Longing for Mississippi

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by cat-chaser, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm not from Mississippi but I have on occasion fished there a few times in the past few years. I've fished Eagle Lake, the Mississippi & Yazoo rivers & also the dam below Enid Lake.My experience at Enid was with crappie,in abundance-probably a hundred or more in about 2-3 hours or less, all released, all on jigs. The bank was lined with people catching crappie. I also caught a couple of gasper gou and black bass and 1 white bass. This was back in March '03 & I've been itching to get back there and Granada,too. I was told that this big crappie run goes on every couple of years or so. Does anyone know anything about this cycle? When's the next big run? A guy fishing right at the dam caught a 40lb flatty while I was there,too. I might make a trip that way next spring.

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    cat-chaser, I figured somebody would have answered by now. I am curious about this post too.

3. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm really shocked that nobody knows this area. I'm also interested in info on the Yazoo River outside of Vicksburg-the dam near Eagle Lake.I caught some nice cats there and I saw some huge alligator gar-I'm talking 6 footers & bigger.

4. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    The crappie pack into the spillways of the flood control reservoirs during the winter when the flow is right. The COE regulates the level of the lakes during winter and keeps them low to hold water when we get big rains. They will gap the gates open to let out as much water as they can as quickly as they can after every rain, unless the rivers downstream are swollen. In that case, they will close the gates, let the rivers calm down then open up the gates. This fluctuation in water flow makes it hard to get a consistent pattern on the crappie in the spillways, but when the conditions are right and there is plenty of water flowing, the crappie fishing can be exceptional at the spillways.

The Yazoo River drainage (Coldwater, Yalobusha, Yocona, Tallahatchie and Yazoo rivers) is some of the finest flathead fishing in the South. I don't know much about the south end towards Vicksburg, but did live at Belzoni for 30 years. I now live "upstream" where the Coldwater and Tallahatchie converge and there is some fine flathead fishing here. Plenty of blues and channels, too, but the yellow cat fishing is prime here.

You find the big blues more on the Mississippi but we have our fair share of medium ones here. Also see the gator gar primarily on the Mississippi or oxbows that connect to it (like Eagle, Chotard, Albermarle, etc.). Gator gar in the interior of the Delta have pretty much been fished out of the landlocked oxbows and smaller lakes. I did have a commercial fisherman to catch one about 7 feet long up here last summer....first one I've ever seen in real life. He said she was full of green roe when he pulled her out of his gill net, so there's got to be more around. It even surprised our biologists because they've spent hundreds of hours sampling fish in the upper Yazoo Basin and have seen very few gator gar.

The crappie fishing on the Delta oxbows can be phenomenal during spring spawn. Catch the weather and water temp right in April and May and you will be hooked.

Stop by the MDWFP District 2 office on the hill overlooking the Enid spillway when you come. You can get all of your licenses and lake information there, or visit www.mdwfp.com.

Rob