Looking For A New Place To Fish & Camp

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by oh no, Apr 10, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love to go to KY Lake and spend several weeks there, several times a year. Well fuel prices are putting a stop to that. I'll go once this year, first full week of May. :embarassed:

I'm looking for ideas on places that I can fish and camp with my truck camper and 1960 Roughneck. I have looked at the East Fork of the White in Southern Ind. but thats a long way for me also. Ohio river is too far too as If I drive 340 miles to it, heck I might as well keep on heading to KY Lake and the LBL.

I'm up here, right next to Lake Michigan, Michigan City, Ind. just 7 miles from New Buffalo, Michigan. I would not mind a 100 to 200 mile drive, but with gas at 3.40 heading for 4 bucks a gallon, my 8 mile to the gallon rig, is only going so far.Then I'm too broke to even buy chicken liver.:angry:

You folks by Terrahaute, can I find a place to set up by the Wabash River. I never have fished it. What's at Monticello?? I'm looking for ideas fella's. I would even get a non resident MI license if I had to. What I'm not in the mood for is a camp where my boat cannot stay in the water for the week. I also do not like real high camping fee's. 20 or more a night and they can kiss my butt. I have every thing I need in that camper including a generator. All I need is a place to park the truck and a ramp to launch the boat. Plus good fishing, or good company.

I'm sure there are other folks in the same boat as me. That darn gas price puts a limit on my fishing. I could start fishing Lake Michigan. I never have had my boat on it, I'm sure it would do OK.

2. IndianaBanana

IndianaBanana New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would try Montezuma, IN. It's about 20 miles North of Terre Haute, on the Wabash. On the South edge of town is a city park with a boat ramp where you could park your truck. Fishing in that stretch of river is pretty good. I don't believe anyone would bother you while camping there, but it wouldn't hurt to contact the Town Marshall for his approval. Another source of information would be the Montezuma Fish & Game club. They can give you details about camping & fishing in that area.

Montezuma Fish & Game Club
    831 N Water St
    Montezuma, IN 47862
    (765) 245-2700

3. IndianaBanana

IndianaBanana New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another place would be at Merom, IN, 25 miles South of Terre Haute. There is a city park, but you could also park at the bottom of the Bluff right on the river.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont believe IDNR allows camping at Merom. There's only a small parking lot at the ramp, it gets a lil crowded with more than a bout six rigs down there.

5. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Check out the Delphi area of the Wabash, right where the Tippi and the Bash meet. There used to be camping through there, but it's been a while since I've been that way. Hey Riverscum, I'm sure you know of a nice spot up in those parts.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you all the places I fished in Kentucky Kentucky Lake is the best, expecially fishing some of the canals, and channels that runs into it

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    typer is correct bro. i think they still have a few camping spots around delfi monticello, area. they mite be under renovation since the bad floods though. the river is shallow there too,oh no. if you have a bigger rig maybe something on the two lakes are more to your liking. some good fishing over there too! you can fish for eyes, smallmouths,white bass, crappie channels, cats n flathead cats. you mite also like the reservoirs over by wabash in., like salamonie or missasinawa.

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I was sleeping in my truck one time at Montezuma and got ran off. I dont think that they are too hip on people camping there. On weekend nights in the summer, that park gets alot of teens in it partying and revving up their engines and such. There is a campground just north and east of the 36 bridge. I see people camping there all the time, but I have no idea who owns it or how to get to it.

9. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    the best way to camp is on your boat. you can always dock up on shore to cook or eat and sleeping on the boat isnt as bad as you might think. with qa loud bait alarm, youll wake up when you get a bit. and definatly have a secure rod holder while fishing and sleeping

10. whiskerfish1

whiskerfish1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    You might try and check at covington. the ramp has a big parking area. the ramp is good and fishing not bad. I would check with dnr or local police to see about camping.