looking for a new decent sized spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by switchback, Aug 18, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought a glowstick rod and reel combo, and the reel has a plastic handle like soft plastic. I caught a five pound channel and it felt like the reel could break at any time so i dont think it will hold a big fish. What wold be a good choice to replace it with. Thanks

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 10' glo stick with a large Okuma spinning reel. It holds 330 yrds of 30 lb test or 520 yrds of 20 lb test mono. It is one massive reel! Okuma has a reel size to meet all your needs. Also Penn has some really nice spinning reels too. I have a Penn 6000 spinning reel on a 9' Penn rod and recently landed a 67.2 lb Flathead with no problems at all. Very good drag systems on both brands!:wink:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    well John pretty much summed that question up if your looking for large dependable spinners

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If your on a budget. I would look at Shakeshere. I think it's called a Tidewater. Nice open face for the money. I have one and it has brought in alot of big cats. I have it on a 8' Powerrod.

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really am on a budget but at the same time i usaully just wait till i have plenty of money and get what i need, with a bigger price tag. I looked on basspro and cabelas and saw that they had two cheaper reels the catmaxx from basspro and the king kat from cabelas and both are better than what i have. At the same time i think i will wait and spent the money on an abu, okuma, or penn. I know that the abu baitcasters are great reels i have 6 of them. I have three abu spinning reels one ultra light and two bass reels i think they are 304s, but have never used one of there big spinning reels. Has anybody used one of them and what do you think of it. form what ive read on here okuma and penn spinners are great but want to stay with my favorite if it has good reviews. Thanks guys

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Im not sure but I don't think Abu makes a "large" spinning reel

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They list a few that hold 25lb mono on bass pro and cabelas, thats not real big but its plenty big for the normal water i fish plus i could put 65 lb braid on it and get by

8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I asked adout the abu cardinal 357 and did not get a reply it is a good size reel. It holds 200' of 20#line so is it a good reel or not? It would hold 300' of 30# braid easley with a good drag too.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look at the Okuma Avenger series and spool with a braid of your choice. You can get by with a smaller,lighter and less expensive reel if you use braid because the line diameter is so small. I would also check out Cabelas King Kat and Bass Pro's Catmax spinning reels. Good luck.