Looking for a Good Campground

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DWB, Feb 24, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey all you long time local-yokels I have got a question for you.

We are in the early planning stages of a multi-family (3) camping trip this summer. I thought I would solicit the opinions of the good folks at BOC as to what might be a good choice and why.

A few of the criteria we are looking for

-Water (ideally the campground would be on the water)

-Boat launch (the water would be navigable and a improved launch would be near-by)

-Running water/toilets

-Within a couple hours (or preferably less) of St. Charles

Last but not least GOOD CATFISHING

2. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never been there but you might look at Timberlake Marina near Elsberry MO.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard a lot of good things about Coopers Landing at Easley(just outside Columbia) might be at your max of 2 hours, but they are right on the Katy trail, have there own boat dock, fuel, restraunt, live music.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Try Truman State Park on Truman Reservoir. It's a nice place.

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark Twain lake has several campgrounds that meet your requirements

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If you are wanting to river fish I would go with the TimberLake suggestion off highway P at Elsberry Mo. Take P go 6 miles go accross levy frist County road to your right go short distance and your there.They have a fuel fill up for boat and all and right on back water of Mississippi.Can see main river from there. Good Fishing in that area.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You ought to check out Mark Twain around Memorial day weekend. It shouldn't be much farther, if right at 2 hours. Not alot of people around usually, but there is alot of places to stay. I have a camper at Elk Fork Campground, the people are nice, and it is cheap to stay there. They have bait, beer, fuel, ect. on premises with a fish cleaning station. There is a stocked kids fishing pond also. The boat ramp is right across the road. I am posting some pics of some flatheads we caught on goldfish during pre spawn, is why I say aroung memorial day weekend. Otherwise you can catch alot of blues during the summer.

Attached Files:

8. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan, I would have to agree that Mark Twain would be a great place for only a two hour drive from St. Charles. And Hwy 61 will take you no time to get there. Indian Creek also has a nice camp ground.
    Denny

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Indian Creek also has a ramp reserved for the campers. Nice playgrounds, etc. Good fishing.