Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am back at it again doing some armchair research into reels that may meet my specs. I want something low profile that has a line capacity in between an Okuma Komodo 350 (100 yards 30 lb) and Okuma Classic 300 (281 yards 30 lb). It needs to be able to handle a hundred pound Blue and not cost a fortune (so a Shimano Tekota is not going to be it). Big reels on the Team Catfish rod look odd and the small ones (Team Catfish, Komodo 350) just dont have the line capacity. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kastking Kapstan 300

That has the same line capacity as a Komodo, no power handle, and is expensive. I should of noted I wanted something under $100 with a power handle and meet the quality standards of an Okuma Classic. Maybe a Piscifun Chaos? Have they improved that reel since release? There is also the Catfish Pro reel. No power handle but I have seen the internals and already own one.

Criteria for new reel:

Capacity between Okuma Komodo and Okuma Classic
Durability of Okuma Classic
Low profile for "smaller" MH rod (Team Catfish rods)
Power Handle
Under $100

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I'm unaware of a good low-profile under $100 that meets those criteria. I'm interested to know as well. Please let us know when you find one. The closest I've come is the Kapstan (was $109 when I got mine) and the slimecat low-profile at $114. The piscifun chaos 60 I have is a nice reel but not low-profile. Piscifun has an interesting low-profile with 33lbs of drag but the line capacity doesn't seem up to par with what you're looking for.

That has the same line capacity as a Komodo, no power handle, and is expensive. I should of noted I wanted something under $100 with a power handle and meet the quality standards of an Okuma Classic. Maybe a Piscifun Chaos? Have they improved that reel since release? There is also the Catfish Pro reel. No power handle but I have seen the internals and already own one.

Criteria for new reel:

Capacity between Okuma Komodo and Okuma Classic
Durability of Okuma Classic
Low profile for "smaller" MH rod (Team Catfish rods)
Power Handle
Under $100

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe a Lews Speed Cast Round Baitcaster SC600 reel? Colors may even match the Team Catfish rod and reel. Its at $100. It should be able to handle about 139 yards of 30 pound line which is 39 more yards than what I am using. Anyone have experience with it? Does a small channel catfish making a quick run feel like it would spool the Lews reel if it didnt stop?

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,618 Posts
If you are interested in the SC600 then you might be interested in a Quantum Nova 350. About the same capacity as a 6500 Abu, has an 18lb drag and is smooth as butter. I do like the two I have had for about 3yrs now. It does have a thumb bar and the clicker is not very loud if that matters to you. They run about $75-90.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bass Pro Cattmax Steve Douglas has beat those to death over the years and they come back for more
Steve has had incredible luck with them! My experience was a little different. Had issues with the button and clicker on mine after using it awhile.

If you get a narrow spool avet...the levelwind won't be missed much. I got an okuma Cortez (similar to avets) without a Levelwind and I rarely need to guide the line back on
I may have to try that one although its a little over budget.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still have not found anything I like for the Team Catfish rods. The Lews SC600 is now giving me issues. The Okuma Komodos are rock solid but 90 yards of line isnt enough. I almost had one spooled just the other day! Okuma Classic's are just to big. I've had issues with the Catmaxx in the past. I need a levelwind for clients and to keep my own sanity. I may up my budget to stay away from Chinese clone reels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts