Lookin For new catfish holes in the Alton area

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Jnagel, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I'm looking For new catfish holes in the Alton area i'm from wood river and the only two spots i go catch fish is Gordon moore park and the Mississippi at the mouth of wood river creek right off the berm. Anyone care to share their favorite holes in this area with me?

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Would love to help, but I am not in that neck of the woods. I know some other boys are though and hopefully they will chime in.

3. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I hope so i'm itchin for some new places to go, thanks for looking tho. I have a question for ya i'm using a Zebco 808 with a Mh rod and a chepie Shakespeare tiger spincast that i like witha MH rod too i'm tryin to set these poles up to use both on lakes and some river fishing, i bought some berkly big game 30 lb clear do you think thats too big i'm thinking i should take it back and get 25 or 20lb.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The line might be a bit much for most lake fishing, but is just fine for the river (imo) but if it is good for you and does what you want it too, then so be it right?

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I use big game 30lb on my lake rods as well... it's pretty good line for the money in my opinion. I'd roll with it if I were you and should suit your needs good both lake and river.

6. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    thanks i've been waitin for that before i string my poles with it.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have a catmaxx rod from bass pro strung up with that 30lb berkly big game. Like I said, I find it works well for me. I also will use the same line to snell up bunch of circle hooks too.

My other rod is a custom rod strung with 30lb magibraid dacron line chartreuse colored. 30lbs is probably excessive, but I also have cajun braid line that is 80#,... now that is excessive! :smile2:

8. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I just strung my spincast pole with the line i cant wait to take it out. I left the old line on my other pole just in case its a pain to fish with the new line untill it relaxes some. I've seen some crazies snaggin down at the alton lock n damn with 80lb line, i kid you not they were pullin tires and all kinds of crap out of there.:smile2:

9. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Where do you usaully fish bwhupp? thanks for the rep and all the tips by the way.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dude...... you fish that river enough, there's gonna come a day you'll wish you had that 80lb Power Pro!:wink:

Won't think its excessive after you lose that giant CAT!:smile2:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup- Skip be on it and knows:cool2:The sipp is the queen bi%# and youl will see sometime that she has a very unique way bout herself in all her glorey...she is ruthless and has no mercey fer nuttin...her kitteys are just like her..... just wait till ya get to pet a biggun(LOL)Go Big bro or stay home!:wink:

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Won't have to worry about finding a spot from bank this week, Ol' Sippi is to be rollin 31+ by Friday! :eek:oooh: 4 feet a day rise starting today, all the snow melt and rain from the north ya know, SOUNDS LIKE A MIRROR START TO LAST YEAR :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: Just don't snag any of them 80' Maple trees as they go scooting by :crazy:. And stop tossing them in up there Kenny :tounge_out:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :crazy:
    :eek:oooh:Hey I aint wanting to be dropping the R-Raider in the field again this yr but if we gotta we will be all over them corn & bean fields again:wink:you all can have the trees :cool2:this realey aint good fer anything but them schroons and there gonna be everywhere this yr fo sure:cool2:

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can suggest a couple of spots:

The dam on the Missouri side.
    The dam on the Illinois side (right off the berm at the Melvin Price Museum).
    The Lewis & Clark site off Route #3
    Chain of Rocks also off Route #3
    Confluence park. It is just before you get to the dam from the Missouri side. It has been closed due to flooding since last year.

I only bank fish and use 12' casting rods, Abu 6500 & 7000 series reels, all with #65 power pro. And very secure rod holders. You have a very real chance of catching a very large blue in any of these spots. I would also recommend learning to throw a castnet for bait.

Any of the guys at Bluff City tackle will help you find the blues. Good luck.

15. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    From the Bank: Try Chain of Rocks (Chouteau Island), also anywhere along the River Road between ALton & Grafton, Columbia Bottoms but make sure your fishing the Mississippi if all you have is a IL. lic., Belk Park, Downtown St. Louis along the coblestone, Chain of Rocks Cannal parking lot back behind the Lewis & Clark site along route 3 follow the leeve down to the parking lot. That should keep you busy awhile:confused2:

16. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Are you talking about belk park in wood river? I never go there cause i always hear theres no good fishin at all there:confused2:. If theres some channels there i'll have to head up the hill and give it a shot.

17. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    There are some nice Bass & redear in Belk but its all about timming out there, rumor has it that some nice catfish have been stocked in the lake over the years.

18. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    There are some nice Bass & redear in Belk but its all about timming out there, rumor has it that some nice catfish have been stocked in the lake over the years.

19. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I have banked fished that river a lot for years. The best bet for a big kitty is chouteu island. pm me and i will tell you my secret spot. I would even be willing to take you on the miss on my boat.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey patrick! A brother right next door to me! I am in Belleville. Someday you will have to take me out to the Miss! I have never been there because I am scared as hell of it!