Looking for a pair of gloves to handle catfish

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by crab, May 19, 2008.

1. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    What kind of gloves do you guys use to handle your fish? Sometimes those big flatheads have a tendency to get unrully when you are handling them. Those jaws clamping down can hurt a little. So I was gonna get me a pair of gloves to wear for handling them,What do you al suggest? thanks!
    Crab

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gloves,? Don't need no stinking gloves:wink::smile2::smile2:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gloves. Don't need any stinking gloves, either. LOL. Bare hands - thats the way to do it. Now, if they gave you some type of fatal disease, I'd want protection, but not from just a little old rub mark.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What are gloves? Doesn't Calous make a type of them? :eek:oooh:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Crab, I hope this is a joke Buddy! Why would you need gloves. The cuts, scratches are battle scars and I proudly wear them. I still have places on my thumb from that 7.7lb Channel I caught with Danny and them a week and a half ago. I had blood running down my hand but the adrenaline took care of the pain!!! He bit the he!! out of me 4-5 times HARD!!!
    Don't use gloves, wear the scratches $ scars proudly!!!! If not I'll show you a pair I have I don't use but keep anyway, their only a couple bucks and seem they would work good.
    You really disappoint me.....:crazy::embarassed::tounge_out::wink::smile2:
    One of these days I'll make a real catman out of you and you can teach me more about those other multi-species...errrr....multi-bait fish.:wink::smile2:
    Stick with me and you won't want no stinking gloves for fish, I promise. You're too big & mean to worry about those little bites and don't catch enough Blues to worry about it. Their the worst!:crazy::smile2:

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    :angry: WHEN U GET THE FISH IN THE BOAT BITE THE WHISKERS OFF AND THEY WANT BE HARD TO HANDLE.
    PEEDEE CAT

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just make sure that when ya do find the rite gloves they match the dress that ya wear. LOL! Had to do it.:big_smile:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have a pair of gloves in the boat that I never use. Although One of these day's I just might have too. Right now my thumb is scratched up from a 31 pounder I got over the weekend. Don't hurt and it looks cool.

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Ok let me clairify myself . The gloves are for my hands but they are so I dont drop the fish and hurt it since I practice all catch and release. You know the fish do have slime coats and you want to protect them all you can!! Is that better! Good excuse huh lol:smile2::big_smile::wink:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Crab I like the way you wiggled out of that one. Good answer. Reps to you.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry Scott, its a bad excuse. You hold the fish by the mouth, your not going to remove much of the slime, but you are gonna get some raspberries across the knuckles and fingers. But, at least you tried. I'll go along with Mickey and give you some reps for at least trying. LOL

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey crab, I've picked up a pair at Bass Pro that are orange and have some sort of rubber zig-zag coating on them. They help in getting a good grip on the skin while supporting them. I'll be coming down to your area this weekend, send me a pm with your cell number and I'll hook up with ya and show them to you.

Here's a link to them.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...er=8256&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

:0a26:​

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I see how you are Johnny....Coming down this way and don't even bother to come see me...:tounge_out: I only live 10 mins from Crab.:wink::smile2: Maybe 30 or so minutes from your Dad. Thats ok, just be that way snob!:crazy::wink::smile2:

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    As I get older, I find my skin, among other things, ain't what it used to be. Minor nicks aren't so minor, take longer to heal, and, thanks to my daily asprin, bleed like a stuck pig. I wear gloves more and more these days.

Try el cheapo brown jersey gloves. Very grippy when wet.

16. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I promise ill come and get you when he calls, I know I couldnt go anywhere without my fishing buddy!:crazy:

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least he pm'd me his number!:wink:

Where's your's?:cool2:

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You used to have it, what did you do, erase it??? SNOB!!!:crazy::tounge_out::wink::smile2:
    I'll PM it to you again. I also lost yours when I got my phone ruint.:angry:

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Plain ole Brown Jersee Gloves stick to -em like glue, and cheap too.

I do know the pain,,I had a 45#blue clamp down on my hand and start spinning around,,By the time it was all over the tops of all 4 fingers were stripped almost to the bone, bleed like a stuck hog...LOL

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Scott, i really like these....i don't use them often, but they work great. wally world is still selling them too.:big_smile: