Looking for a cheap simple depthfinder

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, I just picked up a 14 'jon boat with a 35 hp johnson on it and pretty much had to sell my soul to the devil ( wife) so now I got a boat and no depthfinder... yup, thats a real problem....so Im looking ofor a inexpensive one that has depth and water temp, after that I dont care.. any ideas?
    Ill certainly trade something for one if anyone has an older one they are willing to part with.

Any and all input appreciated!
    Salmonid

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Eagle Cuda 242 is about $75

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Tape maeasure with a thermometor glued to it. lmao.
    Last year i bought a humming bird pirrana epth finder or about $75 at dicks sporting goods. And a remote temp sensor for $7 at wally world . look in the auto dept., they were cheapr than in sporting goods. Mine has 20 ft, cord. the built in unit on my boat only reads surface temp. I like to be able to read deeper temps. You might try housewares for a inside/outside thermomitor.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, Im looking att those now but trying to locate one much cheaper then that if possible. Used perhaps and Fee Bay are where Im looking now.
    Thanks for the info though!
    Salmonid

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeepers I spent two days trying to give away a Lowrance X-85 which was a 500$ top of the line model.All it needed was a transducer and power cable which can be had for 79$ from LEI.Some one finally asked for it yesterday.::eek:oooh:

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah I saw that but saw others finally were interested in it before I could jump on it, I was thinking about it since 79 bucks and was still way more then I really wanted to pay. But I fully appreciate the followup:big_smile:
    Salmonid

7. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
  8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I just bought a Eagle Cuda 168 at Bass pro for 48.00 That was the internet price, so thats what they sold it to me for..

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I got the old cuda 128 portable for my john and probably my trihull now too and that works well enough... I don't need to nessessarily see fish, i fish for the structure...

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I just bought a lowrance x107c. My eagle 480 works good, but I wanted something with more power, hopefully will help identify fish in structure a little better, and the color screen is nice, too. I don't have it installed yet, but hopefully will get to test it later this week.

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You can't go wrong with the Cuda by Eagle. I have the 168 and I love it. Great features for a cheap unit. It has temp, zoom, alarms, bottom lock, back lighting, manual or auto, sensitivity control, and Grey line feature. I love mine.

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    mark im in the same boat as you im currently looking to get one myself

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Arkie, thats the one Im looking at( Eagle Cuda 168) , Bass Pro has on sale now for 49 bucks.

Catcatchingfool, check it out....

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!
    Salmonid

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

I have a friend that has fished for several decades and he uses the Cuda 168 on some of his watercraft... it's good for water depth and some structure according to him....in the end you get what you pay for.

good luck
    rc

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Cuda 168 gets my vote too, just turn of the damn fish symbols, don't work anyhow. Garmin makes a nice inexpensive finder also.

16. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark (and Jason)- I recently got a Eagle Fishmark 480 ($199), but haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I can't say much about it.

Reason for my post is, if you go to www.eaglesonar.com you can compare the Eagle brands (side by side), including the Cuda's. Might help you in your decision(s).

Good Luck!
    Smitty

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I got a really cheap one. It's good from 0 to 100 feet and very accurate. Ten ounces of lead, a string with a knot ever foot and is always correct. ROFLOL.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had one of those, but after that string got tangled around the wife's ankles a couple of times, she went out and bought me one with the lights and whistles, and everything, and all....:big_smile: It works ok, long as the battery is hooked up to it. It took a while to learn how to use it, sure am glad it's waterproof.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    String thing won't work because the man said he wanted temp also.Back before electronics got so cheap and affordable I just used what I had, KIDS.Tie a marked line around their ankle and have them dive over and swim down to the bottom.Mark the line in 1 ft segments.Mine were always dropping something overboard and having to dive down to get it so I thought I 'll just make use of the situation.Water Temp ?No sweat if the come back up screaming and shivering the water is below 80 degreees.If they say "Geeez" that felt good its over 80.No problem!!!!!!:cool2: :tounge_out: :wink: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :big_smile: