Lookin to buy a pistol...

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jmanion8, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I've been spending the night down on the river quite a bit and have consistently heard some coyotes getting closer and closer. My machete just doesn't seem to be the weapon of choice if I were to get into a tussle. I've got about $300 to spend on a handgun or pistol...what are some suggestions? I'm lookin at either a 9mm or a .45, but I really haven't done a whole lot of research. Any ideas?

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Good luck with your choice.

Make sure the ammo you buy is reloadable.
    Berdan primers and Blazer ammo are not reloadable. Unless
    you want to pay the extra $$ for the berdan decapper.
    If you look down inside the case, after firing, and see
    a single hole, it's reloadable. If you see 2 holes, it's berdan.
    Find a friend that will help you reload, or sell you some cheaper.

3. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    You could buy a decent used gun for that price, but honestly I think you should save up another 200 or so. This will open up a lot more choices of quality guns. I'm not even going to name any brands but I'll tell you this, if you get a gun and shoot it and it shoots well keep it. To judge if it is accurate and reliable you'll have to shoot at least a couple hundred through it to come up with a decision

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agree with adam. save up another 200-300 dollars and get yourself a good reliable weapon. i prefer 40 cal but that is just me. glock and springfield XD are nice weapons in the 500 to 600 price range and will stand up to about anything you can put them through. if you were going with the 45 i would go with a kimber 1911, but those can be one the pricey side. another good choice is CZ, as they have been coming out with some really nice pistols lately.

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, guys. I'll take your advice and save up a few more paychecks. I'm probably going to go with the Springfield XD .45. Hopefully I don't have another run in with them wild dogs before then...

6. Promaxx

Promaxx New Member

State:
    maryland
    Coyote aint gonna bother ya ,,best to have a gun for the 2 legged animals these days

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd never seen another person at the place I fish other than my two buddies. I left my cot down there for a day to dry out and now its gone...guess you're right about that. So you say the coyotes won't bother me?

8. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    9 times out of 10 a coyote will go 100 yards out of its way to sent check you to see what you are. He gets a wiff of your scent and he'll be gone unless he's sick.

9. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i always feel better with a coyote killer on my hip for sure:big_smile:

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    dont believe that a coyote wont bother you,they can be quit aggressive.I had one come after me while deer hunting once and a coupleof friends have had similar experiences with them.I wouldnt take any chances if i were you,better safe then sorry.I have a carry permit and i prefer a .40cal or a .45 acp.If your going to be carrying it around in the woods alot you may want to go with a revolver.

11. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    you wont regret the xd 45 !! i have two of them and love them!! this is one of the few pistols that will shoot with a 1911 as far as accuracy goes!

12. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    You wont be disappointed.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You will absolutely love your XD! I have an XD40, and I do alot of competition shooting with it, it is that accurate! At 30 yds, I can put 12 rounds in a headshot pattern all day long. I've owned many other polymer framed pistols, and I like this one the best, and don't plan on getting rid of it!:wink:

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One thing i think you should remember is your taking this gun fishing, right? Likely to get dirty and wet? Id suggest thinking about a wheel gun.

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A pistol for 99% of the owners is something that sits and collects dust in a drawer. Semi-Automatics are prone to jam. I would get a old beat up Smith & Wesson Model 10 38 special ex cops gun. You can buy them all day long for around $200 or so. Never ever fail and won't break the bank. If you need a pistol where you fish,,,,,You need a new fishing spot. If self defense is what you are needing, get a remington 870 pump shotgun with a short barrel and load it up with buckshot. Its what the marines and army gave our boys walking point on patrol. For close duty a shotgun rules!.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    coyotes aren't going to do anything but clean up scraps after you leave, but any excuse to buy a new gun is a goodun! :wink:

17. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the input, guys!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well to answer your firat question instead of selling you into a morgage payment you could get a highpoint for $200 and change. lifetime warrenty. i have the 40 and 380. havent had a jam or a problem with either. and if i do there fixed free of charge for life. 380 was $159 40 was $189.

for the $300 range taurus has the millemium 9mm . here its around $369. also lifetime repair warrentied. the new tarus 24/7's around $399 for 9mm. little higher.

i just bought a ruger p-95 9mm for $319.00 new with 2 mags and case. also lifetime warrenty for repairs. before you invest a grand search a few shops. theres QUALITY guns for under $600. most people reccomend only what they have.

highpoint guns are ugly and topheavy but when i pull the trigger they shoot. this small target was a clip full of 40's from mine fast as i could shoot em. that would took out heart and both lungs of any would be attacker or savage animal.:wink:

19. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Jeremy above is right on. You don't need to drop $600 on a pistol. There are a ton of good reliable pistols in the $300 range, new in the box.

The Ruger semi's are brute tough and accurate. Hard to beat them for the money.

Taurus makes many nice semi autos and revolvers that you can get for less than $350, new.

I don't have any Highpoint pistols, but I've got one of the 995 9mm carbines, and that little dude will flat out shoot. I'm talking 1" groups at 75yds, Remington UMC 115gr hollowpoints, open sights. You can't ask for more than that.:cool2::crazy:

Another gun that is highly underrated is Bersa. I've had the Thunder 40, and I've shot several of the .380's and 9mm guns, and there are no flies on them at all. You can find them on gunbroker.com all day for under $400, new. I'm thinking of getting the Thunder .45 compact right now.

CZ's are fabulous guns, I highly recommend them. Rifle, pistol, or shotgun.

Another option is looking at surplus guns. I've got a little CZ 82 in 9x18 Makarov that I picked up for $180 that shoots one ragged hole 10 shot groups at 10yds with cheap Russian ball or hollowpoint ammo. Best thing is that it's got fixed sights, and still shoots point of aim/point of impact with both loads. It's a slick, durable, easily carried pistol. :wink:

I'm not sure that a wheelgun (revolver) is going to be more reliable when it's dirty than an automatic is. The problem with revolvers is that they're more fragile than auto's are. You slip and fall, smacking your auto between yourself and a rock, it's still going to function. Do the same thing with a revolver, chances are, you're going to screw-up the cylinder lock-up and push the cylinder out of time, jamming it up and making it non-functional.:eek:oooh:

I have to say, if the wheelgun was the best option in less than ideal conditions, the the military (and gun deisgners world-wide) would have figured out a way to make a 15 shot revolver by now. When auto's were first adopted, the big deal was all of the firepower the high capacity mags offered. Now that a lot of the Special Forces had gone back to .45ACP, some high cap, some not, if the revolver was better, then they'd be shooting 8 shot .357 Mags or .45ACP wheelguns. My .02 worth.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i totally forgot about the russian macs. those are some really good pistols and very well built. they were made often for spies and seceret police and goverenment officials. most are under $350 with some at $200. very good deals. several folks around here have them and ive heard none that dislike them.

only drawback is the ammo. they require a 9x 18 makorov round and wont shoot the 9mm luger. so that rules out walmart for ammo. a friend of mine has one he converted to 380 so he can shoot regular ammo.

the first is a russian makarov and silver frame is boulgariun. they have the silver one here at the surplus shop for $199.99. it was the one i was gonna get before i bought my ruger. last is my 40 and 380. $350 for the 2.

last thing i would want to do is carry a $700 pistol to a river bank.

and in a second note. i have the 9mm highpoint carbine too. with lazer and nag light on it. pretty cool. it looks like a swat rifle and all under $300 with light lazer included.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009