Look at these Century Plants!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My Dad has had these Century Plants for about the last 20 yrs. He planted the 2 of them beside his bird bath in the back yard; made a "sweet" little rock garden. Well...in the past few years, these things have gotten huge. Nothing else in the bed, & the birdbath has disappeared between them. You can't get it out, because they have extremely long, sharp! tips on them. Then, in the past couple of months, they started "changing". A stem began to grow out of the center of each of them. Okay, they're gonna bloom. Then, it grew...and it grew....and it GREW!!! Now, the "stems"----actually very hard, solid stalks---are at least 20 feet tall. They've got little branches on them, where they will bloom. Dad's been making pictures. Well, I finally got my pictures of them....I think they're unbelievable!!!
    Daddy calls them his Twin Towers!!! What do you think??

Attached Files:

2. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nice pics Roxie.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Enjoy them while you can as soon as they have finished blooming they will die but the good news is that there is usually a baby or two left behind.

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Richard; yep, I've read that. Dad's okay with it. In fact, he couldn't understand how a plant could expend that much energy & pull through. Yes, there are little ones; I think he's repotted some. In fact, you can see his little greenhouse in the background. He loves his plants!

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never heard of these! Very neat indeed.... will have to do some research on them. Sure makes quite the landmark while they last :smile2:
    Thanks, Roxie!

6. ratherbracin

ratherbracin New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisiana
    Wow! They're simply amazing, Roxie. I didn't know that they'd do that.
    Great pics.

7. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    when i still lived in tucson, az there used to be century plants everywhere. they truly are beautiful and amazing

8. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    WOW!!!! Hey Roxie, since they gona die anyway, you reckon your dad will let me have them stalks for our upcoming tournament. Looks like they'd be just about right to hang a sethook on.:smile2:

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, the Century Plants of my dad's are finally finishing up, & beginning to die. They're looking pretty sad; look closely at the part of the plant at the ground & you can see the leaves collapsing. Dad's gonna let them die off a little more, & then begin cutting down, digging up, hauling off & burning the remnants. There's also a picture of the stalk close-up. The picture doesn't do it justice; it's actually about 8inches wide at that part, & hard as wood, but hollow! We've really enjoyed watching them.

Attached Files:

10. ratherbracin

ratherbracin New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisiana
    I understand that they produce 'babies' before they flower and die, but it's still kinda sad, isn't it? I mean, wow, how old are they when they do that? 50 years or so?:sad2:

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know some of them are, but I think Dad's are about 25yrs old. Still, yep it's kinda sad, but he's sure enjoyed watching them.!