Looking for a john boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by liveforcattin08, Mar 29, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    does anyone have any suggeations where to find a john boat just plain for a cheap price. i know alot of farm ponds have sittin around them but i dont how i would ask if theyd sell it. basically just lookin for a good price and dont know where to start looking

2. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc

3. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the help but im 16 and got a crappy job so im gonna have to get somethin used

4. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
  5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    cont know wher in ohio, but here are a few.
    http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/6/77334926.htm
    1986 SMOKER CRAFT 14', 13'9" BOAT, 35HP EVENRUDE, LITTLE DUDE TRAILER, CLEAN, EXTRAS, READY FOR PERCH FISHING, $1,500 OBO 419-531-1235, TOLEDO[​IMG]More Details \& Photos (419) 531-1235
    CRESTLINER 15', 50HP EVINRUDE, W/TRAILER, $950, (937)236-9873 DAYTON(937) 236-9873
    14', ALUMINUM CRESTLINER V-BOTTOM BOAT, TEENEE TRAILER, 6HP JOHNSON, GAS TANK, BATTERY, GAMEFISHER TROLLING MOTOR, SWIVEL BASS SEATS, NAVIGATION LIGHTS, 3 LIFEJACKETS, HUMMIN BIRD FISHFINDER, $1,450, CANTON 330-455-0718 OR 330-844-1919(330) 455-0718
    and that was just the start good luck

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just look around & beat the bushes. Don't be afraid to stop and ask if you see a boat that looks like it's been sitting in the same spot for a year or two. For a really cheap price, expect to do a little work on the boat. I found one for $100 that only needed the transom wood replaced. I was able to do that with some scrap oak I had laying around, and only had to buy new nuts & bolts to attach it. Right now, I've got another 14' jonboat that I'm going to sell for $100. The transom seems nice and solid, but it's seen a lot of hard use, and needs several rivits replaced that hold the seats in place. That's easily and cheaply done with a poprivit tool. After putting in the poprivit, hold a sledgehammer against the flat side while tapping the "popped" side with a small hammer till it flattens out. That not only gets rid of the sharp edges, but makes the rivit hold better. Unless you someday get in the nice position that you don't have to worry about the cost of things, jonboats are one of the things you can pretty well count on getting what you see. After all, how hard is it to spot missing rivits, or notice rotted transom wood? It's not like it's covered by fiberglass.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    ebay is a good place too sometimes. Get ya a tube boat or belly boat as some call'em. Great fun to have your legs get rubbed by something while sitting in the water with a pole in your hand.:confused:
    Really fun when a big one hits, might even tot ya around a bit before ya get'em in. And they are cheap also or as much money as ya can afford.

8. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the help ill be lookin for one

9. jeffrobodeen

jeffrobodeen New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nothin beats an old battered jon boat!!!

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Start with Ebay, Call you local Dept of Wildlife, they may have a impound sale coming up or sell of their older equiptment. Knock on the door of some farms. They may want to sell them. We all have junk lying around and if someone has cash most of us will gladly trade it.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Got my little ten footer from a buddy that was a little slow paying back a loan... $20.. Several rivets had pulled through the bottom and been badly repaired, tar and bondo. After I got that off the repairs were pretty simple. I have more $$ in the oars locks and receivers than the boat..

If you are looking for real cheap and don't mind repairs... You might keep an eye on your local metal recycler. I have seen jon boats there from time to time.

If you knock on a door to ask about a boat make sure you have the cash in your pocket. Much easier to make a deal once they see the green! Carry it in 20s, it makes the wad look bigger.
    You may also want to time your visit to coincide with the arrival of the monthly bills, Christmas, or any time of the year when folks need to spend money.

The real trick is to have patience (deals are out there) and be ready with the cash when you find one.
    Good luck!

12. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    dont be affraid to ask, thats how i got my alumacraft, knocked on the door the guy let me have it and the trailer for 200, been the best boat i have ever owned so far

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't be afraid to ask anyone, anywhere about a boat that might possibly be for sale, but IMO, an even better bet than a boat sitting on a farm pond would be a boat sitting in a field or even a side yard with the grass all grown up around it, and no pond around.

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Jerry is right about out in the field. Has worked for me before.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    how big of a jon are you looking for. a brand new 1236 is not that expensive. of course its not that safe either. watch pawn shops. watch newspappers and buy all meaans stop and ask if you see one you like.the worst that could happen is you get bit by the farm dog.

16. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Here in MO every year, usually in July, our conservation department has an auction of surplus items. Things they are updating or need repair. They usually have several john boats, motors, gas tanks, oars, etc. My buddy bought a dodge 4x4 from one of these auctions for $300. All it needed was a fuel pump. Check with your dept and see if they have one of these sales. Another good place is to watch farm auctions, have seen some pretty good deals at these. One last summer sold a 16' lund with a 70 horse merc trolling motor, batteries, depth finders, trailer, cover and full of rods and reels and tackle. The whole shebang brought 1800.00. If I hadn't just bought my boat I would have been all over that deal. The deals are out there, just be patient. Also, look a used rig over closely and test drive if possible. I looked at one last spring before I had my boat $$'s put together, passed on the deal and a buddy wound up buying it, he ran it one time and the gears went out of the lower unit, cost him about 600 bucks to fix it. I was glad I missed that one! Boog

17. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i've got a 16ft i'll take $250 for its a little rough but still a good boat.

18. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll echo what everyone else said ... just keep your eyes open and ask if you see one you want.
    Lots of folks got boats they don't used.

I bought an 8 (or9) foot Arkansas Traveler off a guy for $15.00 one time when I was a kid.
    Fit perfect in the bed of my P/U

19. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    you know, I got mine off ebay really cheap. Some of the best deals are during the winter, and early spring. Hard to get a good deal during the summer.

20. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    There's a town by Quincy called Meyer and there are people there that selll all the time. I'll get back with ya about boats, i'll be over there somethime this week and check for ya.