Looking for a new rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by IL Hunter, Jun 20, 2006.

1. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    My birthday is coming up in about a month, and my girlfriend wants to get me a new rod. I currently have an ugly stik spinning combo and an abu 6000 on a berkley big game rod. The big game rod is just not doing it for me. I'm up for any suggestions on a rod that would be good for me. I catch mostly channels in the the 4 to 10lb range, but I've been targeting some flatheads lately. I want something that will be strong enough to muscle out the big ones, but have a senstive enough tip to go after the smaller ones that I catch. Any replies would be appreciated, and if a reason why you like the rod would be helpfull too.

Thanks!

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Hmm. No Replies. I've got my choices narrowed down quite a bit and they are all over the spectrum. One is a Cabelas King Kat, but i'm not very excited about that one. Next is an 8' MH Berkley glow stick casting rod. I like the fact that it is pretty strong, and the lights would be alright for not fishing, but that has nothing to do with why I would want it. It seems to have a lot of backbone. Another choice is a surge rod. I could afford it, but the lenght is a bit much for me. I need something I can break down for travel and storage. I don't really have room for a one piece rod even though I do like them better. Any thoughts on any of these rods?

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    One thing I forgot to add. Will the glowstick handle fit ina normal rod holder. I have a Berkley big game rod and the handle does not fit into normal rod standard sized rod holders and that is a big turn off for me.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm not sure abt those,but a rod I have and love is the American Spirit Nite Stick.catfish connection has them from 7-10' I have a 9' red/white casting and I love it.The price isn't too bad either.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

shakespeare has a rod that's matched up with a tidewater look under the combos. the rod is black 7 foot and comes in one and two piece for break down. The rod also comes in a spinning but I am not sure about the reel I had one and liked it, sensitve tip with a lot of back bone. the reel I had on it was a diawa sealine. both were stolen and sold before I found the sorry *#*#*#*#* and gave him a big helping of country justice. this is just a suggestion and remember if all else fails stick with what you like.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tyler, I am now 63 yrd old and have been fishing since I was four. Thats about 59 good years. I don't know of one fish I caught that I would not have caught on another pole or reel. I think to much emphasis is placed on the equipment and not on the patience or skill necessary to fish. I don't catch fish every time I go out...don't expect to either. But I don't replace the rod and reel If I don't. If I want sensitive I use an ultralight. If I want back bone, I use a surf rod, if I want a heavy back bone, I use a salt water boat rod... but the deciding factor on wether I catch anything or not is with the fish. If they want to commit suicide, I'll catch them. If not, I'll be back tomorrow. You gotta love it or quit it.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ugly Stik Catfish Rod with a Abu 6000, or 7000 will do the the trick for you for those size of fish. If I had one rod I had to use in all fishing situations it would be the Ugly Stik Catfish rod for sure. $30, and one of the best rods ever made in my opinion. Very sensitive, and a lot of backbone, the guides on them are tough as nails too.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    What I'm really interested in is a rod that can throw a lot of weight, as well as fit in my rod holder! It' is really frustrating when the rod wont go in the rod holder.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 7' casting and a 8' spinning Glowstik.The handle diameter on both measures 1 3/8 inches.They came from Catfish Connection approx.1 1/2 years ago.peewee-williams

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    how long is your rod holder?i have a 9ft 2 pc king kat rod that has a sensetive tip,strong backbone,and you can cast a mile with it.i have a quantum iron reel on it now and i would even reccomend an abu 6500c3 or a 7000c3.either reels would make a deadly combo.i use spider wire stealth 50# on all my 6500c3's on 7ft ugly stik catfish series and i use them for both channel and flatheads.SW 50# has a 12# diameter so it is sensetive enough for channels.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Its not the length of the rod holder its the diameter. The berkley big game rod has a big fat handle. Besides it not fitting into a rod holder I don't like the feel in my hands. I've still got some descisions to make. This is a tough one!

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Depending on how much you want to spend, I have two suggestions.

1: Gator Rods. I have heard so much on here about the pride this man takes in his custom rods that I have no doubt about the quality. He may or may not be able to accomodate you due to number of orders, health, etc.

2: Ugly Stik. As far as I am concerned they are the best mass produced rods out there.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Which is more important the rod or the rod holder? Find the rod you like and then find the holder to fit it.

14. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    I looked at Diawa Beefstick rods the other day for the price these rods seem awesome I ordered 2.

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    My girlfriend went ahead and bought me a berkley glowstick. It seems pretty solid. One day I will be after a gator rod, but I've gotta pay some bills and save up a bit of cash. I think the glowstick will do me just fine for now.