Longbow vs recurve

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flaboy, Mar 3, 2007.

1. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I just watched primal dreams by wensel bros. Awsome dvd. I want to park truck and hit the woods. what is the advantage of recurve over stickbow? gotta ehrow compound away!

2. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    a re curve is a little more compact so its easer to get thru the wood

3. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    At the risk of being used as a "3D Sillouette" by the stick shooters and/or the recurve shooters............NONE! I shot both until my shoulders decided they didn't like the strain. The main difference in ANY bow, other than the obvious draw weight is LENGTH. Longer the bow the smoother it shoots, which translates into a softer action. I've shot hand made bows and bows that cost more than my first new car, some weren't worth taking out of the case, some I wish I still had. Opinions of which is best will always be a topic of conversation, but fortunately that's part of the sport?

Now you will probably be inundated with much technical information from both sides pertaining to the physics of why one is better or worse. Why "respondent A" wouldn't own another of those ****** stick/recurves again and why you shouldn't buy one either.......Opinions; glad we all have one.

4. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its a matter of preferance, I shoot both but when it comes to my hunting bow I usually end up taking my longbow. I like the lighter weight, and they are definately quiter.

Stickbender

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Lionel;
    I've shot both. I even tried a "Whiteman's Bow" which others call a compound bow.
    This is just my opinion, but over the years I've always thought that brand new beginning shooters seem to get off to a bit better start with a good Recurve vs. a Longbow. I found this to be especially true if the Longbow did not have an arrow shelf cut into the bow.
    If I could find a custom Bowyer that would make me a 6' version of the Bear Magnum profile I would have it built to my specs and "Gofer it"!:smile2: I've always thought that Bow was one of the most beautiful Recurve Bows ever made!
    Right now I am shooting a I shoot a PSE Heritage Series Sequoia by Jeffry Longbow that pulls 85#'s at my draw length. When I practice like I should I've found that at any range that a person should be shooting, say Whitetail Deer that I am consistently on target faster and letting go sooner than the folks that use a compound and one of those mechanical releases and other doodads and gadgets!
    Now, having said that, I am NOT knocking the compounds! They DO have a place in the Archery World, especially for people that have certain physical disabilities. What I am saying is that I have tried them, both two and four wheeler, the best money could buy without having one made out of 24 carat gold, and they are NOT for me! That is all I am saying.
    But, like someone else said a bit earlier in this post, it's really a matter of personal preference. Use one or the other with matched and proper arrows, fletch, and broadheads. Practice like you should at REASONABLE distances {for me that means 30 yds MAX and almost always Closer!} and providing you don't get "Buckeggers" when you draw down the deer will never know the difference between the Long Bow or the Recurve! :smile2:
    That's just my opinion from shooting, and hunting, with Bows for over 40 years or so now. I've used Bows to hunt Squirrels, Rabbits, some birds [using Flu-Flu's] Whitetail Deer, Fish, a snake or two over the years, and some other critters that I can't think of just now.
    I'm sure others will have their own opinions and most likely will not agree with me on everything and that is O.K. too. How else would we keep Archery Manufactures in business except by having different ideals and opinions!:wink: :smile2:
    Hope this helps one way or another. Thank You for making the post.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's mostly a matter of preference and hunting style. Hunting the thick areas which are my preference, a recurve is easier to draw and shoot without being seen. A long bow is smoother but the difference isn't that much. If you have problems with shoulders hurting, chances are your bow is overweight for you, you're not practicing enough to stay in shape, or you have a medical problem. Any bow that can put a sharp broad head on target will kill a deer....or anything else it hits.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    )esterday I broke down, made an executive desision! I now proudly own a 68 in asadag Viper longbow. not the fancy delux but I like the simple, cleam look of it. I even hit the back wall (target) at 30 yds. shooting no armguard, bare finger. love it. now if I can sneak up to shootin range of a unsuspecting clump of grass! ;-)

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    )esterday I broke down, made an executive desision! I now proudly own a 68 in asadag Viper longbow. not the fancy delux but I like the simple, cleam look of it. I even hit the back wall (target) at 30 yds. shooting no armguard, bare finger. love it. now if I can sneak up to shootin range of a clump of grass! ;-)

9. HoggyO

HoggyO New Member

State:
    PA
    Like some of my Brothers have said before..I like to Shoot Both, it depends on what and where I'm Hunting.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    see ya got a long bow, good choice. ive never shot either but have had the pleasure of talking to world famous trick shooter byron ferguson. he has shot an arrow through a diamond ring valued at over $30,000 on tv and shoots flying lifesavers at his shows. seen it twice. he also shoots a flying alarm clock blindfolded.

here is what he had to say. the long bow is a much more forgiving bow. far excees the recurve. when drawing a recurve if the string is not pulled back straight with the limbs the limbs will tourque. thus causing the arrow not to follow striaght. he demenstrated it and showed how the limbs of recurves can be twisted and how no matter how the longbow was drawn the limbs would not tourque and twist.

he shoots the long bow for this reason. it is much more forgiving thus making a shooter more accurate more often. and a man that can hit a flying lifesaver, im not arguing with,lol. if ya ever get the chance to see him or get a video ya wont be dissapointed.:wink:

11. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Any bowyer here? I want to learn I have been reading Bowyers Bible 1 through 3 and want to make my first bow.

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Just started myself, got the same 3 books and I've been all over the internet look'n up bow building, just made one so far and it cracked after 3 days, but I got the bug real bad, so I'm work'n on #2 now. If you haven't been there yet go here:

http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi

http://www.renegadearchery.com/building/bow_building.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/magic/jawge/boardbowbuildalong.html

the last one is the one I made, good plan, bad board in my case.