Lookin for river help

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by ArmyCatfish, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    lookin for any advice, pointers, or rivers to fish in SE Ga. around Ft.stewart/hinsville, and savannah and all the surrounding areas.

2. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    The Altamaha and Sattila river are really good rivers been along time since I fished em though. You in 3rd ID? I'm at Ft.Benning. Give Catfish Commando an e-mail hes the area expert at FT.Stewert, I think hes Deployed still.
    SS

3. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks Ya im 3ID ill defenetly try talkin to catfishcomando. thanks for the help.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jon
    The Savannah River is full of blues with very little fishing pressure on them at all. We fish the river anywhere from Sylvania back down to Port Wentworth and catch them anytime. One of my wifes favorite spots is directly under the I95 bridge on the Ga/SC state line. Ill anchor up there and she will load the boat with nice eating size channels and blues. Some of my favorite spots not far from the Savannah area are where the mouths of oxbow lakes meet the river such as Fox Lake or Coleman Lake....these are all areas where 20 lb blues are not uncommon and fish can be caught all day (usually).

5. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Looks like the Altamaha is a short trip for you, so that's what I would do. Just make sure you call Jaycees landing ahead of time and find out what the level is at. There is structure and log jams all over the river that you can fish. I usually run a few limb lines to make sure I get some fish for the table if the rod and reel don't come through. If the river is low, well, low or high, if you don't know the river, Go Slow!

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I forgot about the Satilla. Only fished it about 5 times, and took me til the third time to realize that it's a good fishery and not talked about much like the altamaha. I don't think the flathead population is as high but there are plenty of big fish there and lots of 5-15 lbers. The Satilla is much safer and easier to navigate and the current is a lot slower to I think it's easier to fish. Hope this helps.
    Matt