Looking for a boat, need input please!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by theaudiowiz, Oct 23, 2006.

1. theaudiowiz

theaudiowiz New Member

State:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Im shopping for a boat, dont got much cash but have a few options. What I want to do is mostly catfish, with possibly some trolling for trout in the right season. I also would like to have something to take the family of four, two kids with the wife and me out to the lake to swim and hang out on occasion if possible. I fish only lakes, like hensley, millerton, san louis, eastman and such for those familiar with the area. These are man made reserviors mostly, nothing huge and would have some ski boat action at times.

Now, I looked at modified v jon boats, which are about 5k new with motor and decided its above my budget new but may consider a used one. Currently IVe found two bass boats, a bass tracker with a 50 horse merc mid 80's and a bayliner trophy fish with a 75 horse force motor mid 80s also. BOth are from reputable sellers in the area for around the 2k price. It seems to be a crapshoot as I cant tell for sure how much use and or abuse any of these have seen as they are used. I guess thats just how it is. Ive owned a boat once which was more fixing than boating and really regretted my decision. Any input on the type of boat as I assume many guys in the BOC are looking for about what I am? What type is suggested, I usually fish with me and my son or maybe a buddy, possibly two. I dont know if a alum v boat like 14 or 16 foot used with a little tiller steer would be simpler and a good trade off as to maintanence to a bigger bass type boat with all the live well, more power, steering etc. Input is appreciated!!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www.craigslist.com check in your area by state and city. I have evn seen a couple on ebay that were worth a look. If your state has a surplus check that out also. Good luck. One more place now that the season, for most, is over woould be boat dealers that take trade in's, they might be more willing to deal with no money coming in.

3. theaudiowiz

theaudiowiz New Member

State:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Thanks, Ive been trying to keep up with the paper ebay and craigslist, but my main thing after looking for a while is what do i really want? Last boat was an OLD fiber v retired ski boat I put a little 20 horse on. Piece of junk lots of headache. There are lots of choices here in central california, just not sure which way to chase if you know what i mean....

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

with four people I would say 18 foot aluminium are better. The wider the better. Are a pontoon boat. Just my opinion though.

5. theaudiowiz

theaudiowiz New Member

State:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    what do you think of those fiber bass boats, should i just stick with alum or what? I agree with the pontoon boat, a few cold ones , little bbq etc sounds good, but so far out of my price, cant find many used at all.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have had one bass boat in my life and it wasn't for me. I like to have the room for other stuff besides a casting deck. IMO the aluminum boats are better suited for my needs open floor plan and easy to maintain.

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I'm havin this problm too buddy. I want a little R'nR room (maybe a cabin) but then I feel like I don't have any fishing space. And I want a decently* smooth ride, but Ive heard even mod-v's can't go anywhere near shallow. And I'd like to be able to bass fish, troll for striper, and catfish out of one rig... and I think that impossible :crazy:
    So far all I found that was even close was the SeaArk Big Easy( havent even seen the price on it yet). I know I want aluminum cause I river fish... thats all I know :tounge_out:

-Chris

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    when you go to ebay, type in starcraft and check them all out ive had 2 of em and thy are definatly quality boats, alot of differant sizes and models to choose from too and the prices seem to be in the more reasonable area:big_smile: :cool2: