Longer cast?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishcrazyjr, Jan 15, 2007.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i hear there are ways to make your abu cast longer? is that true and if so how? (6500 c3)

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im not quite sure what you mean i can cast farther simply by adding a little more weight or loosening the brake knob and also all reels cast farther if on a longer rod hope this will help

3. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ive never had an abu, but on my penn you can loosen the brake, and sometimes that will add about 30ft to your cast, also like was said, a longer rod will always help

Marshall

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i took off the little white things inside my reel, i dont really know what they do but guy that i use to salmon fish with told me that would help with distance.

5. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    what little white things?

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adjust your spool control more loose and properly lube the reel. Other than that I would use a longer rod or more weight as was stated. If your spool control is adjusted to loose expect backlash until you get use to it. It will become necessary to adjust after each weight change.You might want to invest in some Reel Magic to spray on your line and rod guides.:0a26: :0a18:

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with the reel magic, also a smaller diameter line will help you cast farther. Try the new Vicious Line. It works fine for me.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    James, those little white things are the centrifigual brakes. By removing them, you stand to increase the number of backlashes/bird nests quite dramatically. I would just as soon do without the 10 or 15 feet you may gain by removing the brakes. Get to fish a little longer without having to respool the reel. There are several ways to increase casting distance. !. A longer rod will increase casting distance. All things being equal, a 16' rod will chunk futher than a 12' rod. 2. Smaller diameter of line reduces friction, increasing distance. 3. A weight near the upper limits of your pole should increae distance. 4. Your form when casting should increase distance. 5. Proper reel maintenance should increase disance by reducing drag. The best remedies... bigger pole and practice, practice, practice.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ok, i thought that they helped controll the spool somehow. I've gotten so use to not having them that i take them out of all my reels and keep them in the box that the reel came in.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    One thing that these guys didn't mention is: don't buy cheap line. Some lines are more flexible then others. The more flex, the further the cast. It also helps with lure action. "Hard" line also has more memory, meaning it will take on the shape of the spool causing loops that have to work their way through the pole guides. That causes more friction. I use mineral oil to lube the line on the real. Works great and is odorless.

11. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Some guys that cast for distance replace the bearings with ceramic if that is what you are talking about. You can buy a kit.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A longer rod, heavyer weight, and backing off the brake will give you longer casts.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Don't think I saw it mentioned yet, but I've heard that fewer guides on your rod will increase distance compared to the same rod with more guides. The less friction factor at play again.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I see in your avitar picture you are using corks on small rods. I used to use 1 1/2 oz. sinkers but when I started using corks I switched to 2 and sometimes 3 oz. sinkers to get my distance back with the 6500 on an 8 ft. rod. If you really want or need distance you will need to switch to a longer rod from 10 to 16 ft. I use 14 ft fenwicks with 7000 reels when distance is needed. I would not recomend you remove the brakes until you are real confident in your casting ability.

15. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    those are not my rods in the pic i was with a guide, i use 10 and 12 foot rods with the 6500 and 3 to 4 oz lead i just was told something about bearings and bushings or something like that?

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremy I use 12 foot rods myself and Abu 7000 reels with 5oz bank sinkers and with my style of casting im able to get out about 150 yds plus

17. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    It's all been said I think. You can take the centrifugal brakes out. There's some lubricant available called TG's Rocket Fuel that is supposed to increase distance - I guess it's just a thinner oil with less drag (and probably less lubrication!). But you'll need to be careful with your casting or you'll spend most of the day knitting!!!

You could try a fixed-spool (spincast?) reel as they cast further in some hands.

If you start thrashing at casts you lose accuracy, get in tangles or lose the bait...I'll rephrase that - if I start thrashing at casts then that happens! I HATE bird's-nests! I normally just move my boat LOL

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with Flathead Willie, a good quality low memory line would do wonders for a longer cast

19. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    well boys! i guess we got to the bottom of that. whats next lol thanks for all the info and by the way i need to get over to the uk and get me one of those wels cats who is gonna sponsor me? lol

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I believe thats what hoot was talking about, repalcing the berrings with ceramic bushings for distance they also have ceramic paws id immagine ceramic with the right lube should get some distance dont know how much.