Looking for a reliable baitcasting reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SouthGADan, Aug 28, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    First off, hello to everyone. I've been lurking around for quite some time, and I finally got tired of not being able to post. Great community and a goldmine on knowledge you guys have here. Yesterday, my Abu Garcia 6600 bcx reel locked up in the middle of a cast. Upon further inspection, I found that the worm shaft had locked up, resulting in it's damage, as well as the pawl that goes in the grooves, and the plastic cog that connects the worm shaft's cog to the spool's cog now has a some broken teeth, as it didn't fare too well head to head against the worm spool's brass cog. Fortunately, I have receipt and original pack so I am returning it to walmart. So now I am looking a reel to replace it; I jumped the gun last time and will not make the same mistake again. I have a few preferences: I'll use 15 or maybe even 20 pound test, and I would like it to hold around 150 yards or more. I want something that casts well as I will be bank fishing. I'd really like it to have a bait clicker, as I will bottom fish with it while I fish with another rod. The most important thing is reliability. I'm not looking for the ak-47 of reels; I just need something that will last for years with only regular maintenance and minor repairs, if any. I have around $70 to spend. I will buy used if I can get something that is in good condition and still has a few good years left in it. So, are there reels that fit the bill? Or am I being too picky? The first thing that comes to mind is the 5500c3, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much, and I know there are other options out there.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like you need a C3. It will run about $80-$85 but its exactly what your needs explained. The reel you have now is the cheap one and I've heard nothing but bad about them.

I use the C3's and love them...excellent reels plus they look good too ; )

3. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh,,,and welcome to the BoC ; )

I forgot to say 6500C3

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Yep, go ahead and spend a little extra money on a 6500C3. You won't be sorry.

5. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    New or used 6500c3 you wont be disappointed

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Abu Ambassadeur 5000 & the 6500 run $70 at wally world.:wink:

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I was thinking that... Once I get my money back for current "junk iron", as my grandpa calls all inferior devices, I will get one of those. Anyone know what I should pay for a used 6500c3?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    BTW, Welcome to the BOC Daniel.

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Does it have to be a baitcaster? You can get the abu's everyone recommended or you can get the Penn 209, 309 they fit in that price range. The Penn 320GT2 is only $10 more. The Okuma 450CL is in that price range also, level wind, good drag, holds alot of line. There are plenty of Spinning Reels that fit your needs and price too. Alot of people swear by baitcasters but i can cast spinning reels just as far as anyone I've seen toss a baitcaster. And the accuracy is just as good. Penn makes their spinning reels like winches too :wink:

10. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Well, I did just buy a casting rod for the now broken reel, so it has to be something that works with that. Up until recently I had never used anything but spincasting reels; I'm still getting used to baitcasters, and have never so much as used a spinning reel.

I actually looked at those penn reels after seeing in another thread that you had gotten one. I've just not heard as much about them as I have the abu's. I'm fairly confident that a 6500c3 will last a while after what I've read about them, but I just don't have the same confidence in the penns. I'm not saying I think they're inferior, I have no idea, but I'm just a bit unfamiliar with them.

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I hear ya. Im new to baitcasters as well. I only have 4 (2 baitcast 2000s) 1 Penn 320GT2 and an Okuma 450CL. The Penn is so much smoother than the okuma and casts further but they both work find for me. When I fish I typically take the 2 baitcasters and 3 spinning(open face) reels and I've caught my biggest fish on the spinning reels. All 3 of my PB Catfish were on a 10ft Penn Spinning Combo. I think the baitcasters are better and tougher but Im waiting to get my boat and then I can really put those baitcasters to work. I understand how you feel about Penn, However Penn is #1 in Saltwater fishing and top 3 IMHO in freshwater, Abu being top 3 also. :wink: I hear nothing but great things about Abu Garcia and really want to try one, just not convinced to purchase a new 7000 at the price. Well good luck with your purchase, hopefully everything works out, tight lines

12. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    The shimano baitrunners are a very good reel too if you like open face reels.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC! 100% 6000 or 6500 Abu Garcia reels for me! You won't be disappointed! Don't let anyone fool ya. The 6000 has the same line capacity as the 6500, and they work great as well.

Bill in SC

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    get you a nice penn 320 gti and ya be allright (LOL)

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the thing is you get what you pay for and the truth is if you are willing to spend it now you will save it in the future.... if i were you i would save a little bit more and buy another ABU. i have a 5500c3 and it does a good job, i like it for the smaller fish and for muskie fishing. i personally like the 6000 and 7000 series for cats. they have a mail in rebate on them right now if i haven't mistaken, and you will get $20 back im thinking.

16. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Darn Penn guys...just cant help themselves can they...LOL.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now JJ you just mind yer manners (LOL)

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Rogers sporting goods(you can find it through google) still has Ambassadeur 6000B's listed at $49.99. That's a great price for a great reel.

Edit: Oh, as long as you don't need a lefty.

19. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I've looked at the penns a lot, and while it's a close match, I think I'll go with an Abu now. There's always room for another reel though. :wink:
    I can't find anything about the "b" designation; would that make it any different than the other 6000's I've been looking at? It just seems to good to be true, you know? Abu's website has no info; I can't find anything about it there

EDIT: Apparently "B" means small arbor spool and line out alarm. That seems to be a really good deal; too bad I can't pick both at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    You might seriously want to check this out then. Going to be next to impossible to get more bang for the buck then this deal.....

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123026