Look at my ugly sturgeon

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Juggernaut, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut New Member

State:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Check this ugly thing out

Attached Files:

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    WOOOO, that thing looks wicked. I don't think we have man Sturgeon in SC

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    that thing looks awesome! lol

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Great pic... It's on my list to catch one day.... Thanks for posting......

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I would give all the cats that I have caught just to have another opertunity to catch another sturgeon

6. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    nice sturgeon...would kill to catch one(literally)...lol...kidding

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always wanted to catch one of those too for some reason. Good catch!

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, thats an awesome catch in anyones book! Its also on my list of Must catch before I die!! Im quite jealous......:big_smile:
    What watershed did you catch it in? Looks like it took a gob o' crawler?? is that right? it is just a baby, next time go for the 5 footer that certainly lives in the same waters!

Salmonid ( Sturgeon less) :sad2:

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    great pic thanks for sharing

10. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Nice fish I had a friend that caught one three weeks ago it was 6ft long and weighed 220lbs

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Nice photo hun, thanks for posting

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nice catch.They are fun to catch.I remember the first one that I caught up by the QCY,IL. dam.Had never seen one before and had no idea what it was. are they protected up there like they are down here in MO?

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on the catch. I have wanted to catch one for a while now but havn't once agian congrats

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish and welcome to the BOC.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder , welcome to the BOC
    sturgeon are quite awsome in my opinion

16. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the BOC Chris, that fish isn't ugly it's just a baby.
    Those can get huge and they sure can fight. Did ya touch it? There skin kinda feels like sand paper.

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Nice sand sturgeon Chris. I would surmise that you cought it in the Missouri river, Congratulations!! These Sturgeon are common in the strech of the river you were fishing and there tributaries we catch them mostly in the spring on nightcrawlers the run between #1 to #3 pounds they are of the same family as the great sturgeon and are not an endangered species and they are quiet good table fair the trick is cleaning them. they have no bones in them, just a cartilage running down there back bone. the filets are white and have a sweet taste. the trick to cleaning them is to cut off there head and lay them on there back and take your filet knife and peal out the filet from the inside of the body cavity much like coreing an apple on both sides of the backbone.this is the easy way because the skin on them rascals are super tough. They are also great somked with the skin on and after they are smoked the skin peals right off. sorta tastes like a smoked salmon. If you folks ever get the chance try it you will like them. also the sand sturgeon is not the same fish as the endangered pallid sturgeon as the pallad has 6 barbels extending from its bottom lip as apposed to 4 on the sand sturgeon I belive that to be correct. But I've been wrong twice before,But There both GONE. LOL. Your Friend J.D.
    :0a26:

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Chris, nice catch and welcome to the BOC!!! Keep them photo's coming and hope to meet you at a gathering! Thanks for sharing!

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    A good catch Chris, up here on the Mississippi River, we call them hackleback, or shovelheads. They are a good fighting fish on rod and reel. JD is right on about cleaning them, and I really like them smoked. They look prehistoric don't they? Have a good day. Andy

20. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "Sadly" you have committed the first "Cardinal Sin" of fishing..............There is NO SUCH THING AS AN "UGLY" FISH........................That is one "fine" specimen of a sturgeon................"ugly[?]" I know your mama and daddy taught you better than that.......