Looking at a new boat

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Jan 12, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I was at the Texas fishing show yesterday and I saw an new aluminum boat called the War Eagle, it comes in 18, 20,and 23 foot. Now I've really been wanting a pontoon boat but now that I saw this aluminum boat with all this room in it, it may have changed my mind. The one I would like to have is the model 860 or 2072, both come with the Mercury 90 hp optimax.
    It's a flat bottom but supposed to be a very smooth ride and it won't rattle your teeth out of your head on choppy waters.
    The 860 doesn't have a live well but the 2072 has a 30in live well.
    Anyone else seen or have one of these boats ?
    This seems to be one solid boat.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quite a few guys have War eagles. Perhaps if you ask the Mods to change the title of your post some of them will see it and chime in...W

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Before you buy a smooth riding flat bottom boat in a chop.
    Test drive one in a chop.:big_smile:

A flat bottom is a flat bottom.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Most definetly Mark, I would always test drive something like that before making that final decision...:wink:
    Thanks

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I looked at some at a dealer I go to in Rockport, IN. Looked real pretty, out of my price range. Nice Looking Boats. The one I looked at had a 150 hp on it.

I have a Lowe Roughneck 1960 with a 90 hp Merc. The 90 does great on my 1960 but may not have enough gonads for a 2072 or bigger. You might want to think about a larger motor too.

:wink:Just my 2 cents.

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks but price maybe a major issue and I know a guy that has a 20 ft aluminum flat bottom and he has the 90hp and he loves it. I'm not trying to break any speed records, as long as it gets me across the lake will be fine with me.
    Thank for your input. :big_smile:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the War-Eagle 2072-LSDV side console. Full skinout sides and floor. Vinyl floor. 3 base plates front and back deck. Livewell. Suzuki 140 4-stroke outboard.
    The 12 degree hull does ride well in a chop. Even 1ft or 1 1/2 is not bad. But 2ft and the ride is not as good.
    Now it will out ride any flat bottom boat. As it does have some V to the bottom. If you were closer I would take you for a ride in mine. As Whistler,Bam,Kittycatcher,Fish and others have been in mine.
    Pete

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks for that bit of info Pete, I wished I was closer, I would take you up on that offer. I've never heard much on the War Eagle till just recently.
    I like the way they are built, nice and tuff. :wink:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    War-Eagle has been around for a good while. There a well built boat. But they will also build the boat as you would like it. Not like Sea-Ark and others you take what they have.
    The War-Eagle is a fine boat. If it was not for my bad back.(Was down for 6+ months this year unable to use the boat) I would not even think of getting a different boat.
    Did the one you looked at have the low front deck?
    Any questions I can help you with let me know. Also ever deal with the dealer there north east of you that sells Lunds? advantage Marine?
    Talked to him a few weeks ago about a lund.
    Also what kind of mowers do you run? I have a ferris.
    Pete

10. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Al. as far as aluminum boats got, there are cheaper ones but there are none better. One of there motto's is "Built for hunters, who like to fish" and nobody puts a boat through worse conditions at higher speeds than duck hunters. My brother has the 18ft model Ducks Unlimited edition that we hunt bigger waters out of. The only thing I would change about it is to get a side console and add a big live well. It is all welded and built like a tank. Rides very smooth in reasonable chop. I've never been in it in big waves before though. It's also light enough that sometimes we pull it with a Ford Ranger. You have to put it in 4 wheel LO to get it out of the water but it still pulls it fine down the road.

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks Colt for your input on the boat, I really liked the one I saw at the fishing show, If I gat one it will be the 20 footer with side console.
    :big_smile:

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have several, the cub cadet z-turn, scag 61in, Encore 32 walk behind,
    2 Toros with 8 hp Kawasaki and 1 honda that I use for a backup.
    The Ferris is a very nice mower but also very pricy for the new ones.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they do cost a few more Dollars. But man the ride is so great. And its nice to be able to cut in rough yards and not be beat to death.
    Mine is the IS-2000 with a Kawasaki 26-hp Kawasaki V-Twin liquid-cooled engine 61" deck.
    The Scag is a nice one also.
    Pete