Looking for a new rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Oct 6, 2008.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Hi,

I'm looking for a new rod for catfish and would like to get a good 2 piece rod, I can't carry a one piece in my car otherwise I would get one.

Can anyone suggest a good 2 piece rod?? the more opinions the better
    :confused2:

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ron,
    There are all kinds of rods out there that are good two piece rods. What are you wanting to pay? I am a cheapie so usually go the cheapest route. Berkely big game makes a good rod in my opinion, and can be bought at wal-mart for about $20.00 Also, check out some of the BOC Sponsors who custom make rods, they are a little higher but are of very good quality from what Ive seen here.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am a Berkeley 'Big Game' guy too. They are called toy rods by the hot shot rod guys. That being said, I haven't ever experienced a failure with one of 'em yet, and I've caught some NICE fish on 'em. It just depends on your budget. If I had an excess of money, I'd get some high dollar rods. I don't skimp on reels and fish Abu Garcia exclusively. Rods, on the other hand, can be compromised somewhat. Just my humble opinion.
    Bill in SC

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Currently I'm fishing with a Diawa Triforce (Graphite, 18$) and a Diawa Crossfire
    (composite) that I found on clearance for 12$. I've been very happy with both rods. They are comfortable, cast well, and handle 10+ pound fish with ease.

Shakespeare Ugly Sticks are also pretty sweet, but the price is going to be in the 30$ bracket. Still hard to beat for a good tough rod.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Welcome aboard Ron. The guys are right about the Berkley Big Game Rods.Try the Catfish Connection website you can get a pretty good idea there if Wal Mart doesn't have anything. I've bought through them before good deals.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This time of year, many Wal-Marts have the 'Big Game' rods marked down to $11+.
    BB in SC

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    big cat rods cost around 60$ a good rod for the money,i own 2 of them they work for me

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    go to cabelas and pick up a king kat or a whupping stick

9. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    I went out today and bought my new rod and reel, There was a guy at my local Gander Mountian who seem to be very knowledgeable and he suggested the following.

ROD: Berkley® Glowstik™ Spinning

REEL: Pfluger Trion GX 7

Did I make a good chioice ???? :confused2:

10. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Ron I got several Glowsticks love them. I just think if the light was a white L.E.D it would be so much better than the blue.

11. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Yeah I tried it out in a dark room and although any light in a rod is cool, white would be much better... I guess some light in the dark is better than none..........lol:big_smile:

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    welcome to the BOC/SOC hope u find your way around ok and enjoy it as u find your way around

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ron,
    I own three of the glow sticks all 8' and have no complaints so for. The best way to shop for a rod is to (1) What kind of fish are you going after.(2) what size of line and what type of line you want to use. (3) What type of reel do you want to use. (4) what type of action do you want ( most cat fisherman use M/H and Heavy depending there fishing (5) buying a rod is like buying a hunting gun IE: you would not use a ultra light to go after cats just like you would not use a 22 to hunt bear. there so many choices out there and everybody has there choice I myself have 53 rod and reels that are ready at any time to go fishing and there are all for one thing are another But the main thing is you yourself have to be happy with what u choose and u do not have to please anybody else. Good luck and again welcome and I hope this helps your next combo.

14. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN
    Thanks catman !! I looked and looked and I liked the feel of the 7' Glowstik, I went with a medium because where I fish a 15-25 lb cat is a good catch. I don't have to worry about those monsters and if I get lucky enough to hook one I'll fight it like hell with my 7' GlowStik :)

Thanks again

15. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Well i don't use anything like berkly,shakspeare,bass pro,cabelas,or egale claw manly cuz i fish in saltwater alot and would not be seen dead with one of those but i would get a blue runner rod vary cheap at $40.And no i am not ritch i just don't stimp i don't even have a boat.

16. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If your dead set on a two piece then i would go with a ugly stik tiger, model depending on maximum fish size. If you are willin to go with a one piece then i would go with a catfish safari rod hands down.:cool2:

17. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well most of the people here like the berkley big game i bought one and it snapped the first night. i normally stick with shakespeare ugly sticks they cost 20-30 for a decent 2 piece 6-8 foot rod. they also have the catstick which is around 20-30 bucks depending where you buy it from walmart has the best deal for this. in my opinion i personally like the tigerstick by shakespeare i think it comes in 2 piece. it runs anywhere from 40-70 bucks but for the price you get a lot of rod for your buck, they are great med action rods that can take the best fish can give out. Well have fun and hopfully you can find that right rod for you.:cool2:

18. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    UGLY STIK heavy action,or medium heavy.

19. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

State:
    MN