Looking for a handgun for protection.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Hopper, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    I am looking for a good reliable handgun to keep in the truck for protection from the growing number of weirdos that my wife could use also. A shotgun is just to hard to manuver in the cab. What would you suggest?

Thanks

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    A snub nose 38 or 357 mag would work.

3. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    "a good reliable handgun...that my wife could use also"

Glock 19 (9MM) loaded with good quality personal protection ammo.
    Very reliable. My wife shoots mine well.

http://www.glock.com/

Jimmy

4. Truly a Glock you cannot go wrong with. I personally have an XD-40 and its a down right hand cannon and may be tough to control for some people. Either Springfield Armory or Glock handguns are the way to go if you want a gun that can hold up under extreme situaitons.

5. hoggmaster

hoggmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a kimber 9MM and i love it...but you will pay a pretty penny for one though

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i personally would go wiht the SMITH&WESSON MODEL 500 MAGNUM!

WHAT A BEAST

that would stop ANYONE IN THEIR TRACKS INSTANTLY LMAO

but seriously i would proally go with maybe a 45acp or a 44 mag

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brother, Before I got my wife a handgun I let her shoot several different ones. We found out that she could tolerate very little recoil which posed quite a problem. I thought for sure a .38 would work but she didn't even like that. What I finally found was a Taurus 941 in 22 mag. It is an 8 shot double/single action revolver and she can shot it comfortably and accurately. It is a good little pistol and I like it to boot. Here is a link for it.

ST

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=370&category=Revolver

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is my Glock 26, 9MM. I chose Glock for reliability and the 26 is small, specially made for concealed carry. I've added a Laser sight to mine. My wife shoots it but she likes her S&W hammerless lightweight 38 SPL.
    You can see hers on my web site.

9. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    GLOCK all the way. One external safety, two internal. Model 23 .40 cal. Small enough to conceal, big enough to put em down. Forget about the Trijicon sites for your purpose. You can pick them up for around $250 - $300.

MAJ D

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i think your goin the wrong way al together on this , its not a good idea to get her a handgun at all if she needs protection get her a tazer it will hurt like the dickens and she wont have a death on her memory trust me on this . a tazer will stop an attacker without killin it. mace or pepper gas ,or even self defence classes any thing is better than taking anothers life and having a guilty thought later

11. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One thing that is VERY important. She and you as well must have training and not just how to shoot the gun. In many cases the handguns are taken from the victim and used against them. You also have to have the correct mentality. The old, "I just wanted to stop him/her and not kill them is the kiss of death to the shooters future. If the situation arises you must shoot to kill not injure or maim. Read the book " In the Gravest Extreme." But thats only a start to the training.

Get in touch with a good lawyer and find out about your states laws.

12. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    let me throw my 2 cents worth in here. I am not going to say what to get that is a matter of personal preferance. I would get smoething that you both like and don't mind shooting. Above all else stay safe and practice every chance you get. Also it may not be a bad idea to take a training class. you may also want tosee if your local p.d. or s.o. has a certified armorer that way you can make sure that whatever you get is within specs. and won't blow up on ya the first time you try to shoot it.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Taurus makes several good guns. I carry a 24/7 Pro .40S&W with me and I may get a 4410 Tracker SS sometimes next year. The 4410 shoots a 2 1/2in .410 or .45LC plus its a 6 shot revolver.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with okee cop one hundard percent:big_smile:

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've thought that 4410 would be a dandy for a woman if it didn't kick much. How is the recoil?

ST

16. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    In a very general way women don't do well with semi autos with out a lot of traing. If you are talking inside your truck or at your truck a snup nose will doe the trick and believe me when you are at the point that you are shooting at someone to protect your life recoil is not realy a factor, It is a factor at the range because you have time to think about it.

17. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    Rule #1: Never bring a Tazer to a gun fight.

Rule#2: Women will usually fair better with a revolver. Its the simplicity. No misfires, no jams, no loading magazines. Im a big Glock fan, but a revolver would suit a woman better. Just make sure she knows when to use it and when not to.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is one of my wifes Lady Smith. Some times she carries it in her purse or pocket.. no hammer to hang. Loaded with +p+ it packs a punch. She likes it much better than my Glock for she has some trouble with having enough strength to work the Glock slide. The little Smith makes an ideal gun for a woman.

Attached Files:

19. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Id Go With A 38

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Some really good acvice here but Charles has a point. Get training for the women. Not you teaching them, they need to learn about taking a life from someone they consider a professional in personal protection and these courses develop the shooter for the mentel part.