Look at this MONSTER Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by rob128146, Oct 3, 2008.

1. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Well it has been a while since I posted but I'm still on here everyday just reading. Well the story goes like this.... I had a friend call me the other week and tell me that his grandfather caught this fish in Sept of this year 2008. I honestly beleive him because I have known this guy for a while. I have no reason to question anything he says. The thing I don't get is why has this not hit the papers or why isn't people talking about it. The only conclusion I can come up with is his grandfather is old and really don't know or don't care. I know MY grandfather (GOD REST HIS SOUL)has caught big catfish out of the Ohio River that weighed over 100lbs but none is in the books because he just didn't care about that he just enjoyed the sport of fishing and catching big fish. I have witnessed several fish he caught go over 100lbs. Anyway here it is...
    1. Fish was caught at a local lake/river. (I will not reveal the place)
    2. The fish was looked at and handled by a fish biologist when it was caught
    3. The fish weighed 164lbs 11oz
    4. The fish was aged at 64 years old
    5. The fish was 5ft 11in
    6. Don't know the girth........
    7. More info will be coming due to a dinner I will be having with him and his family this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've seen that pic before somewhere and I am not buying it. The fish is hanging pretty far forward of the fisherman in the pic which gives the illusion of monstrous size, kinda like the Ba$$ fishermen do when they hold their puny catch out towards the lens.

The fish doesn't look all that big to me, just a bit closer to the camera.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I seen that picture over a year ago. Sorry.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    :big_smile:Thats a good looking fish. It doesn't look like it weighs 164 lbs but it looks like a solid 125 Lbs. Nice fish anyway!

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Now that I looked at the Photo closer, I have to agree with the fellows above in post #2 & #3 .
    (Please):confused2:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well your buddy is full of crap.. that pic has been floating around the internet for a couple years and was revealed as a hoax long ago,,,, i would be pretty mad at him for trying to make you look like a fool!!!:cool2:

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree, i saw that posted on here earlier this year

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This picture is at least a couple years old and the general conclusion is that it is photo shopped. Look at the very very small string that fish is hanging from.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would like to believe that the fish weighs in at 164, but I would need certified evidence. Regardless it is a great looking speciman and I am quite impressed.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
  11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Ok! Ok! I'll confess! I was the one that really caught the fish. I was using a Snoopy pole and 4 lb. test line.

Really, I agree with the others, it's a hoax. If a fish like that was really caught, word speads fast and recognition of the person that caught the fish would make him famous. No hiding the facts!!:roll_eyes: Besides that would shatter the current world record flathead. I don't care who caught it, anyone would be elated about it. You would have to catch it all by yourself and tell no one about it, not to get any recognition. A fish like that would get notoriety pretty fast!!!

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Adam on this. The pics comes up every few months with a different fisherman and a different story.

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    YOUR BUDDY IS FULL OF $HIT. :roll_eyes: I am sure your buddy doesn't think very highly of you if he told you that is real. I would not be happy if I were you.

14. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Speaking of the "World Record" for a Flathead what is it?, I know what the Indiana State Record is...

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Time to reevaluate your friendship with that guy.

A practical joke is one thing...but to leave you believing his story is an outright lie and quite shameful.

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    He got you good! :big_smile:

Would you believe the one in my Avatar is actually 98lbs, I am just that giant of a man?

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The record is 123lbs 9oz from Kansas.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    World Record - Flathead Catfish
    (All Tackle)
    Weight: 123 lbs. - 9 oz.
    Length:
    Girth:
    Angler: Ken Paulin
    Caught at: Elk City Reservoir
    Bait/Lure:
    Method: Zebco 33 with 12 lb. test
    Record Date: May 14, 1998

http://www.santeecoopercats.net/records-world.html

19. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    X Billioneleventy.

That pic has been floating around for at least two years. I'm guessing 80 lbs or around that. It is a great fish and your buddy is a sad example of a "buddy".

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i actually think that picture is two pictures in one.thats why the one with the ole man and the background is faded and the fish is bright.. so i dont think its that the fish is so far in front of the man, its the fact that the picture was made from different pictures