longest shot on a deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fishstick, Oct 25, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was just wondering what were some of the longest shots and with what rifle you made these shots with on deer. i know that most shots on deer are at fairly close range especially in my home state of arkansas but some of you guys live and hunt the wide open spaces where long shots are the norm. personally, my longest shot was 525 yds and i was using a remington 760 pump in 30/06. i shot with a hunting coat as a rest across the hood of my truck. guessed the holdover for that range and let it fly---hit the 6 pointer high and broke his back but was aligned perfectly over the heart and lungs. pretty good for a 22 inch barreled rifle.

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Back when I was in school in the mid eighty's the deer were few and far between around here.Me and a friend was riding on westvaco land after school and spotted a big doe standing on the bald top of the next ridge over.It was around 450-500 yards.No way to tell as the hills were so rolling , didn't have a rangefinder.Like you I aimed high and luckily it went through the spine above the lungs.I had no idea that a ruger model 77 .25-06 would shoot so flat.I was standing and using the window opening as a rest.When I got home my dad seen where the bullet had hit and was giving me a hard time about almost missing it.I told him about what I considered at the time my great shot.My father threatened to take my rifle away if I ever done that stupid trick again.I still don't know if he was madder at the distance or for shooting a deer from a vehicle.Looking back I think one was about as bad as the other.Since then I have been lucky enough to take alot of deer.I can also assure you none of which came from a vehicle or a distance of more than 200 yards.A long shot does have a time and place but I haven't found it yet.Unless I start talking about whistle pigs and my .243 or .220 swift.Great post and thanks for bringing back some memories.And yes I do still have the .25-06.:big_smile:

3. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I've shot several deer between 400 and 450 with a remington 700 7mm .i usually aim about 10 to 12 inches over there back..I do know that cross wind will move the bullet left or right .but i think my longest was about 3 tenths of a mile...I was with a friend that I had been taking hunting alot because he wanted to kill a big deer and he didn't have many big ones on his place..Well one day he was over at my house and he wanted me to ride out to his land ..Well he had this big buck tracks that he had been seeing for years and he called the deer big fred..lol...Well we turn up into this big hay field and there stood Big Fred about 200yds.So i told him to shoot the deer.
    i wasn't going to shot his big deer..Well we were shoving the gun back and forth and Big Fred took off running..He ran straight away from us all the way across the big hay field then there was a big cotton field that had been picked ,he ran across it and stopped under a big oak tree at the tree line..Well that made it alittle more challenging..He had a bolt action 270 and I opened up the truck door ,got a good prop,aimed about 2 foot over his back a squeezed one off ..and I heard that whop sound..I said kenny,That just hit some meat...I didnt see him fall and I'm not fixing to step it off but hit that button on your speedometer and let's see how far it is...Well as we got to the cotton field I could already see a white belly laying under that oak tree...It was a nice 8 point 18 inch spread and field dress 189 lbs... i shot him thru the heart and 0ne shoulder so I figure that shot was between 550 and 600 yds im guessing.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    5-600 yds ain't too far to hit a target, but it is a bit far if ya didn't sight in at that range. If ya got it lined up, its either a good hit or a miss. Glad ya got it, I haven't shot those ranges in 25 years, and my eyes are getting bad too. I suppose a scope would help and also help estimating the hold over. A 30-06 should have enough energy to make a good kill at that range, even farther with a good bullet. I think the longest shot I"ve taken was about 80 yds on a little spotted buck. he looked like a rabbit layin there when I got up to him.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    man, i've always wanted me a 25/06 but never did bite the bullet to buy one. they would be about as lite as i would want for deer. i've taken deer with a 6mm but it is IMO too light for deer sized game. they play havoc on a coyote though.

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Right you are , I don't want to start anything as we all know bullet placement is the key.Most everyone also have or seen a deer or two taken with a .22.I have taken deer with a .243 and it will do the job just fine providing the shot path is clear.With a .25-06 as with any caliber you really need to choose your bullet wisely as I found out the hard way.I had a 70 grain fail as it was a varmint bullet.Shooting at less than 20 yards the bullet exploded on contact.As long as your shoot the right ammo a .25-06 is fine however I use mostly a .270 these days.As far as coyote's the most damage I ever seen was from a .220 swift at 200-225 yards.He was in a slow walk I still hit him low and too far back.He still dropped like a box of rocks.The trauma from a 62 grain bullet traveling at 3950 f.p.s. is astounding.As long as you have a clear shot path and the right projectile most anything will get the job done.My eyes aren't as good as they used to be either now it is hard for me to pick up small things in my shot path and a .270 just makes it a little more forgiving.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Every shot under a 100 for me . When I was in the army years ago . I qualified 40 out of 40 and that was out to 300 meters what ever that translates to . But I would rather wait for the deer to get close .

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i agree with ya lance, best to take an easy shot. i started this thread for the purpose of letting some of the guys tell of their famous shots though. these guys are the snipers of the deer woods, one shot one kill at unheard of ranges. :roll_eyes: i don't recommend taking these kinds of shots at anything for fear of crippling an animal and causing undue suffering. some of us have done it though and bedamned the consequences. there's nothing like the feeling of being (or thinking) that you're in tune with your weapon and making the shot of a lifetime. :eek:oooh: :crazy: :wink:

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am old, fat, and lazy. I make double sure the deer is where I can pick it up with a truck or at worst a four wheeler. No more dragging for this man. I hunt in trees and shoot them at 20 yards or so.

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    75 yards. 30.06 150 gr. PSP. Stood behind a small tree, put my hand on the tree and supported the rifle with between my thumb and forefinger. First and only deer kill.

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Heh! I hear ya! Where I used to hunt I had a 1 mile drag through the woods, a creek, and over and under deadfalls. 150 pounds doesn't sound like much until you're dragging it out, tired, wet, cold, and have to poop!

12. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My farthest is about 250 yds with 270 win. I watched a buddy of mine shoot a doe a 478 yds one day. I was impressed. I don't feel comfortable shooting much over 250yds, so I will keep my shots within that range.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    my 525 yd shot wasn't a planned thing. i don't make long shots either as a rule. just a couple of twenty something guys riding across a bean field in a pickup truck many moons ago. when we spotted the deer the trash talking started and the shot was taken. lucky shot? you bet. but, it was the shot of a lifetime. think the trash talking didn't start then? you know it did.

14. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i shot a doe at 425 yds dropped her in her tracks. shot at an eight point buck at 325ran about 75 yards. I was using a sportized 1917 springfield 30-06.

15. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    I personally feel taking Game beyond 300 yds meets with poor ethics. Fair Chase Is why I and alot of you hunt. Im a Diehard Bowhunter for the mere reason Of my training while in the Marines, I just dont feel its a fair hunt. Jf I were to Kill a deer with a match grade .308 out to even say 700 yds it just doesnt seem fair with that kind of advantage. I do hunt coyotes and even though I can and dont mind taking them at any distance, I challenge myself by calling them in as close as possible.
    Im not judging anyone its just My humble opinion. I wouldnt be a very good advocate for ethical Game management If I didnt express my views.

Thanks,
    Scott

16. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    WHEN I was about 13 years old I was on an organized hunt in Alabama. I was posted on a ridge and drivers were coming across a big bottom. I spotted a deer way down the ridge and fired he dropped like a rock. because of the drivers no rifles or slugs were allowed. I got my deer with one 00 pellet right behind the ear. when we shot a ranger would come to see if we scored. we measured off 77 yards from where I stood to the deer. Course that was just the way I aimed. :wink:LOL

17. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    longest shot i have ever taken was 43 yards with my diamond black ice just dont seem right to shoot a deer a 100 plus yards with a projectile traveling over 2000 feet a second when you can get em at 20 yards with an arrow traveling 280 feet a second just my opinion from a bow hunter :wink:

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the longest kill i have is up for debate, and both were off a very comfortable rest. one i shot off the bed of my truck with a sandbag for a rest first shot i estimated the range to be around 500 yds shot under him about 20 inches he stood up as he was bedded down. second shot i hit him, he simply rolled over and was dead, direct hit to the vitals. we didnt have a range finder with us that day, but the next day my buddy who's farm we were hunting went back out and ranged it at 664yds. the second was at a different farm similar situation, i was laying prone and on the first shot i hit her and she stood up and rolled down the hill.... however it was in a different property and we didnt have a range finder. my friends (two of them) and i debate the distance but the exact distance is still unknown. to be honest no one should shoot that far, there is no need and the chance of a bad shot is to high. i was shooting a lot then however and i knew my gun and ammo, i wouldn't take that shot again today however. it is amazing at large distances how hard it is to really judge distance...

19. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thats a fact jeremy. shoot, it's hard for me to judge any distance.

20. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Same here, I rarely take a shot over 20 yards. I have nothing against gun hunting, but it's just not my thing. The biggest challenge in deer hunting is not the shot, it's getting close to your target