looking for a new deer rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by iabowhunter, Nov 9, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'm looking for a new deer rifle for Iowa's January antlerless season. I am looking at a Savage and a Remington model 770 both in .308. Both are package guns that come from the factory with a bore sighted scope.

Any one shoot either the Remington or savage package guns?

What do you guys shoot as far as caliber and make/model for deer.

I'm not stuck on .308...just never had one and always wanted one.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i just got a savage .270 bolt action but i havent had a chance to shoot it yet:sad2:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im picking up a remington 700 in .270 this week. Camo stock and blue barrel. This will be my first high powered rifle. Im getting it mostly for coyotes.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats pretty much all i will ever use mine for except the occasional deer hunt in kentucky.. i also have a bull barrel .223 handi rifle that will flat smack a coyote on his buttat 400yds!! :wink:

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    What model Savage did you get and if you don't mind, what did you give for it?

Those Handi rifles are pretty sweet guns!!!!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I bought my son a Savage pkg deal in 7mm/08 6 years ago,he's killed several big mulie bucks with it,I think it was the model 110.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    mine also is a 110... less than $500 with scope... the stevens model 200 is the same gun but $100 less!:wink:

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    A few friends have the Savage 110 package. A very good friend that was a military sniper and has done cross training with the British sniper training program is now a gun smith specializing in military weapons development and testing told me point blank that the Savage was the best over the counter gun you can buy. He had bought one when his Weatherby was put on the wrong plane and would not make it to him for a couple of days on a hunt. He now owns 11 different rifles straight over the counter (unless he bought some more in the last 3 months, which is possible) in calibers from 223 to 338 Win mag. He also buys there actions for some of his own creations. When he travels now about all he takes is the Savage Rifles. He said why take a chance on loosing a $2000+ rifle when a $450 one will do the same job.

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the replies. I have always heard good things about the Savage rifles. I owned on chambered in .223 many years ago but sold it. I am off all of this week so I think I'll be taking a trip to a few gun shops and see what I can find. I hope to find a package gun or maybe a good used one.

If I can find one chambered .243, .270, .308, or 30-06 I'm going to snag it. I think any of those cartridges will do just fine for a deer rifle.

Thanks again!
    Phil

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    try gunbroker.com

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm an advocate of the 270 myself but the 308 is also an excellent round. Plenty of knockdown with good accuracy. Get what feels best, they are both good guns.

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like the Savage also. My next rifle is going to be chambered in the .308. I like this caliber, but what I really am looking at is it's also a nato round. With Ammo going crazy around here, I'm just trying to think ahead of the game. Good luck on your search. I'm guessing you are trying to get ready for the Jan. 09 hunt? Later Andy

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Id say get a 300 weatherby magnum, cause you only want to fire once!:eek:oooh:

14. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    I've had a 270 since 1975. It's a remington 700. Killed more deer with it than I can count. I just recently bought a remington 7600 in 308. Always wanted a 308 and a pump. It shoots as well as any rifle I have. I know some guys that have savage package rifles. Excellent shooters.

15. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    That's another reason I want to get a 308. I like the idea of going to wal-mart to buy ammo. Yes I am getting ready for the Jan antlerless season. Had a blast last year. It's alright as long as you can keep warm!

LOL been there, done that. Don't really want to do it again.:smile2:

16. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Savage is an excellent gun for the money and the .308 is an awesome caliber. I have a .308 in a Tikka T3 and killed a coyote at 256 yards the other day with it. The Tikka isn't a package gun but for the money it will shoot and out shoot most over the counter rifles made today.It has to shoot an inch or less at 100 yards or it's not shipped out. The Tikka is made by Sako in Finland one of the best factory gun plants in the world. The Fins know what they are doing and you can't find a smoother action for the price in the gun business. You can probably get a synthetic version for less than $500. I picked up mine for $450.00 in a walnut stock and blued barrel a year ago. A guy ordered the rifle and when it came in he decided on another caliber, so the shop owner sold it to me for $450.Best deal on the Best rifle I have ever shot for that price Just another brand to check out. My first choice would be the Tikka for better quality and second would be the Savage no frills accurate rifle. Decisions decisions!!!!! Good Luck!!

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've killed deer and own 308 win.,270 win.,25/06 Rem 243 win.,30/30 win.,30/06. Of the rifles I have owned and shot I have yet to find one of them that will not kill deer. I have the Rem. model 7 in 308 Win. cal. and to me it is the sweetest. If you was stuck on the 308 cal. you could not have picked a better cal.It is great on deer and big enough to take after a grizzly if the occasion should arise. I would feel completely confident any where in the US after any game with the 308 win.cal. Just my .02Cent worth.

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I would look at the trigger guard and would get a steel trigger guard if
    possible. A friend of mine bought a remington 710 package gun. It cycled
    well and shot good groups but the first hunting trip he snapped the trigger
    guard off flush with the stock on the gun rack of his atv. The store where
    he bought the gun wouldn't do anything and he never contacted remington.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure the main differnce in the package guns are mostly the cosmetice. Have your friend check a gaurd off of the model 7 or 700 or 788 Remington and see if it will fit. If it will he can order the metal guard that way. Everyone would consider a broken trigger guard abuse or neglect.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bought a package Savage 110 in 30/06 over 10 years ago, less than $300. Go ahead and start planning on picking up a new scope as the one on mine lasted less than a year, scope was a bottom of the barrel Bushnell. It did get me through deer season though and I am hard on my toys. Mine doesnt have the accu trigger but I hear great things about it and Savage rifles and Remington rifles. Ive heard many times that Savage is the best grouping rifle out of the box and I believe it. Any way you go I think you'll still get a great rifle.