Longmont catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL COLORADO TALK' started by catmando, Feb 25, 2006.

1. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I'm new to Longmont Colorado I just moved up here from Texas last summer. I fished all last summer at union reservoir. I didn’t catch anything but 2 carp. I have a boat so I do get out on the lake. I'm looking for a new place to fish? If anyone knows of any places I could try my little brother and I would love it. I don’t know much about the other lakes around and I feel we are wasting our time at union. Any help would be great
    Thanks Dane
    :confused:

2. coloradowhiskerchaser

coloradowhiskerchaser New Member

State:
    colorado
    Hi and welcome to the hard catfishing state!

I live about 20 minutes south of Longmont and i have fished for cats my entire life. I will be more than happy to help a fellow cat angler to some sweet spots. Are you looking for channels to eat or ones to catch and release? Catfishing here isn't as good as texas but we have a few real choice areas. I fish union a lot but only for wipers. Most good cat lakes near us don't even call for a boat, nice little lakes to hit after work.
    For starters there are a chain of ponds in longmont called st vrain ponds. I havent fished them but have heard there is a decent channel cat population.

Good luck and stay in touch,
    Brett

3. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    hey thanks for writting back... yeah I'm just looking to catch them and put them back to get bigger and better. They sell darn good cat at the store if thats what i'm feelin. well if you can tell me a few places to go that would be great..

Thanks again Dane, nice to meet you brett

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I used to live in Longmont, I still have family up there. There are several places to fish up there for cats. There is a place called Barber ponds but I can't remember what road it is on, ask around and people will tell where it is.
    Also go up to Estes Park, there is a good lake up there too.
    I went to High School up there.
    Hope you like it up there.
    Good luck

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I forgot to mention, you can't get a boat on barber ponds, but they are still fun to catch from the bank.
    There are some places out in Firestone, thats not to far from you either.

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    You may also check out Mc Call Lake in Lyons. They also have a atrout pond that you can feed the GIANT TROUT. That is my wifes favorite place to go when we vacation up there.

7. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    hey thanks for the input.. I need all the help I can get here in this State.. What bait is good to use? i use worms and liver never have had luck with shrimp..Can you chum in Co?

8. coloradowhiskerchaser

State:
    colorado
    Dane,

Ok now that I know your a catch and release guy we can get serious about some big channels (big for colorado). I am kinda touchy about keeping fish because a lot of my favorite lakes are small and keeping just a few big fish can really impact the fishing.
    I have had some success with liver, worms, and shrimp at different places throughout the year but my best bait by far is sucker meat. There are several places that sell it frozen. I generally use a piece about 1 ince square or a little bigger. Chumming is ILLEGAL in Colorado!!! I don't know if your familiar with sportsmans wharehouse, longmont is between two of them. There is one in Loveland take I-25 north to the exit for hwy 34 west and go about 1/4 mile and it is on the north side of the street. The other store is in thorton, take I-25 south to the 84th street exit go west and it is right on the north side of the street( you can see it from I-25). The reason I am telling you about them is they almost always have decent frozen whole suckers and good prices and selection on tackle. I am going fishing for suckers today to stock up for spring, if I catch any I will let you know where.
    The ponds that the other guy talked about called babour ponds are the ones I told you about, they changed the name last year to st vrain ponds.
    As spring starts I will hitting the cats hard and I will let you know where is hot.

Brett
    p.s. Try the sucker meat, you won't believe how well it works!

9. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks so much you are the man.. Well I'll be talking to you once the cats start moving and thanks for everything...

10. coloradowhiskerchaser

State:
    colorado
    Dane,
    Well I didn't exactly fill my freezer but I did manage to catch one sucker. If you are interested in catching some bait or just can't wait to get fishing then try the south platte river between commerce city and fort lupton. It is full of monster carp and has a few suckers as well. I always turn the carp loose to fight another day but they are a blast to catch.
    Good luck and I will get you some info when the cats turn on.

Brett

11. shadthrasher

shadthrasher New Member

State:
    Loveland, Colorado
    :) Hey guys, it's good to see some more Colorado catcatchers here. I fish around Loveland and do well using fresh cut shad that I catch myself. Big Thompson Ponds is good for cats in the 5-8 pound range and I personally have caught them upto 15 lbs. 2 years ago a guy from Aurora caught one out of the back pond that weighed 20lbs his picture is in the DOW website. I have heard that Barber Ponds (now called St. Vrain Ponds) harbors cats upto 20lbs never caught any though. Lon Hagler also harbors fish in the 20lbs range and is my main fishery. Boyd lake was giving up cats in the 25lbs range Last year, seen em, never caught em. Also have read reports in the DOW website of cats up to 20lbs caught at Union Reservoir in Longmont. I have fished there but it is not easy to get a good spot to fish as there is limited access to the lake from the bank. As I said before shad is my best bait followed by regular ole bait shop minnows. Keep posting guys I would sure like to hear about the fish you all catch and maybe we can hook up with some good fishing together sometime!!!

12. coloradowhiskerchaser

State:
    colorado
    Hi shad,

Dang seeing some local catmen on here is pumping me up for spring! I am glad your here, I have some questions about Lon Hagler. I heard a rumor that blue cats were stocked there, is that true? Is that a state park? How much is it for entry into the park, and do they allow all boats or elec only? I am planning on fishing it this spring, and I will let you know when, maybe we can meet.
    Where and how are you catching your shad? I use sucker and do well but I am always willing to try something new.

Thanks!
    Brett

13. shadthrasher

shadthrasher New Member

State:
    Loveland, Colorado
    Brett,
    to my knowledge the fish in Lon Hagler are self sustaining and need little restocking. The only exception would be trout. I have never read or heard about any blues being stocked but that doesn't mean that some weren't stocked before I came to know the lake. Lon Hagler is a State Wildlife Area and it used to cost $4 per year for access. I haven't got my permit yet but I am hearing that the new habitat stamp covers that. Anyway I believe I read that in the DOW website as well. All boats are allowed but at wakeless speeds only. Yes, my favorite bait is fresh cut shad. I use everything else at certain times but when I really want a hard hitting, reel screaming, line ripping cat I use shad!!! I use a 5-6 ft castnet and cast it from the bank at Big Thompson Ponds. If the shad are running I can net hundred with one cast. If they are not running it may take several casts to get a bucketfull but it's worth it. The shad at Big Thompson Ponds grow huge for Colorado I can catch them consistantly in the 8 to 10 inch range. If we get together sometime maybe I can show you how I find the shad and how to net them.

Scott

14. coloradowhiskerchaser

State:
    colorado
    Scott,

Thank you so much for the information. Now I am really excited to hit Lon Hagler! Judging by your post on Union res I assume you don't have a boat? I have a nice 18 footer and will be more than happy to bring it along when we hook up to catch some cats. I have wanted to learn how to use a cast net for a long time so I will be happy to meet you and try your shad catching!!!! Speaking of line screaming cats I caught 7 cats over 10 pounds and 1 over 20 last year and I will be happy to show you my haunts. By the way if you have any interest in catching wiper we can meet at union sometime, the top water bite can be incredible!
    By the way, what time of year do you start catching nice shad?

Thanks again,
    Brett

15. shadthrasher

shadthrasher New Member

State:
    Loveland, Colorado
    Brett,
    I almost forgot another lake near by. Lone Tree Reservoir is not far from Lon Hagler and is also a State Wildlife Area. A boat does come in handy there. I know of some fellows who caught some 25lbers + out of there and I know exactly where they where anchored when they caught them. Lone Tree is well known around here for walleye and wipers so it gets little traffic for catfish. I fished Union a few times from the bank and damn near went postal when several wannabes casted accross my lines...I got the last laugh when their gear was all tore up from my reeling in. I'll bet they don't laugh at my 8 ft cat rods any more! Anyway I kept my composure and returned their riggings to them.
    Union is a great lake and I am sure that a future state record wiper is sure to come from there. I would love to hit it with a boat sometime either for cats or wipers. Sounds like you had a good year last year. Mine wasn't as grand as I didn't have the time I would have liked to dedicate towards catfishing. 20lbs is an awesome fish for Colorado, I have my goals set on hooking one of that size. So far my largest is 15lbs in Colorado. The fish you see in my photo is from Lon Hagler and he weighed 13.5lbs. As far as when do the shad run, I am not exactly sure. Last year as I recall it was in April when the water temp hit 60 I believe. I should keep a log on these things so I have reference for the following years but as it stands I just keep going out and watching the signs and measuring the water temp. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Scott

16. Ringtail1962

Ringtail1962 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I live in Evergreen and would love to do some good ole down home bank sitting catfishing. Does anyone know where to do that in the Denver area? I just want to wet a hook and maybe catch a few of our wisker friends. My nine year old caught his first last year at the Fair Grounds. It was about 12 inches long and he still talks about it. So maybe if someone could direct us, it would be greatly appreciated.:)

17. Ringtail1962

Ringtail1962 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I am also new but liveup in evergreen. I would like to fish closer if you by chance know of any places that are closer to denver. Thanks

18. coloradowhiskerchaser

State:
    colorado
    Ringtail,
    Hey bro your new to the area? Well welcome! There are a lot of small lakes around town that are perfect to take kids catfishing. The water is still cold so it can be very tough to get mr whiskers attention. However In the next few weeks it will start popping! I don't know of any catfishing around evergreen but I will be more than happy to update you on spots as they get hot. Once the water warms I would take your kid to a lake called crown hill park. It is on 26th and kipling, parking is on 26th just east of kipling st. It is free, close, and can offer fantastic fishing for pan sized cats, and occasionally bigger ones. I have fished there for 15 years and I always do the best at the little inlet or on the north east side of the lake. It won't look to impressive but I have got a few fish pushing double digits. Sucker meat is my bait of choice, you can buy it at most bait shops in town.

Good Luck!
    Brett

19. Ringtail1962

Ringtail1962 New Member

State:
    Colorado