Looking for a cheap reel, don't mind what type...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I know how to use spinning, baitcasting, and push-button, so the type doesn't matter. I'm in search of a reel that costs under $100 that can handle anything from eating-size channels to big flats, if there is such a reel for that cheap.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Yes there are many that will fit that bill. I have a couple I will be happy to give you one but these need some peraire done to them you pay to get one fixed and I will send it to you.

3. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Check out the Okuma reels---They will, get-r-done!

4. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldnt use anyting besides a abu garcia 6500 c3 its around 80.00 but it will last a lifetime and you will be satisfied with its performance

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If you fish a lot then You'll want to save your money and buy a quality reel. reels are something that you get what you pay for, a Cheap reel is exactly that a cheap reel, and wont hold up to the abuse big catfish can dole out over time it will just break.

on the other hand if you only fish once in a while you can get by with an el Cheapo reel. I don't use them myself but the shakespeare Tidewater is well spoken of here and is affordable. Myself I only use Abu Garcia reels.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Under $100.00 lets see. The Penn 310gti, ABU 6000, 6500 and some of the 7000 are all very good reels for under $100.00

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I agree you can get the Penn 310's,320's, ambassadeur 6500's,6000's and other great reels to do the trick. Also Penn has some great spinning reels well under 100.00 that would work great, if you visit Bass Pro or Cabelas site you should be able to find them. Also check out EBAY, you can get some great deals for little the price you'd pay for a brand new reel, wish you the best---the way I understand it is that the baitcasters are a little better in horsing in the brutes, but if I'm not mistaken the last 2 world record blues were both caught using a spinning reel.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Check ebay out. I've picked up several ambassadeurs by abu garcia for really cheap by shopping and being patient. I've got 6000s for as little as 20.00, 6500s for as little as 26.00, and one of the 7000s I got was just 24.00! It was dirty as hell, but after a good cleaning, found it had hardly been used, just storage dirt.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Abu Garcia 6500 or 7000.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some of us don't think $100 is cheap for a reel. Lots of good ones out there for that price and less.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thats only your opinion... you can trash Shakespeare and anyone else all you want to but some of us dont want to spend a arm and a leg for reel quality that you can find for 20-50 dollars. 98% of people that use shakespeare for light or monster fishing have no problem

i have shakspeare reels from 1960 that i use today :0a37:

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you want a strong reel cheap look at a Penn 209 new or used.They have been made for years and a lot of us use ones that are 30 or more years old.They don't cast as good as the Abu's or newer model Penn's but you couldn't have a stronger reel for bringing in a big one.
    Jake

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with the rest, Abu 6000, 6500, or 7000.

14. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have only recently switched over to all Abu reels but when I started I landed numerous fish, several over 30lbs, in heavy current on Shakespeare Tidewater reels, TL 15's to be exact. Buy a one of whatever catches your eye - see how it works out for you - then when you decide to go "whole hog" and equip yourself, you'll know what you want.

15. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest going to you local tackle shop and do some hands on feel of the different reels. See what they suggest for your area and get some prices. Then check out the WWW and see how much you can save on the reel you choose, just don't forget about the shipping cost. You can get some great deals off the net from places like Ebay and Catfish Connection. Look at some of their discontinued models too, might save you a liitle there too. Myself I like the ABU reels and I have 6000,6500 and for big fish I have I have 7000 and 9000. Depends on where I am fishing what I use.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    One word...SHIMANO.:lol:

17. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I got a penn 209 off ebay for 23 dollars shipped, just look around, youll find what your lookin for

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think b@sspro has a 15 dollar rebate on all c3 and c4 ambassadeurs 74.99 and up.

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to agree with Leroy on this one.:cool2:

20. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I totally agree, almost all my reels and all my rods are under 100.00, the only reels I've had to pay over 100.00 was a couple of 7000c3's. As you said you can get almost any Ugly Stick and awesome PENN and Abu'S for well under 100.00.