Lookin for a baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 26, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    just recently i asked on here for recomendation for a first baitcaster, and after a few days everyone seemed to like the penn 209, which might i add is a awsome river reel and good for long casts but the other day i rigged it with the caralina rig and some dip bait, and realized that it wont cast small weights, so now i need a second reel, preflibly another baitcaster that can cast far with lighter weights, i was thinking the bass pro shops catmaxx reel, or something by abu garcia, but i want some tips, my only things i "need" the reel to have are a bait clicker and the ability to hold 20lb mono.

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Marshall.My sugestion would be a abu Garcia 6000 or a 6500C3,Both have bait clickers a good drag system and will handle #20 pound line.The 6000 will run new 59.00 dollars at wal-mart and the 6500C3 around $79.00 dollars,You can shop EBay and probably beat those prices.I don't think You will be disappointed in them.Both Good solid Reels that will last a life time with proper care and maintainence.JMHO. J.D.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you are fishing with dip baits, I think you would do just fine with a ABU5000 or a ABU6000. You aren't going to put much strain on them cause you will be catching cats under 10lbs most of the time anyway!!!

I will also add, Catmax reels are basicly junk in my oppinion!!!

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    How small is the weight you are planning to cast?

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I have to agree with john on this one. I wouldn't trade anything for all my abu stuff, I have a 5000, 3-6000, 3-6500, and 3-7000. The 5000 or 6000 can handle smaller weights but i wouldn't put more than 15# test on them.

Wheelmobile07

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    a couple of things, the weights i need to cast is around 1oz, and im not looking for a reel to cast just dip bait thats just what i was using when i realized it would not cast light weights, i guess that comes from it being a trolling reel, im actualy looking to get a reel for lake fishing, no current less weight

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Marshall, I got a catmaxx two seasons ago and it does cast great and I have 30lbs mono on mine. The down side I found on the reel is the bait clicker is not that loud and in faster currant in the river the clicker will not hold. I use mine for lakes and ponds now. An Ambassadeur would be a much better choice in my opinion, a 6000 is a real good choice.

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I would recomend the Penn 220 GTO . I have a 320 GTI I bought a couple of years ago.Never had any problems with it.You can get a 220 for about 50 bucks.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    marshal can you not dial back the drag on the 209 ? if not then concider the abu in a 5 or 6000 model i have even dialed back my 7000 to cast 1oz weights but thats a little over kill less you plan on catching monster cats above 30# . good luck on your choice

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You might wish to look up the Cabela's web site.Go to "Bargain Cave" and fishing.They have their "Salt Striker"bait cast reel 6600X on sale for $49.99,regular $89.99.They are so popular that they are backordered for 1-2 weeks.Read the reviews.I believe this reel is the Pflueger 66 made for Cabela's.The Pflueger 66 is being used by some of the guides at Santee Cooper for the big Cats and Saltwater fishing on the Atlantic,Gulf and Pacific coast for Striped Bass,Red fish,and Snook to shark.Read the reviews for both at Cabela's.There are experienced fishermen on here who love their Pflueger 66's.These reels are made to stand up to and be used in saltwater as well as fresh.Luck.peewee

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use the 6000, 6500 and 7000 all with 1 ounce of weight with no problems. While I loose some distance with the 7000 the 6500 and 6000 cast well with 1 ounce and can handle more. As a side note I do put 20 pound test on the 6000 and higher tesdt on the others and have had no troubles

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My 5600C4 and my 6500C3 both cast 1 oz well. Usually, I use 3/4 oz sinkers for drift fishing, though I got a bunch of 1 oz sinkers cheap and have been using them. I prefer the 6500 though. The wider spool just seems to cast better.

13. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Abu 6000, 6500C3 or 6600CB:smile2:

14. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
  15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would try a Abu 5000 or 6000.

16. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    if money is an issue go with the catmaxx its an excellent reel for the money, great ball bearing set up and they can cast a country mile, i personally think they cast better than 6500 c3 and c4 but then again they have more bearings. i beleive you can get the catmaxx for around 60 bucks where the abu is 80 bucks for the c3. both reels will make a great set up, but if money isnt the issue go with the abu, ive been using them for years, and have a couple that are about 8 years old, and i prefer them over my newer 6500 c3's abus a name you can trust when it comes to there baitcasting reels, hope this helps you out, but wither way you go you are gonna be happy. by the way i own a catmaxx i bought there combo, i figured for 30 bucks more you can get one heck of a rod with it, which is an excellent deals as well considering there rods are 70 bucks. good luck in your purchase, either decision is a good one.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Go wih the consensus here as far as the abu is concerned. You can not go wrong with the abu 6500. It can handle light line up to 20 pound line. And it has the versatility to be used for small channels up to the bigger cats as well. It casta like a charm as well and if you use a one ounce weight with 15 pound test, you can throw it a good ways.

18. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    they laid down some good info!
    good job guys:cool2:

19. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look at Catfish Connection for the OKUMA CLASSIC PRO 202L.
    Cost $ 26.75 will hold 200 yrds / 20#.

I have one and have only used a few times in the river in heavy current and had no problem.

20. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have a 209 and a 9m and they cast fine with 2 oz just add a little more weight and adjust the spool tention and save yourself some money(cuz there will be alot of other stuff your gonna want).