Long weekend and waning moon

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by gtbait, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Ok it's a 3 day weekend, for many. The full moon is on the wane. The nights have cooled a bit and we've got front after weather front slipping through most of the state. The metabolism of most any finned creature is on high. What are you AZ anglers fishin' for? Where?

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Blugills, Green Sunfish, Carp, Green Carp, FLathead and Channels. In Fresh water.

3. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan New Member

State:
    Az
    Channels and Flats in murky turbid water below a spillway and long lazy stretches with boulders...hope its worth the hike....I heard of a few gentleman hooking 30 to 40 pound Flats south of me in the upper verde...not positive tho...

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I made it a rule not to go out fishing on long weekends, there are so many people with the same idea to get out. And when you throw in a handful of idiots on the bank or water with alcohol, it creates problems with me. I will be out in a couple weekends though, good luck to all and be safe!

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    yep, best idea i've heard in awhile. i'm going to canals by calexico friday night, then home for weekend. too many screwballs out there on the water.
    enjoy in whatever you do folks, and be safe.
    gary

6. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Tofish good luck in the Calexico canals. I've fished most of them at one time or another. As well as the Salton Sea. I miss fishin' the Coachella drops. Even more so now that the entire length is lined with concrete. My point in bringing up the waning full moon was in regard to fishing at night during this 3 day weekend. Night fishing is a pleasure and a great way to beat the skiiers and water nuts. I lived in CA for a long time. There are very few bodies of water you can legally fish at night in CA. At least in fresh water and for Catfish. From what I've seen on the local lakes in this Phoenix area the amount of boat traffic can't hold a candle to any one of the SoCal resevoir lakes on a normal weekend. The fish adjust I did as well. At any rate I hope you all get a chance to overeat, nap and labor at nothing.

7. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    good luck everyone,
    ill be shooting dove tomorow morning, and then fishing for flattys up at roosevelt at night.

8. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I'd bet Dove "innards" would make a fine Channel Cat set bait. A White Wing primary feather as a bite indicator. These are the thoughts of a tight wad Catfisherman.

9. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    Now that there is a fine idea , dove guts and a wing strike indicator , how about the whole dove and a 6 oz sinkerLOL

10. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    There's an idea Chad. A White Wing topwater lure for Flatheads.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well, i made trip to calexico and had a ball. lots of fish, but no size to any. but who cares. company was great, and my pole was bending some.
    monday, i agreed to meet with a marine from yuma at squaw lake and using both boats, catfish that night. we decided to float from fishers down to imperial dam and just see what happens.
    he got to lake early, and i got there about hr before sunset. got boat unhooked and ready to launch, went to lift motor to remove transom saver, and motor won't lift. hmm? acted like dead battery but i'd just fully charged and checked last week. found corrosion on positive pole from rain, and cleaned. still dead. so, switch trolling battery, and it's dead. they are old batteries and think heat finally killed them.
    i flagged him down on other side of lake and we just went in one boat. ended up with one 3lb flatty, and he caught a 8 inch striper. but i was happy cause my lockjaw problem got broke.
    he dropped me off at dock about 0100 or so and decided he was gonna spend night out there. i walked up to the truck to pull it and boat to dock and put gear in. stuped wild burro had it's head stuck inside my boat. was eating the reeds i'd collected from other back water trips. wouldn't let me near so had to chuck rocks at the stuped thing before it'd back off.
    still a good night. flatty is in a aquarium right now until i clean it tonight. gonna be fun getting it out. didn't think of that when i put it in there last night. :angry:
    gary

12. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Gary sounds like you had a good night of fun. dangg burros are a pain aitn they, try one walking into your tent while sleeping will scare begebbers outta ya.
    Next time your in my area give me a call would like to meet someone from BOC to fish with. What area of Calexico you fish at, Central Main or All American?

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Earl, since now i have to buy a out of state license to fish calexico area, i've only fished it once in past yr. used to fish mainly east highland though. was just starting to fish central main when i retired and moved to yuma.
    i'll return offer. sometime if you ever decide to fish the river, let me know. maybe we'll be able to hook up. i'm always looking to meet new people and make new friends.
    gary

14. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I surely do miss fishin' the lower river. The area downriver of the 4th Ave. bridge holds a lot of fish. Some of size as well. I fished that section below the Cocopah bend often. Even during the heat of a summer day. There's always some shade to hide out under. As a matter of fact you could count on a half dozen spots for fish of a particular size. Where the main canal dumps into the river, just up from the park launch ramp, I've had very good luck for medium sized Flatheads. A typical night would be anywhere from 50-75lbs. of Flatheads during a 3 hour period. Never late into the night, usually within a few hours of twilight. I'm going to find some kind of work to take me back to Yuma. Just to live close to the river again.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    went out tonigtht cause was bored and hadn't been in awhile. had a good run and lost it. decided to move and tied up to shore at entrance to back water lake. long time sense i've done that. shame on me!!!! bite went crazy. four bites in 1/2 hr. got two of them. all i needed. some other guys catfishing little ways upriver so i went up and told them bite was on. hope they moved.
    not biggest,, but broke my streak.
    gary
    [​IMG]
    picture of 2gal container next to them. no one was awake to take picture of me. :sad2:
    [​IMG]
    gary