Looking at a new gun..maybe

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sorry if this si the wrong place..im looking into maaaybe getting a new gun at the beginning of the year...im not a great hunter and it would mostly be a toy/target/ home defense type purchase..

currently i am looking at several differant ar10's, a m4, or pretty much some sort of 223 that i can deck out and go shoot coons and maybe soem hogs with...semi auto is a must! i have a amrlin 22 mag bolt action and its alright but i want something more fun. i do not know muych about any of these guns and was wanting soem opinions and suggestions thanks guys

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    How about a Daisy red-Rider edition for x-mas....:wink::eek:oooh:

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Bushmaster, DPMS, and Rock River Arms.... Pick your poison and load up. You will not be disappointed in any model from these three companies. I've fired various models from each company, and while I'm too cheap (right now) to pony up for one, when I do, Rock River is going to get a LOT of my money.

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

dude no lie...my daisy pump is the most accurate gun ive ever owned...at least with me shooting it...stray cats and dogs tryin to eat my cat...im good on the run almost cant miss anyhting with in 50 yards on iron sights day or night..furthest i know for sure i hit stepped off at around 80 somethign steps..:smile2: no kills..that i know of but it is a sure fire attention getter :eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

no im not going to shoot dogs and cats with my new toy i want to get:roll_eyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

i was looking at soem bushmaster stuff and also armalite ...and ruger on the mini stuff..all online though..last gun i shot like this was a couple years ago ande it was a full auto m5 with interchangable "chambers" soorry not up on the lingo.. old boss had THOUSANDS of guns and lots of full autos..he syas he was all legal...i dunno how that works but the sheriffs dept came to him when they needed "firepower" to diffuse a situation:eek:oooh: i dont want anything(well i do) that fancy but something fun

6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Anyone can buy full-auto if they pass the background check. There's a $300 tax/permit/whatever you want to call it to own full-auto or destructive devices. I think you have to pay it per gun. I can't remember.

I like the design of the Ruger Mini's, but the AR's kill it in accuracy. The new heavier barrel that Ruger uses helps some, but the AR is still king when it comes to groups.

Of course, you can throw a Mini in the creek, let it sit there for 6 months, pull it out, and it'll fire. An AR probably wouldn't.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ill baby whatever i end up with im sure... im thinkin 308 will let me reach and touch a lot more than the 223 but ..again im a novice

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes anyone that can legaly own a semi can buy a full auto.A federal $300.00 tax stamp is all that is required but you must keep it locked up at all times when not using.There is also more regulations that should be read if anyone considers this.One is the police/goverment can come into your house and demand to see if it is locked up.
    As far as an AR goes I have a rock river and a stag arms.The rock is hard to beat but for the money a stag arms is a good option.My stag shoots slightly better groups as well.

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    That's what I'm saying. With so much area down there, you can go seriously LONG with your shooting. If you decide to deer hunt or other bigger stuff, you'll be good to go. .308's do much better at rock busting too, and if you can drill a song dog with your .308 at long range, then deer would be easy.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my dad hunts witha browning medallion 30.06 and he regualrly takes 350-400 yards shots..im not interested in something that far..but if i could....maybe that would change :wink:

11. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have a FFL with SOT stamp for my store, I personally own NFA items ( machine guns, Short Barrel Rifles, AOW, suppressors, ect.. ) I have owned full -autos for over 10 years and have never had the ATF to come to my house, about every 3-4 years the send me a list of guns to see if I still own or have transferred to someone else. It is $200.00 per tax stamp wich is needed for each NFA item you buy. Some states and city do not allow NFA items, the biggest problem I run into selling these at my store is that the CLEO ( chief law enforcement officer ) will not sign form 4's or form 1's, I mainly sell to law enforcement agencies. Back to to topic Rock River I think is the best deal going, for what you want .223 will work better I think and ammo is cheaper. Buy a black gun you will love it:smile2:

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ah hell ill get both! lmao

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

whats the effective range on a 223?

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Sorry I didn't know it changed , ten years ago it was 300.00 , I had a powder springs mac-10 .45.I just didn't like to log it in and out when I went shooting or to knob creek machine gun shoot in the spring.

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    500 meters ?

16. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Depends on what you're shooting at, and what bullets are loaded.

Paper: till you can't hit it anymore :smile2:

Varmints: till you can't it anymore :smile2:

Deer: I'd say 200 yards or less

Hogs and such: I don't think that I'd shoot more than 150 yards on a big pig, if that far. It's no fun chasing wouned, pissed off, armored animals, with big sharp tusks that will eat anything. :eek:oooh:

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

hhaahaa thats why i want semi auto..i want to make sure they are dead :crazy::smile2:

18. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC

The ATF is always changing every thing on us, Mac's are fun they are fast. 1 pull of the trigger and the mag is empty:big_smile:

19. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bushmaster does make a pretty good rifle. I think you would be pleased with an AR-15.

I've got a Ruger Mini 14, stainless Ranch Rifle. I've had it for nearly 15 years and it's never failed me. It's an accurate rifle, and the .223 has enough power to kill anything that I need to. The ONLY thing that I don't like about it is if you shoot more than 50 rounds repetitively, the barrel heats up and you won't have as tight of a group.

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

50 ROUNDS repeatedly i whouldnt need that tight of a group !! shrapnel or dirt oughta hit something :smile2: