longterm live bait storage tank for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mcseal2, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am looking to build a better live bait storage system for keeping bait stocked up. I currently have 3 coolers with 12volt aerators, but I want to get something bigger and 110 volt to keep more bait alive longer. I have also used a stock tank with a recirculating pump, but it mosses over easily and the water heats quickly. I can easily catch bait in our farm ponds until this time of year when they moss over and I get to struggling to catch quality sunfish.

What I am thinking of using

-old chest type deep freeze
    -2 110 aerators with the hoses and stones that drop into the tank
    -1 cattle float that hooks to a garden hose (unclorinated well water) to keep the water full
    -adding in a valve and drain to let water slowly drip out (approximately 5 gal/day) and the float will refill that amout to keep cool clean water
    -1 submersible fountain pump to circulate water
    -keep it between 2 shade trees out back so it is always out of the sun

Any ideas of flaws/improvements on my design and what brands aerators to use would be appreciated. Also what do you feed them during their stay in the tank? I figured if we start tossing out ideas maybe we can all improve our bait set-ups. Thanks!

2. buckmaster27012

buckmaster27012 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Heres what I got. A 275 gallon plastic tank with the cage and a hole cut in top. Got one the 5 gallon bucket filter systems on it with 600 gph pump, pumping to it. Two of the 110 air pumps but the filter puts a lot of air in water. Tank already had a drain valve on it. I add water about once a week from evap from the filter and it also helps cool water also. Water temp never gets over 76-78, tank is in a shed. Keep bream two weeks or more.

3. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have a 1350 gallon poly tank that i cut the top off of. i only put about a 400-500 gallons of water in it. i only put that much in there so the chubs dont jump out. i have a 1100 gallon pool pump on it running into a 5 gallon bucket with filters in it. i have had about 100 good sized chubs and 100-150 gills/pumpkinseeds in it for over two months. i like this for that reason me and a couple buddies will go catch bait for a couple days then we are set for a couple months. i use this stuff called green clean to take care of the algea from blooming up or kill the algea that has already bloomed up so it stays clear.
    and for food for my bait i use little crawdads and minnows. i dont like worms because what they dont eat just creates a mess on the bottom that doesnt get sucked up.
    if you know any farmers or keep an eye open you can either get the tanks for free or get the for next to nothing if they have a crack or something wrong with them or they are no longer good for there use any more.
    here is a link to where i get my stuff to take care of algea growth. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/info/24178/category.web

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I actually am a rancher, and we have one of those tanks. I had not thought about using it, because I thought it would be to big and hard to get bait out of, but I may have to try that. I could sure have bait to last a while with that much water. Thanks for the idea.

5. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah they keep them alive better than anything i have ever tried before. and since we farm we have some lying around that we dont use anymore. i am actually going to set up another one so i can keep the chubs seperated from the gills and other bait.
    i keep mine in the barn so the water doesnt get as hot and every couple weeks i add 100 or so gallons to it just to refresh the water and add cool water. plus being in the shade all the time the algea growth isnt as bad as when i just had it siting outside next to the barn. a day or so before i am going to go fishing i just drop some buckets in that have a bunch of hole drilled in them so they lay flat on the bottom. alot of the fish will swim in them and just hang out in there. all you do is pick the buckets up and usually have enough in them for a night. alot easier than chasing them around with a net.