looken where to put boat in james river

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Tom Martin, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin New Member

State:
    va
    i live about 43 mile west of richmond next to zions x roads. looken for a good spot to put my boat in at the james river to catch some catfish.i normally fish at lake anna and know nothing about the james river any help would be apreciated.

tom:confused2:

2. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello Tom, you go around 295 to Rt 5 East and follow signs for Deep Bottom Landing. They have a nice area there, bathrooms some picnic tables and a good launch site!!! Hope this helps!!

Randy

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome on board the BOC, Tom! :0a25:

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Tom and what Randy said. Deep Bottom is my favorite launch. If you have a big deep boat then Jordon Point down in Hopewell is an option. To go to Jordon Point. Take route 5 east from Interstete 295, keep going about 6-7 miles to you get to a flashing light I think. Anyway, its a mayor intersection and will have a sign that says Hopewell turn right. Sooooo,,,,,Turn right and cross over the James River. The marina is on the left. Nice ramp and people catch plenty of 30 pound + fish within sight of the bridge. Check the wind forecast though. The river gets huge right there and can go from bath tub calm to your worst nightmare pretty quick.

5. Tom Martin

Tom Martin New Member

State:
    va
    thank kenneth i have a bass boat where do you think right spot

tom:big_smile:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would launch from Deep Bottom. Fish upstream or downstream 5 miles each way and you will be over 1,000's of big fish. Good luck.

7. Tom Martin

Tom Martin New Member

State:
    va
    I want to thank you alot for you help.the bigs catfish i've got is about five pounds.I wont know how to act if i get a big one.so thanks again for every thing kenneth.

tom

8. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Just curious why you guys would prefer DB over Osborne? I've used both (it's been a while), and usually refer people to Osborne due to more and easier ramps, IMO. Also, the parking, I think is a little easier and I like being on the main river/opposed to having to circle that shallow loop coming out of DP. Not to mention the skeeters, that live a DP as well :wink:

Both are fine, just wondering if I'm missing an angle, I might like to know about?

Thanks...

9. Tom Martin

Tom Martin New Member

State:
    va
    luce i dont know any thing about the james. the james river is new to me.

tom:confused2:

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Luce, that's a really good question. I think the main reason is that DB is known as a bait hot-spot, which is why it attracts so many catfishermen. You need fresh bait to have the best shot at a big catfish. Although you can find bait all over the river if you know where to look. Also, that "shallow loop" is loaded with great holes that have produced big fish.

Osbourne is the nicer and bigger ramp with more parking though. Both ramps are smack dab in the middle of great fishing. The most fertile area is between both ramps in the vaunted Dutch Gap area.:smile2:

11. Tom Martin

Tom Martin New Member

State:
    va
    you guys know more then me.i hear the james came be hard on a new comer.like to learn the james from you guys.

thank tom

12. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Edit: I saved that quote for a reason... I can be somewhat forgetful at times :) The James is a great river. Respect it, use common sense, and you'll be fine. As with most rivers, once you get in the bigger areas down river, a chart book can be handy, but just watch the bouys and pay attention. When I first started learning the river, a few skinny flats caught me off guard, but I'm sure I wasn't the first :embarassed:

Don't go re-thinking anything on my post... These guys are spot on for Deep Bottom landing! The other landing (Osborne) is an option, and used by "lots" of Bass fisherman, and bigger boat users. This may very well be, why they steered you to DBm. Like I said, I've used both, and I fish the pier at Osborne... Not for the great fishing, it's just close and convenient, and there is usually a few people to BS with :big_smile: