Lookin to go noodlin

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Tadpole0901, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Tadpole0901

Tadpole0901 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Puddlejumper has educated me and realy set the stage for rod and reel catfishing as far as learnin how to look for and catch some good size cats. I am a noodlen man by my roots so I am lookin for a noodlen buddy. Does anyone have any advice? And or suggestions?

Tadpole

2. SouthernWhiskers

SouthernWhiskers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I noodle alot in the Tuscaloosa area. Don't know where you are from but would love to have you join us here.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Wear gloves?

Make sure you have someone with experience/expertise?

Although I would love to noodle a flat, I can't imagine what kind of damage can be done to your hands and arms. An big angry fish in it's own environment.

I could barely subdue the ones I reel out of the river and drag onto the banks.

Good luck, Steve and be safe!

4. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Don't think about turtles or snakes would have to be the best advice I can give. I've lost alot of fish during my first few times doing it lol. Also, you might want to take a face mask, them cats stir up mud and silt like you wouldn't ever believe.

5. clay_sosu

clay_sosu New Member

State:
    texas
    I only check holes that are completely submerged. helps eliminate chances of turtles snakes and anything else that has to come up for air. Holes adjacent to some deeper water have produced better for me. obviously never go alone. also flatheads in my area are the last to spawn so I dont even bother goiong till water temp is around 75 this also gives the big blues a chance to spawn and move out. Only flatheads can be noodled in oklahoma so this has a two fold purpose. You don't waste your time noodling a fish you can't keep plus blues have a tendency to bite and roll and can make hamburger out of your arm in a hurry. Last if you feel a bite try your best not to jerk your hand out of the hole.typically during that time the fish will spook out of the hole and all you have to show is a hand thats been peeled. flats will typically bite once or slap you with their tail then can be handled. also make sure all holes are blocked or your wasting your time. In noodling the more the merrier when it comes to helpers. Small holes can hold amazingly big fish so dont take any spot for granted. And lastly some holes hold more than one fish(male and female) so if your dealing with one fish and get bit again stay with it. if you find good holes keep going back year after year and they should keep producing to some degree. Unless you go with someone familiar to a body of water holes can be hard to locate at first.Any rocky shoreline will prob hold flats at some point and would be a good place to start. any hole that holds a cat or has held a cat will typicall have a clean sandy bottom with some small gravel. If you check a hole that has lot of moss, leaves or debris it most likely isn't a good place to noodle. I prefer to noodle around rocks but under cut banks and old logs also hold good numbers of flats I personally just have more confidence in rocky areas.

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    you go ahead and stick your hand down that hole n o t -:sad2:m e

7. clay_sosu

clay_sosu New Member

State:
    texas
    you just have to know what to look for. There's no rule that says you have to check a hole. If it doesnt feel safe it probably isnt. I just try to stay as safe as possible. Plus the mathematical odds of a snake etc being in the particular hole im checking in a 89000 acre lake are really pretty slim. The way I see it I drive a car every day and my chances of some idiot running a red light are probably far greater than a beaver eating me for lunch. Plus if youre gonna die it might as well be noodling :) Stay within your ability and have some friends with you and its a blast. The first hole you check is kinda creepy and the first fish will scare the hell out of you but after that the fear goes away and its all good!

8. tnoutlawkatfish

tnoutlawkatfish New Member

State:
    Mcminnville,TN.
    I'M GAME IF YOU ARE , JUST ONE THING I SAY WE SHOULD MEET HALF WAY . SAY CHATTANOOGA ON THE TN. RIVER. HELL YOU SHOULD TRY TO COME UP FOR THE GATHERING ON APRIL 24 THRU 26. THAT WAY WE CAN MEET & MAYBE DO SOME POLE FISHING I'M GOING TO BE THERE ALL WEEKEND LONG. BUT THAT NOODLIN SURE SOUNDS FUN .WIFE HAS BEEN SAYING I'M CRAZIER THAN BAT SHIT EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD OF IT,MOST OF THE BIG &BAD TN. BOYS ARE TO SCARED TO DO IT SO I HAVEN'T HAD THE CHANCE TO DO IT YET. BUT I'LL TRY ANYTHING ONCE ,MAYBE MORE IF IT'S FUN.:smile2: GIT-R-DONE!!!

9. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    where are you noodling at in tuscaloosa.im from that area also.i would like to see it done,i personally have never done it but i have heard of some people doing it.

10. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i wish you wer in VA. i just started grabblin a couple years ago and it was a blast! i never felt that rush before! im actually looking fer some guys to go with myself because i only have a few friends with the man parts to do it.