been using them for 30 years. they make several models but i have always shot the world class series. good scopes, good warranty, good price.

3. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    If your going for long range go for the best you can afford. I know I went through this but you get what you pay for!
    Leupold has some real good scopes that are in the 150-200 range. If your intrested I have some old tascos in a junk box.

Ned

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Tascos are not bad for a cheaper scope. I have a Redfield Tracker scope on my Remington 700 BDL 30-06. It works great and it is in the middle of the road on price. Leupold are in the high end on price ,but thy are good scopes too. Just get what you like and what fits your needs.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I lke to get the biggest lense I can by. I currently have a BEC scope that I got from Sportsmansguide.com. It has a lighted reticle and variable power. Great for lowlight/longdistance. I an hold sub 3/8" groups with it at 100. It cost me just over $100.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    bushnell is not a bad scope for the money and i had a bsa on a remington and all in all it was a good scope.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a remington model 700 30-06 with a bushnell whitetail scope on it 3x9x50 and I can shoot very accurately with it, for the money it is a very nice scope. It has really good anti fog and light gathering also.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've used Tasco, Simmons, Leupold, Redfield and Weaver and the best by far is Leupold. I like the longer eye relief on the Leupold and it also has finer reticles. I bought a Simmons Aetec and was disappointed with it because of thicker reticles and it was the same money as a vari-x 2 Leupold. I can't afford the high-end vari-x3s. Something to consider though is that with a .243 recoil wont be a problem so you may not want to pay extra for a little bit more eye relief. I've never had any problems with any scopes before so I vote for getting the best you can afford and like the best.

ST

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Got a Bushnell Trophy series on my 25-06 and it puts me on the mark for $120 plus tax, but hey, if you can make room in your budget for a Luepold, go for it, I would. My next deer rifle will have a Luepold on it.

10. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Let me preface all of this by saying I haven't looked through the rifleman series myself...so this is all hear-say:

If you go leupold, it'll cost more...but you get a top quality scope. However, stay away from their "Rifleman" series which is there entry level scope. It's not a bad scope but you get a much better scope in the same price range from the competitors.

Bushnell Elite is what I have on my 22-250 and it's a great scope for the money. Not "cheap" but won't cost you a fortune either...and you get a lot of scope for the money.

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks for the inputs guys. Just talked to my buddy back in Oregon and he still has my leupold scope from my 300 Win Mag I used to had and said I could just have it back since I gave it to him a few years ago so that should save me a few hundred dollars.

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you made a good choice.I have several different brands but none of them are better than my Leupold scopes. longer eye relief and gathers more light.I shoot one on my 270 and my 300 Rem. ultra mag.and my wifes 308.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've shot tasco world class for years and they're not as good as they were 20 years ago. I've got a leupold and a nikon, and the nikon seems to have the clearer glass. The shocker though is the bushnell "trophy" series of scopes. I've got two of them in 1.5-4.5. One on a .308 and the other on a muzzleloader. They've been on there for 4 years and have never lost a zero! Neither has the nikon, but the leupold has to be re-adjusted each year. The bushnell trophy is very clear, almost like the nikon, and won't break your wallet. You can find them now and then for a really good deal on ebay.