Longer fuel hose, any problems?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by graybeard, Feb 18, 2006.

1. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've read a couple different places about using a longer fuel hose and putting the gas tank in front to distribute weight. Seems like a good idea for me, cuz with the motor, gas tank and my fat butt in the back, my 14 foot jon kinda drags. Then I read somewhere else you shouldn't do that as the longer hose makes it hard for the motor to get gas. Any thoughts, Bob, Bubba or anyone? Thanks

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Graybeard I dont really see as to why it would matter as long as you have good pressure at all times in your tank and line. I have a built in tank in the front of my boat and the line runs approx 16 foot to the back (20ft boat). I would think as long as you keep the bulb hard and pressure in the line it wouldnt make much difference but it would help distribute the weight a little more. Im not an expert though, just my thoughts.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Don't worry about the long fuel line. It's pulling fuel uphill that you might have a problem.

I've run fuel lines from the bow of many boats to the engines.

The primer bulb will only get hard at initial priming when the carb bowls fill and seat the float against the needle. After the intake of fuel, they'll all get soft again.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have One in the front of my boat to and I also have two batteries up front.
    Knock on wood no problems yet.

When you install it make sure you get all fittings tight. You sure don't need air getting in the line.
    I also recomend putting a water seperator typ sin on fuel filter system on it. Mount it as close to the motor as possible.
    You can pick one up at walley world for around 25 bucks I think.

5. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the help, guys! Also another thought. With a longer hose, does it matter where the primer bulb is located?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I would think that it should be closer to the tank than the motor. Most fuel lines come that way.

I've also run a hard copper fuel line from front to back, with a rubber line flexible at each end.

7. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't run copper along an aluminum hull. The metals will chemically react and corrosion will result.

8. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Put the primer bulb back close to the motor so that if you loose prime you can get to it easy. Nothing like loosing prime in rough water and have to climb over stuff to the front to prime motor. That could be disasterous! !

I've always rigged my tank in the front and primer bulb in the back. Works good for only one person in the boat to help keep most of the weight out of the back of the boat.