Looking For A Bigger Bait!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gabowman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    First off, the lake I fish is loaded with shad and herrin and bream. Problem is the shad is only about finger length (at best,which are thin) and the herrin is about 4" long (also thin). The gills you can easily catch are only about as long as your index finger too. I am wanting something that is a "thicker" bait to use for cutbait. I have read that carp make good bait? I'm targeting 5-8+ lb. channels and blues. Since shad, herrin, and bream are abundant in my lake would you just double the amount of cut bait on the hook or look for another bait to use. I'm trying to get a large enough bait so the 1-2 lbs. stay away. Your thoughts?!?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Carp do make good bait. I fillet them and cut strips of the meat aprox. 1 or 2 in. wide by 6 inches long.

3. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey spoonfish....PM sent your way brother!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Got it Butch.
    Good luck out there bro.

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Butch, You can always double up on your bait. It sounds like the lake is over populated. The only problem with going to a bigger bait is. In order to keep the 1&2 lbs away you will have to go with a bait so big the 5&8 lbs can't swallow it. I have caught 1 lb. cats on a bait big as your hand so I really don't think there is much of a solution to your problem. Shad and Herring are the 2 best baits you can use.Hope this helps...

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I would catch some bluegill in a pond then or try the lake you fish and use them.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Can always try goldfish, although sometimes they can be expensive.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    [QUOTE=Gabowman. I am wanting something that is a "thicker" bait to use for cutbait.
    White Perch, Clark Hill is full of em and Hartwell is startin to get a good population so Lake Russell should have em too.Fish red worms up on humps and flats and also jigg 1/4 ounce spoons just make sure you keep the bait close to the bottom.Once you get on a school it want take long to get enough to fish with.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It`s hard to beat whats native if fishing with cut bait just add more bait on your hook Ever thought about useing tne shad and herring live

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    It's extremely hard to keep any bait, no matter the size, away from small channels. We catch more 1 and 2lb channels on whole herring than we do on smaller pieces of cut bait. We also get a lot of channels in the boat with live bream as well. Last year my friend caught an 8lb channel off of an 8 inch bluegill.