Look out mudkip and WylieCat

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Today (7-01-07) I went fishing by myself in the cove that I live in and man did I have a great time. Eleven blues and channels and ONE HUNDRED FIFTY TWO white perch. I was using my Sabiki rigs and was bringing in five to six at a time. Will wear out the vacuum sealer this afternoon. They were laying on the bottom in 24 feet of water for a distance of approx. 800 feet and the water surface temp. was 84 degrees and the wind was a blowing. Dieter, I was going against the wind while I was catching the perch. :tounge_out:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thanks for the pic going to try that sabiki rig sone time.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I LOVE IT!! Go get 'em Mac.:smile2:

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man thats a pretty sight. I haven't caught that many at once yet but I'm still trying.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Thomas, the secret to catching six at a time is to let it load up. The first or second ones get on and jerk the rod, which creates actions for the other perch to see. When the rod bends all the way down, that is the time to bring five or six in at a time. I tried using two rods this morning, but I could not keep up with the actions and just used one. As soon as the 1/8 oz. weigh hit the bottom they started loading up. I will probably catch perch in my dreams tonight. Not bad, huh?:still_dreaming:

6. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Are you using jigs on your rigs or live bait like redworms? I've never used Sabiki rigs but will try them. Thanks

7. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    What size and kind of vacuum sealer are you using Mac? Wife wants a bigger one jsut wondering what works good?

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Just the jigs on the rig, no worms, the size of the hook does not appear to make any difference. I purchased the mid range vacuum sealer from Gander Mtn., where else! Some of the guys are buying the one that Wall Mart has for $49.95 and they say that it will last about one year with heavy use. I do not know how long my sealer will last but, I sure hope it is longer than one year. The one I got is wide, maybe 16 inches+-. I will try to give a better photo in this attachment.

9. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Mac,
    No wonder you didn't have time to talk on the phone...
    Must have been a fun morning.
    See they are coming along on that house.:smile2:
    ThaBear

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    and where did you say this cove is at? lol

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thursday or Friday of next week I am heading to Norman for a perch slaying. With you help I would like to work to eradicate the white perch one cooler full at a time! :smile2:

Did you use your fish counter to keep track???? :smile2:

Sounds like a fun morning of catching and not fishing!!

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Chris, the location is Little Creek, in the proximity of the two shoal signs.

No Bro. Dieter, I didn't use the fish counter, too busy. I counted them as I took them out of my bait tank, five gallon bucket and live well.

ThaBear had to go visit outlaws and missed all the action. I called him the day before and invited him along. Poor guy! Also, invited the MasterBaiter but he never returned my phone call.

Before I left the honey hole, I called one of my fishing buddies who was already on the lake and invited him and his party over. When I left, they were pulling them in as fast as they could using a white 1/2 oz. jigging spoon.

Funny thing happen while I was catching all those perch. A buddy was out on the water testing his big boat out before a trip to the coast and he saw me and approached me at "no wake speed" to inform me that he marked a bunch of fish on the bottom, kind he did not know, on a point approx. 1,200 feet away and wanted me to leave right then and go check it out. I never missed a beat bringing the perch in and he sat there and watched me for a while. He then hollowed at me and said, I don't guess you are going to go and check my fish out, are you? I hope the action answered his question!:crazy:

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Monday, second of July was about the same as yesterday. On the hole at 6 AM+ and the bite was on. Pulled off of perch at 7:30 AM to let Capt. GG and his party have a go at it. Total count was 73 perchies, perfect size for catfish, except for about a dozen which I will fry up. Before someone bad mouths the Capt., I called him on my cell to let him know the bite was on and his party was welcome to come on over and mop up. :roll_eyes:

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Today, third of July I went back to the perch hole and man did I score. I caught three cats, one perch and some excellent catfish bait (see attachment) all on my Sabiki rig on an ultra light outfit.

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    there once was a rumor that the Colonel (Kevin) loved to use those bugle mouth monsters for bait. I tried it once. It sure is tough. I still prefer the KING of fish for catfish bait when the water cools down a bit. Whoo hoo!! Git 'em Mac.