Looking for a boat

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cudadustin, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Hey guys. As I look through the threads I see that the fishing is heating up again! That gets my blood flowing. I'm ready to get out there and tear it up! All year my fishing buddy and I have been casting from the bank and I'm just growing a little tired of it. Don't get me wrong, you can still hook fish but as we all know it can be very limiting.

To get to the meat and potatoes of this thread; I am announcing my entrance into the boat buying market. What I'm looking for from my cat brothers is advice, suggestions, tips, etc...Any little tid bit you would care to share. No suggestion will go overlooked. Any morsel of wisdom big or small will be greatly appreciated. So here's the skinny. My first priority is fishing the big Ohio river right here in Cincinnati and the surrounding area. My main target will be big cats. I would also like it to be versatile enough to take out on small to medium size lakes. That's the fishing requirements as for monetary I am open. I definitely want a nice boat but it doesn't have to be new. This should be enough info to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for all the great tips I know I'll get.

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Having been through purchasing a boat this year here are a few things i can advise with my limited knowledge...much of it is common sense and I am sure you already know.

First off, if buying used, have a motor checked out by either a buddy who knows what he is doing or some other mechanically knowledgeable person. Muffs usually are not the best way to test a motor, if possible take it out on a lake or river and run it. Do a compression test if ya can, and make sure it is overall mechanically sound. Check out the Transom on the Boat you are buying, see if it has any signs of stress/ rot etc, or if there have been previous repairs made. These two things are big money areas, and may make a boat undesirable.

Second, unless you buy a new Sea Ark Pro Cat or the New Express boat John Jamison Edition then you will likely be modifying the boat to fit your catfishing needs and style. Try and plan to budget quiet a bit of money and time for this. I bought my boat in Early May and still am working on it, and its dang near august. Depending on if the boat you buy has a good GPS/Sonar system, you are looking at another investment there. Rod Holders/racks etc....baitwells, tanks, or livewells that must be added and the filtration that goes along with it. Seats/ Re-configuring boats for more suitable fishing....list goes on and on. So just try and keep that in mind so you don't get as frustrated as I have.

Last, IMO, if you are buying a boat and primarily using it on the Ohio River I like Alumnium Deep V boats. They take wake better and chop, and are usually more stable. I have a 17.5 footer, I would really like a bigger boat. I like my buddy's 19 Footer, if you can afford it and can find one get one around 18-19 foot or bigger. Our boats have rivets....I would rather have an all-weld boat....but it depends on price and what you can find. I wish ya the best of luck man and hope you find/make your perfect rig. :big_smile:

3. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Thanks Curtis. Those are some great tips. I know I will have some time and dough invested in "rigging" the boat the way I like it but I'm just not sure how much. I see you have your hands full with yours. I hope I can stay as patient as you have man. Between work, school, and fishing I would have to make time. I'm not sure when I will pull the trigger but I was thinking later in the year when things slow down.

Thanks again buddy. I hope all the tips are as good as yours.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Curtis had some good advice, and to follow that up I cannot stress how important it is to have whatever boat you find looked over by a knowledgable person, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the motor. Wanting to fish the big river, makes it even more important that she runs good and starts up easily when, and I say when because it's gonna happen, that you have to pull anchor and get out of dodge quicky.

If it is a used boat, make sure you check the floor as well especially if it is a wood floor, check for and signs of weakness or softness. When I bought mine, it was sitting outside in the winter time and the floor was frozen, after she thawed out some everything had to be replaced. Floor and all, including going through 3 different motors.

Try and visualize any boat you look at set up to your liking, is it easy to add rod holders, tanks, and livewells like Curtis mentioned? Something with some descent fuel capacity is a plus to, and roaming the river can really use up some fuel.

Good luck man, feel free to ask me any questions if you need any help..

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Forgot to add the floor in there. If you do rip up the floor it makes it easier to run wiring and plumbing....but its a pain and more time/money redoing a floor and carpet as well. As for a Gas tank, if you get an above deck the biggest ones I have seen are from Moeller Marine....and so far mine has been a piece of junk. We will see if it is the culprit of my motor problems, may not be venting properly, but one thing is for sure....i have owned it 2-3 months and the fuel gauge float has stopped working properly already. As trav said if ya need anything PM me, I know most of my stuff from bugging him with thirty thousand questions, and definately am not the guy to go to about motors, but I may be able to help with deck, carpeting, and baitwell/livewell construction.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your best bet is to find a buddy that has a boat, those things are damn expensive. I'm kidding really but they are expensive. Make sure you are going to take it out enough to be worth what you are going to put in to it. When they are working they are about the best thing a man can ask for though. :roll_eyes: I would think it would only take about 100 times a year to be worthwhile :confused2:

There will ALWAYS be things you didn't think of before hand. Like my boat came with a 27 gallon livewell which I actually thought was pretty big. Well if you plan to do catfish tournaments that is actually quite small. Also think about where you would put your pole holders.

7. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a sweet sea ark for sale right here on this site in the for sale section. You buy that and I am sure you will be set. You get an awesome boat and help a fellow member out!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115607

8. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Thanks Chris! That is one Helluva boat. I will definetely consider it. It may be a bit more boat then what I am looking for right now. It is definitely geared right for catfishing though. I plan on speaking with the gentleman about it. We'll see what happens.

9. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    If your looking for a new boat the Tracker pro v17 is a good all around boat for the rivers and lakes. Iwould get it with the 90hp. You will still need to set it up for the cats.

10. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Dustin, check your PM box. Probally give you a good deal on my boat. Just had surgery, and have several more to go through. My fishing and boating is pretty much done for the year...

11. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Thanks again everybody for taking the time to give me some well thought out advice. I'm still in the "deciding" process, but I will remember all the great suggestions.