Looking at Trucks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TA2D, Mar 16, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey guys, I am looking at a 2000 Dodge 1500 Sport Extended Cab, 91000mi , it has the 360, Leather, Bed Rails, Bed Liner, Heated Seats, CD, and some more extras that I can't think of right now. The dealer is telling me $8,900 after my trade in, which is a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, it has 122,000 mi, Leather, 318 V8, it is pretty much loaded. I am looking for a truck, but not too hard right now, just curious if this is a good deal or not or what I should counter offer with.

TA2D

Aaron

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to have a 98 Durango with the 5.9 litre 360 in it, it was a fine pulling motor but everything else caused me problems , Evaporator, Transmission, Overdrive Bearing and 3 sets of upper and lower ball joints and a wheel bearing right off the top of my head. But the motor was fine and if I could still afford the gas, Id still be driving it, it got about 11.8-13 MPG, all freeway would get me 14.5 so it really hurt in the wallet department.

Salmonid

3. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Always keep in mind a dealer is in business to make money. Any truck that is actually 7 years old with nearly 100,000 miles priced over $9,000.00 maybe on the high side. Depending on what your needs or desires are check into the Fords and Chevy trucks. If it were I, I would definately look for something a little more fuel friendly and lower on the miles. Just me though.

4. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    My Last Truck Was A 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4x4 With A 360. I Wish I Still Had It. Great Truck. Now I Have A 2003 With A Hemi. The Mileage Is Terrible In Town. My '01 Got Much Better Mileage. In The 3 Years I Had It, I Never Had To Do Anything Other Than Change The Oil And Put A Set Of Tires On It. The Truck You Are Looking At Sounds Like A Good Deal. Let Us Know If You Get It.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Only truck I ever owned was a Toyota. Check those out. Or the RAV4 by Toyota. If you don't have to have a truck, check on the Prius.

Second choice would be Chevy.

6. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    Here is what I have to offer and what I am living with now.
    I bought a 2000 dodge durango with the 360 fully loaded, very nice looking truck. It had 98,000 miles on it and we picked it up from a large dealer for $6500, that should provide you a good price comparison. Thats the good news. Here is the bad. I have put on 15,000 miles and have done a tune up and therostat, those should be expected. I have also had the trans rebuilt and now the engine has a weird knock, tick. The kicker is that it does not burn or leak any oil and runs perfect. I don't know what it is but hopefully will know a little more when I do an oil change this weekend.

As far as towing we have not had any problems. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and a 17 feet deep v boat and there are no problems with either of them. Hopefully this engine noise is nothing too major because I can't afford to get anther truck now.

Good luck with your purchase.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Good info guys, I need a full size with at least an extended cab for my family of four and car pooling to work, I love MOPAR, but I am in the market for a house and starting school this summer, I have the GI bill to help with school. I just want a truck that has enough ass behind it to pick up a load of lumber or sheetrock if I need it, but I don't want to give an arm and a leg for it. I really love my Grand Cherokee, but I can't haul a darn thing in it, and I really don't like to borrow my parents truck when I need to haul something. I am still undecided on the truck as of now, I just don't know if I should shoot the guy a low-ball offer and work from there or not?

TA2D

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Keep the Cherokee and buy a trailer, you know what you have there, buying a used vehicle lots of times gives you someone elses problems. Trailer will solve your hauling problem. You can usually get a decent 16' trailer for around 900.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    If you have to have a truck. Low ball the guy. It is a buyers market right now.
    If you dont get a trailer like lngbo said. the trailer would probably be better anyway.

10. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I agree on the buying a trailer;)

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I'll try to get you book values this afternoon.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The trailer is a good idea.

There is only one truck and that is a FORD all other are pick ups.

Danny

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Is it 2wd or 4wd? With Leather I will assume it is an SLT.
    Avg wholesale is 7950 2wd 9975 4wd
    525 525 sport and leather adds
    -1125 -1125 mileage deduct
    300 300 mechanical inspection and average repair cost 90 90 detail
    800 800 profit

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited assuming v8 4wd and in good shape

Average Wholesale 3325.00

Without ever seeing either vehicle as to condition, a fair deal on a conventional either cash or check from the bank (good credit deal)

2wd 8740.00
    trade 3000.00

Difference 5740.00 plus taxes

4wd 10765.00
    trade 3000.00

difference 7765.00 plus taxes

This is based out of the Ohio edition black book compiled of dealer auction purchases. Condition is everything, knowing that rarely will anything with 100k on it be considered clean money.
    I don't propse to know your particular market.
    But for an example I have a 99 chevy silverado ls 4x4 ext cab 3dr with 130k on it for 9995- 3000 trade would be 6995 difference.

It is possible that this deal may not be made. It is possible this dealer had this unit in stock for 60 days or greater and that when he bought it the book was higher. You have to use your head and your heart but those are the educated numbers.

Good luck in your search.

Shawn Dostie
    Carroll's Buckeye Motors
    www.coshoctoncars.com

14. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I got a 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2 v-8 4inch lift best truck i have ever owned

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I like to have 4wd and tow package when shopping around for trucks. Extended cabs are nice for long trips and a 8' bed is handy to have also.

16. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Just a bit about my truck. It's a 02' ford f150 lariat extended cab fx4 4wd. Bought it from a farmer for 9500. Everywhere i looked the price for a comparable truck was around 14k. I would agree with the others on the trailer, that will be my next purchase even though I do have a truck now. Trailers are so handy it's hard to put a value on them after you get one. Seems like i'm always borrowing one from my inlaws now. lol

Joe

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that I am gonna keep my Grand Cherokee and get the little things fixed and I think life will be good. AC and radio are all that need to be fixed, that is cheaper than a truck right now!

TA2D

Aaron

18. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that works great when I need to haul anything. I can fit more in there then i can my cargo van plus its more fun driving the durango then the cargo.

19. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would agree, buy a trailer. I bought a new 6' x 8' utility trailer about 4 years ago at Tractor Supply. I paid approximately $450.00. This was initialy because at the time I had a Jeep Wrangler and yet I needed to haul sheet rock etc for the house. I currently have sold my Jeep and own a 2004 Ford Escape V6 with towing package. This gives me the added interior room and the ability to tow home improvement loads as well. I would keep the Cherokee and buy a decent trailer. Keep in mind another nice feature with the SUV is securing your fishing tackle in side as opposed to the rear of a truck. Just a thought.

20. Kittykiller

Kittykiller New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like u need an old Chevy. I feel that the best fishin truck is the rusted out beater cuz it doesn't matter what u do to it:)