look at these bites i found on a channel catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Aug 5, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    hey everyone,

so last night me and my brother went to seneca to try and get some flatties... after about 4 hours we didn't have anything so we switched our arsenal over to hot dogs to try and catch channels... the first one we caught had small white slug looking things attached to its whiskers and the bottom of it's mouth (see pictures 1 and 2 below) you can clearly see the little red bloody dots where the creatures were attached.... (we picked them all off and released the fish) the next one we caught had small "blisters" on its tail.. we popped one with a knife and it almost looked like a pimple! the third picture below has the knife tip pointing at one of these so called catfish pimples...

whats going on with the waters?! someone in an earlier post mentioned parasites in the water but i didn't really think anything of it. Is the lack of rain causing the water to get a little stagnant and letting these little parasites thrive?? what about the "catfish pimples"?!?!?!?!

Attached Files:

2. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    dang man thats really wierd sorry not much help here but i wouldnt advise eating them

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On first thought man it looks like leeches. Could be a disease wouldnt know. Hope this helps.:wink:

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Not looking good... I am not sure what they are but I read about stuff like this in fishing magazines, and read about it on the board!

Many things it could be, and many things that could cause it, but I believe that it definately isnt good for our waters, and especially our fish.

Thanks for sharing, I will keep an eye open to this in our local waters in Indiana...

5. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    Enteric Septicemia

common problem, almost like chicken pox in humans

throw em back!

6. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Good job, Shane. very interesting read about that, I had never heard of it or seen it before.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whats weird man. i dont even dare start to say what it could be.

8. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    leeches wouldnt do somethin like that. that is too many blisters and they are on the whiskers.... a leech would attach itself to the side or the belly of the fish and there would only be one mark... not dozens.... i would alert the DNR, after all thats what they are there for. could be from chemical contamination

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
  10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I will have to take Shanes word for it, being that I have no clue at all what it might be.

Although, about a month ago I caught a #10 lber on the Scioto(O'Shaughnessy) that had them all over. Nice fish, but it was creepy with all those bumps on it.

11. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i heard it was worms

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
  13. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I wonder does it spread from fish to fish would putting it back in the water be bad?:confused2:

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Not exactly sure what that is. I have caught some before that had some strange markings like yours did. I'll go with the posts an consider it to be something to do with the diseases that fish do sometimes catch.

15. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its all probably caused by juggers, limb-liners, and trot liners.

16. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    lol hahaha i totally get it haha

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    that was my post about the little guys that looked like leaches.

haven't seen one with the little bumps on them,though

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    well with him being so young, i figure this was his first spawn,so with all that in mind,i think 1 of 2 things happen.#1 daddy channel took him out, and got him with some slutty little channel for 5 gill heads,or #2 jr went to the wrong side of the lake and got his own little slut:smile2: yes folks, thats it in a nut shell a s.t.d.:crazy::crazy::crazy::smile2::smile2::wink: