Looking for 2 piece rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Friendlyfarmer, May 31, 2020.

1. Friendlyfarmer

Friendlyfarmer Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    David Smith
    Thanks to a couple of deer my fishing truck is no longer. For now I'm sharing the wife's Rav4. I have 7' 3" to get a rod in. The first that I've found are the 8 ft B&M, a couple of the mediums and a magnum should work until a new fishing truck can be procured. Any other suggestions that I should look at?

ramon06 and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    The BnM's are nice rods. They might be one of the better and more affordable options.

TWC offers 2-piece rods in their Extender series and Whisker Whip XL series. Both are 10ft which may not be what you are looking for.

Whisker Seeker offers 2-piece versions of their 7ft6in MH rods and their 9ft6in H rods.

SteveMcK and ramon06 like this.

3. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
    I have some whisker seeker FMJ 9.5 2 piece biggest fish so far 25 pound blue no problem they will handle much more

4. JByrd

JByrd Well-Known Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    Cabela's had the Bass Pro Shops Whuppin' Stick MH Spinning Rod on sale for $10. I put a good Penn Fierce Live Liner 6000 reel on it, 30 lb line and it does just fine. I figured if it breaks I won't lose much, but it does what the rest does. Has pretty good rings.

5. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    I just bought a Berkeley big game 8'. It doesn't fit in the bed of my truck but that that is why I buy 2 piece rods. It should get here Wednesday Im hoping it will be a good channel cat rod I don't see why not

ramon06 likes this.
  6. chillydigits

chillydigits Well-Known Member

State:
    Mt.Liberty Ohio
    Name:
    Fred
    Okuma battle cat.... the rod is one piece and it slip fits into the handle.

Flathead Tyrant, ramon06 and SteveMcK like this.
  7. Bank buster

Bank buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Michael Powell
    Two piece whisker seekers are perfect for your needs.

ramon06 likes this.
  8. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I can carry any two piece rod that is up to 8" broken down in my 6' 8" pickup bed...corner to corner. I really dont like two piece rods, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. With 7" 3" of available space in your wifes car, a 7' one piece rod would do the trick, and I can really not tell much difference in casting a 7' or 8' rod.....if you need longer the space you have to work with should easily allow a two piece rod up to 14' in length.......or, there are methods that can be used to carry a long rod outside a vehicle.....When I used to live in Florida many years ago I would tie my long rods to the rear view mirror and door handles on the car! I DO NOT suggest doing that and would not do it again, but at the time it was all I could do with what I had to work with. I had also tied fishing rods to my old Harley's, and put fish in the saddle bags (on Ice) to get them home....another idea that worked, but is not suggested. Where there is will there is a way, and you will come up with a good idea......"if" you want to go fishin'.

Herbhome and ramon06 like this.
  9. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    FireStik rods are 2 piece and only $30. I have been extremely happy with mine. They are almost exactly like a Med Rippin Lips. They handle 5oz and bait well. Since they are cheap they may be a good short term option.

ramon06 likes this.
  10. bigdog21

bigdog21 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Rick
    TWC extender here are two 10ft 2 pcs they are rated heavy

Attached Files:

ramon06 likes this.
  11. BCT

BCT Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    The other day I was driving and saw this old Buick with 4 rods sticking up from the rear passenger side window. It must be 7 or 8 ft rod, so yeah where there is a will there is a way haha... I would not recommend this though.

Back to topic at hand, I have some Amazon gift card, and just ordered 9 ft Medium Ugly Stick GX2. Probably not something that you looking for but thought I just throw it out there. imo 7 year warranty is hard to beat, and for $40 I would not mind letting my kid handle it. We have two GX2 6ft Medium that he been using, and they are pretty nice for the price.

Flat Top likes this.
  12. Friendlyfarmer

Friendlyfarmer Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    David Smith
    Being on somewhat of a budget untill we get moved, I picked up 2 Diawa Wilderness trolling rods from the local Southerlands for less than $10 each. They had a 8' MH 2 piece and a 8'6" MH. Butt end seemed a little short so I cut the foam off and the rubber doohickey, made 7" extensions for the butt and added chord wrap. Sunday at the lake the test came with a 28 1/2# drum on 20# line. The 8' handled the fish with no problem even with the rod
    bent 90 degrees. For a cheap rod to use until things change, have to admit I may not replace them immediately.

13. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like it did fine. The most important thing to be careful of is not to high-stick the rod. Be careful not to go past 90 degrees bend in it. Keep the rod angle down just a little and let the drag do the give and take for you.

I have used medium power rods on big fish before and they flex so easily it will be bent past that 90 degrees before you know it.

That drum was a pretty good test.

tight lines