Longbow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Dec 10, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    anyone here hunt deer with a longbow/recurve? im thinking about getting one or the other and learning to use it. compounds are cool and all but seems now all they need is a stock and a scope(O WAIT! THEY HAVE THOSE!) and youd be shooting a rifle. also theres more pride in shooting a deer with a long bow or recurve next to a $900 compound

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a long bow that was my dads and used it untill he passed away. There were many deer taken with that bow, mostly by him but, I got a couple with it myself. I agree with you about the "pride" part of it. My dad made his bow and a few others for friends and family. He learned from his dad and so on. I never got to learn how to make them though, he passed before he could teach me. So it hangs in the "man room" of the house and collects dust until I have the time to take it down clean it up and remember the good times with my dad.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Have them both.. been years ago that I used em... the recurve is easiest to use here in the local mtns. thick brush... less chance of hitting stuff when you raise up to shoot.... Had to shoot from the knees sometimes and the long bow had to be put on an angle. Have a arrow rack on the bow rather than a quiver.

bayrunner ray

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I don't think i'd like to hunt with a longbow (i'm only 5' 5") because it would be longer than I am tall. :smile2:
    I have been considering a recurve though.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know what you mean Jayson, seems like compounds are bows with training wheels anymore.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    well im 6' 1 so i dont think id have a problem there:big_smile:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Then make it so young Jason. Make it so. Aye Aye ?
    Look for the bio of a fella named Fred Bear.

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    True, true.
    Another good one is Bryon Ferguson (spelling) This guy is great with a long bow. I saw him do a demonstration where he hit a moving target blindfolded and also shot a breath mint that was thrown into the air by his wife. It took him 4 or 5 times to hit it, but still shooting something that size while it's moving is pretty darned impressive!

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
  10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Believer your tall enough. I am 5-7 and about 5 foot wide but, I didn't have a problem shooting my dads long/recurve bow.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    yeah, the bow im lookin at buying is a fred bear, my dad has a fred bear recurve but its to small for me to use.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw a video where Byron hit 9 out of 10 ASPRIN out of the air! That's hard to argue with. Jason, I've been hunting with a recurve for 30 years and will never hunt with a compound again. As of this season I've taken 129 deer, two wild boars, two foxes, three turkeys, a Bobcat, a Groundhog, a raccoon, over a dozen squirrels, and a couple dozen Carp. It works for me!
    As for Believers height problem; most shooters "cant" the long bow and recurves.(tilt it to the side) That keeps the arrow from falling off the shelf and aligns the arrow closer to the eye for better aim. Long bows shoot smoother but recurves have the advantage in thick cover and in trees. You're right; it's a lot more satisfying to take game with a "stick bow", and I believe that it makes you a better hunter in the long run.

13. gilmafam

State:
    California

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Ray, I don't shoot bears here in Virginia. I raised bear dogs for 18 years and ran them, but only with a camera. I just don't feel that we have enough bears here. With all the hours and days I spend in the woods, I rarely see them unless it's with dogs. The main way they hunt them here is with 40-50 hunters, radios, trucks, radio collars, etc., and then shoot them as they are chased across a road. That doesn't sit well with me. The ones they shoot here are usually only 250-350 pounds. These guys don't give them a chance to grow up. I had a hunt booked in Ontario a few years ago but the guide called a week before I was to head up there and said he was getting divorced and canceled.

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I know how you feel.... I sometimes feel guilty when I keep more fish than I really need... I was just check on ya....You know what I mean.... At least when you draw back, you can really feel you have a choice to let er go.... I mostly use my camera.. to catch game.... I Like the old way of stalking them rather than them comming to my stand.... Best "high, hunting or stalking" was.... I was laying there "creeping on my belly" and a quail jumped over my out stretched hand. No "shinola".

bayrunner ray

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Jayson, you should really try stick bow shooting. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding. I'm starting a new phase now by shooting left handed. (I've always been right handed but my left eye is dominant.) I got a left handed bow for my birthday last Sunday. When I started shooting it I only hit my 24"X24" target about half the time at 15 yards. I have several field points buried in the wood privacy fence. Sunday and Monday the safest place was right in front of me. I've been shooting 130-150 arrows a day and tonight I had some of my 5 shot groups down to 5 1/2 inches at 20 yards. One group was so tight that I broke the nock off one arrow and a feather off another! I still get a "flier" now and then but there has been a vast improvement since Sunday. I think that by next season I'll be ready to kill my first deer left handed. Give it a try. It will open up a whole new world of hunting for you.

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive decided im going to, i tried my dads recurve for the first time even tho its to small for me to shoot right. and im gunna start saving some money to buy a new bow. i have a question though, can you shoot carbon or any other kind of arrows from a stick bow or just wood? what kind of broadheads also, normal broadheads or is there something i need to kno?

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Like I said in another thread, stick bows are very forgiving. You don't even have to come to full draw for close shots and you don't have to angle your body into the shot like you do with a compound because there are no sights to line up.
    You can shoot almost any arrows in them. They should still be "set up" properly. Just watch the arrow flight and adjust the nock points and rest (if you use one) so there isn't a lot of wobble to the arrows. You can get 'stick on' rests that come with shims to adjust to the center of the arrow.
    Recurves don't shoot as fast as compounds so I would suggest a fairly heavy broadhead which is razor sharp. I would not suggest mechanical broadheads.

19. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey guys, great post.
    I just switched to recurves a few weeks back and having a ball shooting them. Very light weight and no gadgets added or will add. I picked up a Bear kodiak magnum (52", 45lb) and a Bear Kodiak Hunter (60", 45lb) of of Ebay. 1960's vintage. Shooting feathered carbon arrows of the shelf and working great. I bought a VHS on instinctive shooting by G. Fred Asbell called instinctive shooting and it has helped a bunch. Ther is also guys on here and around that are more than willing to help.
    Tight lines
    Danny J

20. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    danny, i see your fairly new here, welcome to the BOC. my dad has a bear kodiak magnum recurve and its a nice bow. his is a bit older and to small for me to shoot at full draw but i still like it.

billie, im gunna ask for your honest opinion on this just like ive asked many other people:tounge_out: you think this is a good bow to hunt/target shoot with? ive had my eye on it for awhile now and they had one at gander mountain that i went in there quite often to look at until someone bought it. anyone own this bow or kno someone that does?
    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...parentType=index&indexId=cat600272&hasJS=true